• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Fix for Connecting (Index.rom) Hang

therajuncajun

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 20, 2009
After much hassle and headache with Z_Overlord fixing his game, we ruled out everything related to connection, maps, etc.

My final attempt proved to be effective, and it has proven to be at the fault of Steam and Tripwire collectively. The content servers for some users (I'm going to take a wild guess and say Californians are having this issue) are sending them glitched files since the update. These content servers need to be wiped of the latest KF files and re-uploaded.

I'm hosting the necessary files from my game on filefront as downloaded via midwest server. These fixed his issue and work perfectly.

Instructions:
Download http://www.filefront.com/14996029/KF-CorrectFiles2.zip/ - (Files updated for 1011)

Go into your KillingFloor/System folder and cut KillingFloor.ini and paste it on your desktop.

Delete your KillingFloor/System folder.

Extract the files in the .zip into your KillingFloor folder, overwriting anything it asks.

Paste KillingFloor.ini into the new KillingFloor/System folder.

Go enjoy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Joseph
Since this last update I can't connect to the main server to see servers to play on. Is this the error you're talking about here? I'll go ahead and try this and see if it helps. I'll let you know.

The error this fixes is when you connect to a server it says "Connecting to... KillingFloor:/ip/Index.rom" and hangs there forever.

Yours sounds like a permissions issue with firewall/antivirus.

Upvote 0
Well, I just did this procedure and unless it is just weird timing this fixed my issue. Instantly the server list is coming up now. Maybe it happened to resolve itself as I was changing these files though. Anyway, it's working now.

Haha. Well then maybe my solution fixes more than just the hanging issue. Ok then, I'm glad it helped =D

Upvote 0
After much hassle and headache with Z_Overlord fixing his game, we ruled out everything related to connection, maps, etc.

My final attempt proved to be effective, and it has proven to be at the fault of Steam and Tripwire collectively. The content servers for some users (I'm going to take a wild guess and say Californians are having this issue) are sending them glitched files since the update. These content servers need to be wiped of the latest KF files and re-uploaded.

This is purely a Steam issue. Many updates have ended up with an issue on only a single Content Server. Once someone figures out which content server it is, we are then able to let Valve know that they need to put new files up on that content server. Thanks for filling us in on the fix!

Upvote 0
This works for several problems: failure to reload, freezing on load, blob file error

This works for several problems: failure to reload, freezing on load, blob file error

This works for several problems:
Failure to load the next map after playing a map.
Freezing on the load or index screen (same as freezing on a blank black screen)
Header errors in the Steam ".blob" file.

I had all of the above problems after the big update with the three summer maps. My system crashed on every reload, froze on the loading screen, crashed my computer forcing a power down and restart, and caused a "partial header error" in the Steam ".blob" file.

I could start the game and play one map (any map) but it would crash when reloading the next map. (it didn't matter what map it was)

It crashed on every reload...

About 1/2 the time I could "control/alt/del" and "end task" the killing floor program that was not responding.

The other 1/2 of the time my computer would be frozen and I would have to power it off and restart the whole machine.

About 2/3 of the time when I had to power off and restart my machine Steam would not load... It would give a Header error in the ".Blob" file. Which I would have to rename and then restart Steam and Steam would then "update" me (reinstall the blob file) and I could restart KF.

I tried disconnecting from the the server before the next map loaded... But the game would not let me into the next server I chose, even if it was the same one I just left. It would either hang on the load (index) screen, stick on a blank black screen, or just crash the same as it would if I had tried to stay in and load the next map.

In the end, the only way I could play was to start the game, play one map, then exit and restart the game.

The above solution fixed all of the problems...

I was about to give up on the game entirely when the most recent updates didn't fix the problem...

SO THANK YOU SO MUCH for figuring it out !!!

I'm in Richmond Va. btw... in case that helps find the errant servers.

Upvote 0

Oh my! Totally the same problems here!!! (Except that blob thing.) Thanks a lot for your time for registering to the forum and writing this report, tggrinc!

Tripwire: When this problem will be fixed officially??? Do you know something promising? I bet a lot of players are in our shoes. Should release a new update with only the normal functioning update servers what should redownload all files for everybody, or something... ASAP before more and more players give up KF forever.

Upvote 0
"Tripwire: When this problem will be fixed officially??? Do you know something promising? I bet a lot of players are in our shoes..."

Apparently Tripwire is aware of the problem and they say it is a Steam issue. If I understand it correctly, one or more of the Steam servers has broken files and is throwing out monkey wrenches... A tripwire rep posted something to that effect earlier in this forum... Hopefully they can find the server or files and get it corrected soon...

I get the feeling Steam is trying to push this back at Tripwire so it may be awhile before anything gets done if Tripwire can't access the servers to get at the bad files...

I've copied my post and a link to this thread in several places on Steam's forums also... Hopefully it will help get more people to the right place faster...

Upvote 0
Thank you, tggrinc! We're glad to have members like you in our community, who are so helpful in supporting our community. Being such a small team, we must rely on people like you, rajuncajun, and many others to help fix some issues and then spread the word on how to fix them. We have continually done as much as we can, but Killing Floor has such a large community, it simply has never been enough without help from members like you guys.

Upvote 0