• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Fix for BT HomeHub / Thomson / BeBox etc routers disconnecting - walking into walls

Morello

Administrator
Mar 17, 2006
EDIT: Since a Steam update it seems this does not work any more. Use one of the workarounds listed below:

• connect to a game and when it disconnects you open the console with the ` or ' key and type reconnect (you may have to do this twice)
  • wait longer than 1 minute after refreshing the server list to join the game
  • add servers to your favourites and instead of using the Ranked / Unranked options, click favourites and connect from there - note that you will probably have to wait a minute before joining these anyway
  • join on friends through Steam
  • use the Steam server browser from outside of the game to connect
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is for those whose game has specimens walking into walls within 60 seconds of joining a server who have one of the routers mentioned or any router which is a rebranded Thomson. This is caused by a defective network rule on the router.

NEW FILE FIX - Download the MasterServer2.zip file attached at the bottom of this post, and follow the instructions below OR download the file and follow the instructions on the newly-updated Steam support page: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=1452-HCVB-6984

Anyone experiencing the issue(s) above with these routers who is unable to, or doesn't want to, delete the rule from the router (instructions here), should:

• download the attached zip file
  • extract the contained "MasterServer2.vdf" file into the "config" directory in their Steam folder, by default usually found at "C:\Program Files\Steam", over-writing the one that is there
  • mark the file read-only (IMPORTANT!) by right-clicking on it, selecting "Properties", and ticking the "Read-only" box and clicking OK
After following these steps, you should be able to play without any issues on KF (and RO:O) servers, and if you had these problems on any other Steam games such as TF2, you might find that this fixes those as well.

If this does not work for you, then you can try the following options: try forwarding your ports listed in a sticky (works for a few people), try the telnet fix (works 100% IF your router allows telnet access and you are able to log in to it), or use a workaround such as one of the following:

• connect to a game and when it disconnects you (you see specimens walking into walls) open the console with the ` or ' key and type reconnect (you'll have to do this twice)
  • wait longer than 1 minute after refreshing the server list to join the game
  • add servers to your favourites and instead of clicking on internet, click favourites and connect from there

For those who can't download the fix from here, open up the MasterServer2.vdf file (found in your Steam\config directory) in notepad and copy and paste the following in, replacing the contents.
Code:
"MasterServers"
{
    "hl1"
    {
        "0"
        {
            "addr"        "69.28.151.162:27013"
        }
    }
    "hl2"
    {
        "0"
        {
            "addr"        "72.165.61.153:27015"
        }
    }
    "rdkf"
    {
        "0"
        {
            "addr"        "68.142.72.250:27012"
        }
    }
    "gms"
    {
    }
}
Save it and make sure you make it read-only, as above.

Attachments

• MasterServer2.zip
    287 bytes · Views: 1
Last edited:
Reactions: sah
I have been wondering when this would come along, mainly because this is the only game that caused it so there had to be a work around some way. But I still thank you for being the one who implemented it. You have given me my game back and taken away my fear of the server browser. Thank you

PS works in Windows 7

Upvote 0
The MasterServer.zip-trick works partly for me.
It works until i disconnect from the server, when i join a new server it loses connection after 30 seconds... Then i can go copy the file again, put it in config etc. and then i have another try...

The other solution run-cmd-trick, cant make that work either, but im not a computerexpert so i dont want to mess my machine.
:)

Upvote 0
The only thing I can think of is that if you are sure that you have set the file to read-only once copying it over the old one, Steam is somehow bypassing it and over-writing it. You could try opening the files in notepad and checking if they are the same or not. What the file does is simply change the master server query to different ports so that it doesn't use the two that cause the problems.

Upvote 0
Tripwire has contacted the router manufacturers and Morello has posted ways for people to telnet into their router to delete the rule. The router manufacturers don't seem to care much, they think it's an issue that Tripwire needs to resolve. Only some of the effected routers allow people to telnet in, most do not have this low level access any longer, which means there's no way to delete this hidden rule.

Valve has been kind enough to supply us with this file for us to distribute as a quick fix. This satisfies the lazy router manufacturers and circumvents this ridiculous rule that exists in a number of routers from these manufacturers.

This has been a thorn in our side since the release of Killing Floor and we're just happy to have a working solution, even if we'd prefer a more permanent solution.

Upvote 0
Tbh these boxes are undocumented plastic PoS - just getting them to do proper Full Cone NAT (for hosting UE3 based games) involved so much messing about with debug commands and beta firmware (nearly bricking it in the process) that I've resorted to using mine as a glorified modem instead and would recommend that (ethernet bridging) as the only sure-fire way to entirely resolve the myriad of subtle issues they entail.

And by bypassing the devices' crappy routing tables and whatnot you can shave a good 10ms off your ping too. :)

Upvote 0