• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Fix for Connecting (Index.rom) Hang

Fix stopped working... back to crashing every other map...

Fix stopped working... back to crashing every other map...

I applied the fix above and was able to play without any crashing or loading errors until today. I loaded Steam and it said it was done downloading files into KF. It didn't say it updated KF and I don't know why Steam downloaded into my KF files because KF showed it was 100% ready on my Steam games list...

Now all of the previous crashes and symptoms have returned.

I ran the patch again but every server then wanted me to download "KF_Freaks_Trip" file.

After downloading the file all servers gave me a "KF_Freaks_Trip version match error."

I deleted all of my local files through Steam and manually deleted everything under the KF folder. I reinstalled KF through steam.

Everything loaded fine. I played one map, then another, then crashed...

Now I'm back to only being able to play one map at a time and then having to shut down and restart KF if I want to play another.

Apparently the fix only works until Steam updates you again... and then you're plucked again... And the files in the fix apparently don't match the current version of the game...

I don't know what else to do... I could try modifying my page file or cache files as others have but I'd rather fix the game than modify core parts of my OS to force it work around the game...

I'll have to go find my other posts and update them to reflect the bad news... :(

Upvote 0
My download server is set to Benelux, and I get the same issue, downloading these files now to see if they fix anything.

So thats 2 broken content servers I guess ^^

edit 1:
Replacing my game files with these did not work.

edit 2:
Changed my download server to European, i will report back if this had any use

edit 3:
EDIT 2 worked! deleted my system and maps folder, then let steam check the integrity, it reupdated all files now im able to play online again! :)

fixn.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Discoisntdead
Upvote 0
perpetuaL's analysis and fix

perpetuaL's analysis and fix

It seems like many people are having this same issue and I wanted to shed a bit of light on its cause while hopefully helping others resolves their issues.

My download region is set to US - washington d.c. though I've noticed in the recent past it being set to US - New York.

symptoms: cannot successfully connect to any server. endlessly presented with the "Connecting (F10 Cancels)" screen.

situational details: It was working hours ago, I didn't notice any update preformed by steam. I went to play another game and returned to killing floor (after adding some new maps to a server to try).

problem analysis:

(from obvious to not the so obvious.)
  1. restarted Killing Floor. result: unresolved.
  2. restarted steam. result: unresolved.
  3. restarted computer. result: not resolved.
  4. Verified the integity of the game cache result: unresolved.
  5. I've eliminted the content distribution error as I've tried multiple download regions. I then for each proceeded to verify the game cache and was presented with a message "Steam has successfully finished downloading Killing Floor". result: unresolved.
While searching for potential fixes, I came across this sticked thread; while it provided blame for the issue and causation to a limited scope, from its claim it

Upvote 0
One last thing, when this bug occurs it says 'Connecting (F10Cancels)', no space between F10 and Cancels, while it says 'Connecting (F10 Cancels)' when you're able to connect normally, also if you press F10 it will add noreconnect behind the disconnect message, something it doesnt do when you disconnect while not having this issue

Upvote 0
It seems like many people are having this same issue and I wanted to shed a bit of light on its cause while hopefully helping others resolves their issues.

My download region is set to US - washington d.c. though I've noticed in the recent past it being set to US - New York.

symptoms: cannot successfully connect to any server. endlessly presented with the "Connecting (F10 Cancels)" screen.

situational details: It was working hours ago, I didn't notice any update preformed by steam. I went to play another game and returned to killing floor (after adding some new maps to a server to try).

problem analysis:

(from obvious to not the so obvious.)
  1. restarted Killing Floor. result: unresolved.
  2. restarted steam. result: unresolved.
  3. restarted computer. result: not resolved.
  4. Verified the integity of the game cache result: unresolved.
  5. I've eliminted the content distribution error as I've tried multiple download regions. I then for each proceeded to verify the game cache and was presented with a message "Steam has successfully finished downloading Killing Floor". result: unresolved.
While searching for potential fixes, I came across this sticked thread; while it provided blame for the issue and causation to a limited scope, from its claim it

Upvote 0
Oh thank god

Oh thank god

I bought this game when it came out, but my wife did not, and she wasn't able to play on any servers, at all, during these free weekends because of this issue.
Hard to convince somebody they ought to buy a game when they can't get it to work properly. Worked if she hosted the game, though.

Anyway, finally able to get the game working for her with the 'delete system folder and redownload' method. Thanks!

Upvote 0
Working then not, working then not....

Working then not, working then not....

I have been away for a while, I was busy with work...
I'm still having the same problems as before.
Some of the fixes worked, none were permanent.

I tried the original fix in this thread and it worked until Steam downloaded files into my KF folder. It wasn't an update. Steam just said "finished downloading KF" I don't know why Steam did it, the game showed 100%.

I tried the fix again after the fix files were updated for version and it worked for one session. I went to play later and steam did the same thing again.

I tried setting my download server to "Europe central" which was indicated as a fix in a Steam thread, but that didn't work.

I tried the fix deleting the system folder and verifying the files and it worked for one session (several games.) I went to play later and the same thing happened again.

I just downloaded a relatively big KF update from Steam a day or two ago. Nothing changed.

I do not want to modify my page or cache files. I don't think I should have to modify my computer to work around an error in the game.

If I have to restart after every game I'll never be able to gain any more achievements because I'll have to restart after every game and won't be able to load in with my team on the first level of the next map.
(I'm trying to get the Hard/Long achievements)

If I have to "fix" the game every time I turn it on, so that I can play an uninterrupted session, it really isn't worth it.

I hope someone finds a permanent fix soon.

Upvote 0
Maybe a bit bothersome.

But you could try to compare files when everthing works and when things dont work and see what file changed. Then when things work just set that file to read only.

Or you can fix the folder and just save the contents of the system folder, and make a batfile that deletes the kf system folder and creates a new one from the master folder. That way it should always work.

Upvote 0
ANG3L - I know what you mean

ANG3L - I know what you mean

I've tried everything:

Disabling dual screen setup
Adjusting pre-cache settings
Disabling swap files
Re-downloading entire game
Re-downloading system files from Central Euro servers
Disabling AVG scanning steam folder

Just like most people, 1st game is fine then when map change starts the client just hangs (on splash screen - which is just silly cos the text doesn't match the picture of the zomb you see). Very, very occasionally it gets through, but if you watch process monitor it does say that KF has stopped responding for about a second. Can even see it in the FW logs as the server I was connected to attempts to chat back, but my client just hangs.

I'm pretty sure this never used to happen when I got the game so it must be update related.

It's a shame cos I really enjoy the game, just getting a little too irritating now. Esp when you find a good sever with a good team only to loose the connection when the client crashes. It's not like the add to fav's even bloody works so you can rejoin...

Any more ideas guys?

Cheers

Rich

Upvote 0
I found out, I get the connecting index.rom hang only when my steam friend list is offline which indicates me steam servers are busy or down. When the friend list is backup again, I can connect without any flaw to any server.

This could be a client side network issue, in my case Im sure its not, because my clanmates in mumble have noticed the same problem at the same time from diffrent locations over europe.

So maybe just re-downloading some files or the whole game is just a placebo instead of a fix.

I guess while connecting to a server 1.) your connection is stuttering because your little bro is downloading torrents on the same line :p 2.) steam servers are busy or down or 3.) the server you try to connect cant linkup a propper connection to the steam servers to do a authentication and you will hang.

Hope this helps somehow.

Upvote 0
Riscyrich,
Yup and as far as the in game browser and filters go they don't appear to work especially when it comes to finding a perk enabled servers, either thats broke or perk system is borked because my experience with them is very intermittent at best.

R3M,
I get this drop even when steam friends is online, also they is nothing wrong with my network, and if they is anything wrong in that department then it's more likely to be TWI's default choice of tcp/ip settings for this game.

As for the rest, either way no game maker would be stupid enough to make the online functionality which is the core aspect to this game, solely dependent upon steam services to function, even if the perks or achievements where to fail the game should still run fine.

To be honest I find TWI's lack of response to this issue belligerent, Did they muck something up in the core game?! or is they something wrong with the dedicated server executable file?!

TWI What is wrong with the game what did you change on the 19/11/09 ???? or what did you forget to do before packing the files up ???

Upvote 0