• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Fix for "Querying Master Server"

I've been having this issue for a few days, tried all the usual fixes/suggestions mentioned around here.

Could only get a game through Steams server list.
A seperate computer on the LAN was listing games fine.

By chance when looking through Procmon.exe output for killingfloor.exe network activity while hosting a test game I saw a network address I knew to be in my HOSTS file.

That address was the first entry, so I moved "127.0.0.1 localhost" to the top.

Servers came back after that :D

Can anyone else confirm this is the problem? as I did a few other things too.

Upvote 0
I've been having this issue for a few days, tried all the usual fixes/suggestions mentioned around here.

Could only get a game through Steams server list.
A seperate computer on the LAN was listing games fine.

By chance when looking through Procmon.exe output for killingfloor.exe network activity while hosting a test game I saw a network address I knew to be in my HOSTS file.

That address was the first entry, so I moved "127.0.0.1 localhost" to the top.

Servers came back after that :D

Can anyone else confirm this is the problem? as I did a few other things too.

That is what worked for me too last night. My old computers on XP and Vista were working well, but when I built a new computer with Win7 I couldn't see internet games. I checked the Host file on my Vista computer and saw "127.0.0.1 localhost". I changed the Host file on my new computer, restarted Steam and it worked.

Thanks to all who helped find/fix this problem.

Upvote 0
Querying Master Server

Querying Master Server

Hey everyone

Yea pretty much the same as everybody else, I have tried:

* Replacing masterserver's file (FAILED)
* Purging and reinstalling the game (FAILED)
* Disabling Windows firewall (FAILED)
* Opening some ports in my router (FAILED)
* Changing killingfloor.ini to recognize I'm behind NAT (FAILED)
* Deleting killingfloor.ini (FAILED)
* Deleting ClientRegistry.blob file in Steam's main folder (FAILED)
* Checking for Steam Client updates (updated, FAILED)
* Recopied the, masterservers.vdf , into the config folder (FAILED)
* Deleting and Re-downloading steam (FAILED)

I am playing on a Windows 7 operating system and this is my first go around with any Steam downloaded game. I can play the solo mode just fine, it's just that it wont connect to the master server and, obviously, I can't host games either. I think I'm getting the news feed though. Here's what it looks like as well as the actual Querying Master Server screen in multiplayer:

https://picasaweb.google.com/Marlis...id=8CeMC3O8b1YjbKdAyqoOLg#5631944844945035378[url]https://picasaweb.google.com/Marlise17810/DropBox?authkey=Gv1sRgCLOL-6q8iZaahQE&pli=1&gsessionid=8CeMC3O8b1YjbKdAyqoOLg#5631944844945035378[/URL]

The ports I entered are as follows:
7707 UDP/IP (Game Port)
7708 UDP/IP (Query Port)
7717 UDP/IP (GameSpy Query Port)
28852 TCP/IP and UDP (Allows your Server to Connect to the Master Server Browser)
8075 TCP/IP (Port set via ListenPort that your WebAdmin will run on)
20560 UDP/IP (Steam Port)

I read this article and everything seems to be in order -
http://www.kf-wiki.com/wiki/How-to_Create_a_Dedicated_Server[url]http://www.kf-wiki.com/wiki/How-to_Create_a_Dedicated_Server[/URL]

so yea, what do?

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I don't have those Master server files but get a game list fine.

I do have a "steam/config/MasterServer2.vdf" file.

killing floor used these addresses

tripwire.artofwarcentral.com:http <-- that's only for News
209.197.20.34:27010
63-234-149-83.dia.static.qwest.net:27011
68.142.72.250:27012

All green addresses are in my VDF.

Attached is my VDF if anyone else would like to try it.
Extract to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\config\" OR wherever you have the steam\config folder.

Attachments

• MasterServer2.zip
    300 bytes · Views: 3
Upvote 0
I've been playing this game since it was in beta and quit playing it as of last year because my clan disbanded. Anyways...I forgot my tripwire account info so I had to sign up again to chime in on this subject.

Just now I reinstalled the game and I noticed what this whole thread is about. Of course I researched here and found this thread. This fix worked flawlessly!! I am running Win7 64bit so I saved the MasterSever file in: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\config. Launched steam then RO and BAM!

For those that can't download the MasterServers.vdf from that link above; You can download the file HERE. Note to Windows users: the path to that "Config" folder will differ depending upon which OS you're running.

If you saved the MasterServers.vdf in your documents or Downloads Folder then either copy or move the file into that 'Config' folder.

For some odd reason I didn't have a MasterServers.vdf in the Config folder so there were no overwrites. Anyways...this worked great for me so I owe a big thank you to the original author
pals.gif

EDIT:
I broke the link I provided in my post

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Fix video comming up

Fix video comming up

EDIT : ok. add me on steam or skype if you want help :) "andysowhat"

heres is a video to fix this problem since i found out i continued to have this issue even after the "update" steam had to fix this problem :D good luck and good hunting!

my vid got deleted for somereason... having a new one soon up

lol here was my first go on showing how to do it xD... which kinda failed :D but it is a good laugh anyways :D
just skip to 00:22
‪ok lol'd.avi‬‏ - YouTube

Last edited:
Upvote 0
An actual Fix

An actual Fix

Simple, easy worked the first time;information at its' best - love this guy

found at [url]http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=19726577[/URL]

post_old.gif
31st Jul 2011, 22:08 #8 Razor-BladE
Wise Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehuk
I cant get a server list to load on this game since installing on the new pc?

Is the game actually down, or is this a glitch?

This happened on my bro's pc, it would just query master server and nothing would come up.

One fix, is to click on host game, then on 'listen'. You don't need to start/play the game, but disconnect. The servers should start appearing when you go on multiplayer again.

Upvote 0
Just got the game, love the presentation and the game, I just WISH I can have a more reliable way of getting into online games. Here's what's going on, obviously my problem is the game querying the master server and just staying there. I see no lists or anything. I remember reading a post that recommends turning on a dhao filter or something like that by right clicking the area where the servers names would be but I see no such option.

However the catch is, I can actually play online games by either going into the console mode and typing in "open (ip address)" or looking into the steam server lists and joining a game. While searching for a game I can only find games on the US East coast as having the filter set for other regions yields no results. I haven't attempted to host a game yet. It should be noted that I get no such problems finding servers in Team Fortress 2.

Please I need help I've tried almost every suggestion possible and even had a tech savey friend try to help with this issue but to no avail. Here's a list of things I've tried.

* Purging and reinstalling the game (FAILED)
* Disabling Windows firewall (FAILED)
* Opening some ports in my router (FAILED)
* Changing killingfloor.ini to recognize I'm behind NAT (FAILED)
* Deleting killingfloor.ini (FAILED)
* Deleting ClientRegistry.blob file in Steam's main folder (FAILED)
* Checking for Steam Client updates (updated, FAILED)
* Deleting and Re-downloading steam (FAILED)

Also unrelated question. When I first got Killing Floor, Steam automatically downloaded a mod with it but when I went and re-installed the game the mod did not come back. Where do I go to redownload it?

Upvote 0
windows 7

windows 7

my killing floor does the same as Originally Posted by InstantZzz
Hello, I'm currently having a problem connecting to the Killing Floor servers.
I don't know if its the same bug posted because I can't even join a game to the problem everyone else seems to be having.

I've tried uninstalling and then installing it again to no avail. I've made sure that Killing Floor is allowed through my firewall and I've even tried connecting while my firewall was disabled and no luck.

I don't have the router that is listed above so I don't think its that, my router is a linksys for the record and I use Optimum Online. and i run widows 7 someone tell me what to do please thanks

Upvote 0
I've done all this once again, this time with no success.

After hosting a listen server, I can at least see other servers. Even after downloading the master server files and setting them to 'read only', I still get disconnected every time within 60 seconds.

No more Killing Floor for me it would seem :(

Upvote 0