• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Fix for Connecting (Index.rom) Hang

game start problems

game start problems

hey there, same problems here. Tried everything listed on this last thread, no results. In my case it never worked at all since I bought it (some weeks ago when the new version was released), Steam says there is nothing they can do as this is a 3rd party game, etc.
Copied in the new files contained on the .zip but no results ... when starting the game I only see the welcome screen and then nothing else happens, the screen goes away and I keep staring at the screen like a dummy.
Anyone else suggesting anything? Not really a technical savant but rather a happy, faithful player ... any advice is more than welcome.
In am based in Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Facundo

WinXP SP3
Intel quadcoreE6600
4GB RAM
Gtech 1GB VideoCard (nv95xx chipset)

Upvote 0
Alright, this crap is enough.

I just accidentally found an empty harddisk, so I backuped the other games and gave the steam reinstallation a try. I uninstalled the steam, made sure the steam folder was gone, and deleted any "valve" or "steam" **** in the registry.

After the reinstallation, it still hung AS USUAL. But there was one server, only that one, which i could join without any problem. It was a VAC-disabled server located in my country. Then i dropped out, tried other servers, hung, went back to that server, no problem.

Fine, since there was once, why not twice. I reinstalled steam again and got killing floor from another content server. This time, something was different:

- 30% it hung at index.rom
- 40% it hung at the map loading screen
- 30% it went into the game, but with long time on index.rom screen OR the map loading screen. The game was still not playable. If I was the only player on the server, ready/unready button couldn't start the game. If there were other players playing, the observer mode just went for 3 seconds then everything hung except me.

So, now what? This whole **** just doesn't make any sense. IMO, something on the steam server is randomly blocking my connections, which might be the corrupted data stored by killing floor too. And since Steam keeps saying some 3rd party none of their business bull****, you dev team has to figure out some way to bypass the blocking, which, not only happens to me, but many other players as well.

BTW, I noticed that some players mentioned they took a long break before the hang. In my case, I took several week break from KF before the hang, too.

Upvote 0
I have had Killing Floor for all of four (4) days when I started to have these problems.

Initially the Index.rom appeared this afternoon (I played one match this morning without any problems). I tried the patch on the first page and instead of the Index.rom appearing after trying to load into games, I get "Querying Master Server" and then it sits there indefintely.

I then uninstalled both KF and steam off of my computer. I then proceeded to reinstall both of these and then I once again had the Index.rom issue when trying to enter servers.

My apartment-mate bought the game the same time as I did and has yet to have this issue arrive on his setup.

Any info on fixing this problem would be much appreciated. We are in the NY area if it helps.

Upvote 0
for me ,i have install your fix (index.rom)
i restart the game ,

querying master serveur
complete recived 0 serveur !

i have save KillingFloor.ini ,and copy on new floder
like you have explain in first page ...

edit ,ok just see the post top of me ...
bug this bug is not fixed .... (it's joke ?,all know it and no fix .....)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So is this client related or server related? I just tried playing on my server, and it hangs on index.rom - but only after 3 or 4 connections to test the fast downloads on some custom maps.

I tried joining another server, and it worked. I have tried restarting my server to a stock map to see if maybe the custom map was the problem, and that didn't seem to fix it either. :(

Upvote 0
Sorry for double post, but I tried this and it seemed to work for whatever reason. Whenever I clicked "Join" from the bottom right hand on my server, it would hang on index.rom - but....if I right clicked on my server to open the menu in the server browser, and then hit join, it would work every time.

Not sure if they are related in any way, but it worked for me. Double clicking my server in the server browser worked as well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0