• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Fix for Connecting (Index.rom) Hang

Tbf

Tbf

To be fair its not always hanging at index.rom, it hangs on the splash screen between maps most of the time. Could be two issues here putting me off the scent. I've done a bit more diggin in the last hour or so and found that the CPU (Intel Quad Q6700) just sits at around 25% and memory updates are going on in the background, so evening though windows is saying killingfloor.exe is 'Not Responding' it is doing something in the background - so I can only assume I'm seeing the high map change times problem and the index.rom is just an occasional red herring. Logs also just stop dead which makes me think it is updating up until the moment I kill killingfloor.exe

Bugger, maybe I should have posted in other forum...

PS. RM3 - Day job is 'Net Admin' so I understand the what can make things stutter on my LAN - no torrents while Riscy is playing ;) and I'm on a 20Mb cable DSL pipe which is very good to be honest. Thing is I have also seen the same problem on a synchronus 4Mb 'Internet' connection i.e. no caches/proxies, contended to death liek domestic DSL is etc. I think it's more likely to be the client rather than the LAN/DSL or server.

ATB,

Rich

Upvote 0
ANG3L,
the steam friends offline thing is just one symptom of many, but the consequence is always the same, the game will hang.

I dont think its a client connection issue in the first place, its more like your client is running in a timeout, for whatever reason.

Riscyrich,
I think you are right, killingfloor.exe is still running, but something in the background is getting a timeout, and when you watch the server console while someone is connecting or the map is changing, you will see STEAMAUTH is doing a lot of stuff.

I blame the steam servers are to busy and some steam releated services like VAC, steam client authentication, perks or achievements cant gather/send needed data. Since steam is mainly build for source based games, this could be a problem with other engines and needs a special adjustment/optimalization.

And of course Im just guessing... :)

Upvote 0
Tail the log file

Tail the log file

Given that we think something is still going on I think I'm going to tail the log file and see if it can shed any light on the issue.

Even if it can't maybe at least it will show that killingfloor.exe is stuff running as it's producing log data...

I'll keep you posted as to my findings.

ATB,
Rich

Upvote 0
Well in confirming that ther was still something going on in the background I tail'ed the killingfloor.log file and extracted the last few parts (after a crash) to post here.

Basically finished a Lab map and next map was set to be Bed. The client did the connecting bit and fell into pre-start splash screen (loading) where I left it for five mins or so. I retuned to find the client still in splash screen (loading).

Here's last part of the killingfloor.log file to dump here:

ScriptLog: PreClientTravel
Log: Browse: 85.236.100.22:8357/kf-bedlam?Class=Engine.Pawn?Character=Agent_Wilkes?team=1?VAC=1?GAME=KFMod.KFGameType?Name=_Riscyrich_
Log: URL: Adding default option Class=Engine.Pawn
Log: URL: Adding default option Character=Agent_Wilkes
Log: URL: Adding default option team=1
Log: URL: Adding default option Name=_Riscyrich_
Log: Browse: Index.rom?closed?Class=Engine.Pawn?Character=Agent_Wilkes?team=1?Name=_Riscyrich_
Log: Failed; returning to Entry
Log: GP=TRUE
Log: Spawning new actor for Viewport WindowsViewport
Warning: Failed to load 'NULL': Can't resolve package name
Warning: Failed to load 'Class None.': Can't resolve package name
ScriptLog: New Player _Riscyrich_ id=84159f68256957d3d67b35cb78cb770f
Log: NetMode now NM_Client
Log: Collecting garbage
Log: Purging garbage
NetComeGo: Close TcpipConnection 85.236.100.22:8357 12/20/09 23:05:07
Log: (Karma): Level Karma Terminated.
Exit: Socket shut down
Log: Garbage: objects: 196674->79336; refs: 1351830
Log: Bringing Level kf-bedlam.myLevel up for play (90) appSeconds: 2952.265000...
Log: (Karma): Autodetecting CPU for SSE
Log: (Karma): Using SSE Optimizations
Log: Spawning new actor for Viewport WindowsViewport
Warning: Failed to load 'NU

This is where the log ends. Probably when I killing the killingfloor.exe process using task manager.

ATB,
Rich

Upvote 0
The error appears to be getting stuck into a state of repetitiveness, once failed it attempts to load it again until a timer someplace counts out, thus returning people to the main menu or desktop crash for some others, mind you in my case this takes literally 7+ minutes to return me to main menu.

Suppose this will vary depending on the strength of individual cpu's, and or features utilized in the cpu's.

Upvote 0
well guys i have a problem its kinda dumb one i bought this game yesterday just try it now and i had the problem we are facing now....but when i am looking in the folder killingfloor/system i cant find the file "Killing Floor.ini" i can find only "Killing Floor.int" i hope somebody can help me i would reallyl like to play online ;)

Upvote 0
This fix (1011) worked once for me, like the other fix I tried, which was deleting the System folder and updating the game on Steam. Am I gonna have to mess with the game's files whenever I play this game? Because this game has been unplayable for me more than half the times I tried to play it.

BTW, I'm updating from the Middle East (vgames.co.il) Steam server, but it's possible that this server doesn't have the game (it only has the very popular ones), in which case, Steam will try to use a different server.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Build UT2004_Build_[2004-11-11_10.48]
CPU: AuthenticAMD Unknown processor @ 2700 MHz with 2814MB RAM
Video: No Video
Can't find file for package 'D3D9Drv'
History: UObject::SafeLoadError <- UObject::StaticLoadClass <- UGameEngine::Init <- InitEngine <- FMallocWindows::Free <- FMallocWindows::Free

i just bought the game and have not been online as of yet. i live in Texas. and this came up after i waited 15 minutes for an update and tried to play the game. im not very tech savy as far as software goes, im better with hardware. how can i fix this problem to get my KF fix.
if someone could help me out that would be appreciated greatly! :D

DJoker

Upvote 0
CPU: AuthenticAMD Unknown processor @ 2700 MHz with 2814MB RAM
Video: No Video
Can't find file for package 'D3D9Drv'
History: UObject::SafeLoadError <- UObject::StaticLoadClass <- UGameEngine::Init <- InitEngine <- FMallocWindows::Free <- FMallocWindows::Free

i just bought the game and have not been online as of yet. i live in Texas. and this came up after i waited 15 minutes for an update and tried to play the game. im not very tech savy as far as software goes, im better with hardware. how can i fix this problem to get my KF fix.
if someone could help me out that would be appreciated greatly! :D

DJoker

It says "No Video", as you can see. It also says that it can't find the package "D3D9Drv", which is also related to video. That is, your graphics card.

I suggest you start by updating your graphics card's driver. Then restart your computer and try to play the game.

Upvote 0
The error this fixes is when you connect to a server it says "Connecting to... KillingFloor:/ip/Index.rom" and hangs there forever.

Yours sounds like a permissions issue with firewall/antivirus.

I just thought I would drop a line here and say I bought Killing Floor during the steam christmas special, I am having this issue with 99% of servers (I only managed to connect once to a SAW server), at currently I have not attempted the fix in the first post (i'd prefer steam to fix it for me, I don't want to mess something up more then it currently is).

Since this seems to be a steam/file issue, I am from Australia and presumably downloaded the game from a steam server/provider in New South Wales. Just wanted to let you guys know that it still exists on some areas of the world (and outside the US).

Upvote 0
Hang on Connection Screen when playing via LAN

Hang on Connection Screen when playing via LAN

Hello everybody.

My name is Nicolas and I'm from Austria (so I'm sorry for my bad English).
As I'm new to posting in forums I hope my question hasn't already shown up in this thread (I couldn't find it).

Has anybody faced this issue when trying to play via LAN when steam is in offline mode? I can connect to any game on the Internet. But yesterday we had a little LAN-party and we couldn't play Killing Floor because nobody was able to connect to me (other games like Operation Flashpoint 2 worked fine via LAN). I have the same odd problem with Red Orchestra. Online games work just fine but I can't play via LAN.

Any help on this would be deeply appreciated as i love both games and want to play them with my friends. (most of them haven't got good internet connections)

Thanks in advance
Nico

Upvote 0
Why does Steam need to be in Offline mode? If you have a connection to the internet(which I'm assuming you do, since you say you can play internet games), what's the advantage of Steam being in Offline mode?

If I misunderstood and you are simply saying that the game normally works, but then it won't work when you're not connected to the internet, then that is the intended functionality.

Upvote 0
Hi folks,

I'm new on this forum and bought KF on Steam with the Christmas Deals, like many people here I think :) .
Quite a good game but because of this problem (stuck on ip/index.rom), I was able to play only one time online... Before posting here, I've read other threads about the other router problem. So for now, I tried the router fix, which made the server browsing faster and also the fix on the 1st post, but this one didn't worked.

Many people seems to have this problem in the US but I'm in France... And I'm not the only one to have this problem, my friends who also bought the game during the holidays have the same problem.

But we played together some months ago in a free week-end on Steam to test the game and it was fine. That's why I think this is more a Steam issue than a game problem.

I hope that Steam will fix that damn issue in a few days... Buying a game which doesn't work is very disappointing.

(Sorry for the bad english, that's not my native language ;) )

Upvote 0
I got KF in the Steam Sale, and finished downloading it yesterday. I played some solo then tried multiplayer but whenever I tired to connect to a server it said "Connecting to... KillingFloor:/ip/Index.rom" and hung there forever. I found this thread, and used the fix, started up KF again and tried joining a server. It worked.

I then went to play it again today, but when I attempted to connect to a server I got the "Connecting to... KillingFloor:/ip/Index.rom" staying there again, and using the fix again didn't work.

My download server is UK.

Anyone know how I can fix this permanently?

Edit: It's working fine now, and haven't had any problems for a while- I think it may have fixed itself somehow.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
help please

help please

Hello, I was tired of KF getting stuck loading between maps (I live in Southern CA), so I tried downloading the file on the first page and replacing my system folder with it.
Now when I start the KF application, the welcome window with two guys and a scrake pops up and then the following "Critical Error" message appears:

CPU: GenuineIntel PentiumPro-class processor @ 2095 MHz with 2047MB RAM
Video: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family (1518)

Failed to enter Entry: Can't find file for package 'InterfaceArt_tex'

History: UGameEngine::Init <- InitEngine <- FMallocWindows::Free <- FMallocWindows::Free

Other than getting stuck on the loading screen, KF worked fine before I loaded the new files. And I've tried using Steam to assess the validity of the files and it said they were fine. Should I just delete everything and reupdate KF?

Upvote 0
Aww dude this is godlike :D

i owe you a big one for that i thought i never get KF working :D

I am from Germany... but my steam got mess up a lill bit i get all American contet (uncut games etc.) which are restricted in Germany.
I think that was the reason for the messed up content cause some servers in Germany work.

the delete system folder and copy over the package works perfectly :D

Upvote 0