• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

FIsticuffs and Holster

[5.SS]Strother said:
The throwing helmet scene is quite funny but to be honest if I was in that situation I would just run. I'm kind of curious why none of the other 200 germans in that street bothered to shoot at that big american dude.

Ive oticed it is only the cse of What youwould do...im not you.

I would go on the full attack. I would not stop punching until he shot me or did other.

When it coes down to it...you have to weigh up your options.....in this situation...blatant Melle Punching vilone was the best option.

Nuff said.

Upvote 0
The throwing helmet scene is quite funny but to be honest if I was in that situation I would just run. I'm kind of curious why none of the other 200 germans in that street bothered to shoot at that big american dude.

Oh, that was just because of their "research" into the matter. They couldn't find an account of 200 Germans shooting a big, American guy, so they had no other choice but to make this scene...

Upvote 0
Cluase Von Wittybrain said:
Ive oticed it is only the cse of What youwould do...im not you.

I would go on the full attack. I would not stop punching until he shot me or did other.

When it coes down to it...you have to weigh up your options.....in this situation...blatant Melle Punching vilone was the best option.

Nuff said.

There was some good defilade a mere 10 feet from the Sargeant's position. I'd go there, pull out my pistol, and shoot the german at point blank range as he appears over the crest of the defilade.

Upvote 0
Maybe it doesn't have to be a frontal attack kind of melee. Example: Basovka as a german riflemen, your team somehow manages to overwhelm the AT position, you go to the left of the AT position, right before you fall into the trench a mg shoots your gun out of you hand which lands on top of the other side of the trench, there is no way you can get to it, even if you could you would get a ripped apart by the mg. You notice a russian facing the other way, picking off germans as the run across the grass field, your bayonet was on your rifle and you have no grenades, so as soon as the russian fires off his next round you decide to grab him from behind and hopefully take his rifle before he can rebolt it. I don't know how exactly this would work ingame but attacking from behind without a weapon is a more likely survivable scenario.

Upvote 0
Just give us an emergency combat knife that only appears after your gun is shot out of your hand, this would solve all the problems. If you are a rifleman then you have your bayonet, unless you attached it to your gun, so in that case you are screwed. But that would mean that people would have to decide whether they want the bayonet attached or not, and it could make for interesting gameplay.

O by the way when there is an enemy close to you and you don't have a gun, I really doubt you are going to charge him and risk YOUR LIFE to give him a black eye (India Jones comes to mind) The only time I would do that if I was a huge guy and the guy I'm attacking is a little weak shrimp who can't hold his rifle up.

Upvote 0
1) Discussions of realism in this situation are somewhat of a farce since getting your weapon shot out of your hand is not realistic in the first place.

2) I agree that RO soldiers should have some base unarmed method of attack, even if it is near-suicidal. If you somehow lose your weapon when you're 3 feet away from someone, you're not going to do a 180 and run 10 yards down the hall for cover when he's about to shoot you. Trying to grapple with them seems the most natural and likely option in that situation.

Combat knives are a good idea, but it doesn't help in the situations where you just got your weapon shot out 2 feet away from the enemy, unless you automatically draw your knife the split second your drop your weapon, which would be as unrealistic as the auto-grenade-switch from the mod. Knife/bayonette could still be a usefull option for situations where you lose your weapon, but have time to prepare before you go into close combat (ie you lose your weapon, but hide, then take an enemy by surprise). Also, I suppose in those neck-to-neck situations, being forced to draw your knife at close range may be better than trying to work out the complicated "grapple" system that realistic bare-handed combat would probably require.

But, it would still be cool if when unarmed, you could try to rush the enemy, grab his gun, wrestle him to the ground, etc. It's probably too complicated for RO though.

Upvote 0
But, it would still be cool if when unarmed, you could try to rush the enemy, grab his gun, wrestle him to the ground, etc.

I'm getting flashbacks to a nintendo game where you were an arm wrestler, that was just a bunch of button mashing. If we are to have grappling hand to hand wrestling matches then I'm going to need a 20 button mouse. O yeah did you even think that this wrestling stuff would be overused and look a bit to stupid?

Upvote 0
Wrestling stuff overused? In which computer games?

If the wrestling was done in a Mortal Kombat/Smackdown spirit, then it would be definitely stupid, but "real" wrestling (perhaps grappling could be a better word for this) would not be like that. Also, we're not talking about Greco-Roman wrestling.

I don't think a complex m

Upvote 0
I was just saying that it would be overused in RO. If people wanted to they could drop their weapons and charge people just so they could do the grappling and junk. After a while it would get old.

2) This option should not be a precision punch or another arcade-like solution.

Well if its not a punch and if its not a knife what the hell would it be? It certainly wouldn't be a kick, and someone breaking your neck or stealing the gun from you would be VERY annoying.

Upvote 0
Vonreuter said:
Wrestling stuff overused? In which computer games?

If the wrestling was done in a Mortal Kombat/Smackdown spirit, then it would be definitely stupid, but "real" wrestling (perhaps grappling could be a better word for this) would not be like that. Also, we're not talking about Greco-Roman wrestling.

I don't think a complex m

Upvote 0
Umm, Strother, do you actually read these posts before replying? I did say that the combat knife would probably be the simplest option. It's right there, point 4).

If people started throwing their weapons to the ground and knife-running around, I'd be happy to do them a favour and shoot them down like dogs! I really doubt that abandoning your weapons to get a chance at knifing people would be a very sensible thing to do.

I can't see that much bayoneting or rifle butting either, and they certainly haven't gotten "old"... I can't see why adding the combat knife would be any more destructive.

Upvote 0
Deathsai said:
Are you trying to be a hypocrite? First you say that rifles aren't the easiest things to fight with, and yet rifles are used frequently in Band of Brothers and, yes, Saving Private Ryan.

A lot of background research...like how a platoon of US Paratroopers and a squad of Rangers repulses an entire SS Division. And how a lone sniper saves an entire beachhead. I'd put more faith in Band of Brothers, but zero in Saving Private Ryan.

Let's think about reliable sources. I have, not once, ever read an account that says that someone was succesful in close combat with their bare hands.

There was that soldier from El Salvador in Iraq who fought off five Iraqis witha three inch knife... still thats not barehands though.

Upvote 0
von, I was the first one to mention the introduction of the combat knife. :)

Well if its not a punch and if its not a knife what the hell would it be?
I meant that if there was no punching and if they didn't add in the combat knife what would we use? Punching and knives are the only thing I can think of that would be realistic. Kicking would be stupid and grabbing guns out of peoples hands would be strange and very hard to implement.

Upvote 0
Strother, indeed you were the first to mention the combat knife, and initially I discarded the idea, because it would clutter the inventory. However, if it was made a passive weapon in that you wouldn't be able to choose it before your weapon was shot out of your hand, the problem wouldn't exist. And it would also remove the problem with auto-switching to grenades.

So yeah, a combat knife is a good idea. If the spade people get really loud now, I wouldn't suffer much if it was the spade instead. Both would add to the game.

On the other hand, the spade would perhaps feel more like a passive weapon, in that you would not want to switch to a sharpened spade while you still had actual weapons to fight with. So it might be more easily explainable to the next wave of people who will storm the barricades asking "Wyh can't I switch to teh spade? I want to swich to teh spade!11!!!"

Upvote 0