• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Fix for "Querying Master Server"

Morello

Administrator
Mar 17, 2006
Edit: The information in this post was out of date so has been deleted.

This issue has cropped up again recently. At the moment it looks like there may be problems on Steam's end. You may be able to find servers by using the Steam server browser instead of the in-game one - to do this right-click on the Steam tray icon and click Servers, and in the Servers tab make sure that you filter by Killing Floor and click Refresh. This should bring back a server list. If it doesn't then you can almost be sure that Steam is having more fundamental issues.

Also, Steam may have wiped the master server file for some people. Try hosting a listen server from the main menu, start playing and then disconnect, and then try finding servers again. Apparently this causes the file to be created.

Last edited:
Well - Bugger me!!!

I had one final go with a slightly different angle. I went back into [url]https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...1452-HCVB-6984[/URL] as suggested below and opened the link MasterServers.vdf directly. Then I Selected all, copied and pasted into the MasterServers.vdf file using wordpad, making sure that I remove all orig data from it first. Then saved and checked in properties as read only.

This variation may help others having problems.

Cheers all!

Please use the following process and custom file to troubleshoot the issue:

• Exit from Steam completely
  • Download this custom file: MasterServers.vdf - If the file does not download when clicked, please right click this link and select "Save Target As..."
  • Place it in your \Steam\config\ folder (You will need to overwrite the current file already in place)
    • Default location: C:\Program Files\Steam\config\
  • Right click this updated file and select "Properties"
  • In the General tab, make sure the "Read-only" box is checked and click OK
  • Re-start Steam and test the issue
  • If the issue persists, please complete the rest of this article

Upvote 0
I've had Killing Floor for about a week. I'm never able to connect to any servers. I'm unable to level, get news, join multiplayer... Everyone on my Steam account can see me playing, and I can see them, but I can't join their games. I've tried downloading things for the Steam folder, I've tried re-installing Killing Floor twice, deleted all local content, even played around with the connection options in the KF settings. Nothing seems to work. I've tried getting updates, but those don't seem to work either. I just enter Killing Floor, and there's nothing else to do...

Upvote 0
I tried exiting steam and replacing the master server files 1 and 2, making them read only and restarting. When that failed I manually replaced the text in these files as suggested by strewth. Another forum suggested waiting about 30 seconds in the server menu then refreshing, which also had no effect. My Steam client is fully up to date, and I don't have the option on my system to run in Win XP SP2 compatibility on this system.

BTW I assumed it probably wasn't a router issue because my roomate can play it without any problems on his computer.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
No connection

No connection

Hello, I'm currently having a problem connecting to the Killing Floor servers.
I don't know if its the same bug posted because I can't even join a game to the problem everyone else seems to be having.

I've tried uninstalling and then installing it again to no avail. I've made sure that Killing Floor is allowed through my firewall and I've even tried connecting while my firewall was disabled and no luck.

I don't have the router that is listed above so I don't think its that, my router is a linksys for the record and I use Optimum Online.

Upvote 0
Ok, I'm very frustrated.
I'm new to killing floor. Playing on a Mac. It worked fine the firts couple of days, then one day I opened it and there was an update. I Ok'd the update, but after that... I can now no longer do multiplayer, except when I join a game from someone playing via my friends list. Otherwise, I can do solo only. It's been like this for three days now. Not a single server shows up in multiplayer menu and none of the sort settings at the bottom of the screen are checked except difficulty and it's on "any difficulty."
And when I push refresh, nothing happens and it is stuck saying "Querrying Master Server."

Here's what I've done so far:
-I've seen the querrying server issue on the forums and have tried the MasterServer.vdf fix.... nothing happened.
-I've unistalled Steam completely, and reinstalled it. I've done the same with Killing Floor.
-I've deleted the "killingfloor" files that it said to delete when you go through the config file on a mac, and then reinstalled it like it asked. Still nothing.
-I've contacted the steam support service (three days ago)and haven't heard a response YET!

CAN SOMEONE HELP ME?

And if someone can help me, can they break it down so someone with only a little little knowledge of computers can understand and deal with the issue when it comes to Macs? like a setp by step process in lamens terms?

Upvote 0
Hello, I'm currently having a problem connecting to the Killing Floor servers.
I don't know if its the same bug posted because I can't even join a game to the problem everyone else seems to be having.

I've tried uninstalling and then installing it again to no avail. I've made sure that Killing Floor is allowed through my firewall and I've even tried connecting while my firewall was disabled and no luck.

I don't have the router that is listed above so I don't think its that, my router is a linksys for the record and I use Optimum Online.

just bought the game a few hours ago and basically, ^this^.

i'm a total noob with online PC gaming (this is literally my first attempt so be gentle with me) so it's probably me but i've read through all the threads here and tried numerous things to no avail, such as:

- i tried the replace the masterserv thing and my version of KF doesn't appear to have that file in the folders that people mentioned?
- i've looked for Killingfloor.ini and the closest i have is a .INT file...? no other files in that folder seem to contain the code various people have said to edit/correct.
- all the details for port forwarding i can find don't match my router (i have a DLink DIR615). portforwarding.coms screen shots don't match what i get when i go into the router admin page so it doesn't ever seem to work and as i lnow literally nothing i can't work out what to alter so that my software takes in the port changes.
- i've turned my firewall off completely.

i'm kinda desperate for help now because at the moment, the bottom line here is, whether through me being a computer illiterate moron (very possible) or a problem with the game/servers, i've basically spent

Last edited:
Upvote 0