• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

FIsticuffs and Holster

Cluase Von Wittybrain

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 22, 2006
I suddenly found myself with no gun in Basovka Trenchs.

I had nothing...nothing!

And in front of me was the guy who shot the gun out of my hands.

I really wanted to punch him. but couldnt (or can you?)

Any way i think punch should be in th game...like Duke Nukem.

Seriously...it would have been so cool to get this guy.

So im sugggesting punching as a new melee attack...of course you would have to hit a few times...but unconciuos is enough i say?

Maybe add to the whole Melee thing....ATM..you can only really lift the gun above your head and use the butt or Bayonet. Prehaps being able to swing the gun as a club as well?

And prehaps a seprate buton just for a knife....but it is not in your weapon (Mouse wheel up down) but a seprate button to pull it out. (so as not to cramp the wepon selection and to make it like you actully have to pull it out.
and the puching of course..but punching some one out would have to be difficult.

Also Holster...that would be good. prehaps just to be able to run a touch faster....and incase someone wants to make one of those crazy in game movies that people make....rather than drop al your weapons.

I agree. The game needs a generic melee attack for unarmed people. It doesn't have to be so much like a punch, but a full assault with fist, tooth and nail. Heck, why not bash his head in with your helmet while you're at it!

Close combat is brutal, and a mere punch would be too... well... lame! I'd rather see the guy flail with his fists like there's no tomorrow.

I don't think we need knives or more melee attacks. Having two for the rifle, the bayonet strike and an overhead bash, is enough. I don't see why such a small part of the game should deserve that much attention. It's not Mortal Kombat, after all.

Upvote 0
I don't really think you are going to attack a man with a gun with your fists or helmet. In real life you would run away, and thats what you should do in game, it isn't hard to pick up a rifle somewhere else. The only reason I see a punch being added is if the enemy is right beside you and you are both side strafing. Maybe the devs could add in a crowbar (half life style) at random places sort of like how panzerfausts are.

Upvote 0
Vonreuter said:
I agree. The game needs a generic melee attack for unarmed people. It doesn't have to be so much like a punch, but a full assault with fist, tooth and nail. Heck, why not bash his head in with your helmet while you're at it!
Cause the animators would have to animate all that.

Vonreuter said:
Close combat is brutal, and a mere punch would be too... well... lame! I'd rather see the guy flail with his fists like there's no tomorrow.
You can knock someone unconsious with a punch, hardly lame.

Vonreuter said:
I don't think we need knives or more melee attacks. Having two for the rifle, the bayonet strike and an overhead bash, is enough. I don't see why such a small part of the game should deserve that much attention. It's not Mortal Kombat, after all.
Lol, I could just imagine a realistic FPS with all these finishing combos you could pull off,*neck snap* FATALITY! It would be cool though if you could stab someone with a knife and have it sticking in him as he falls to the ground. That'd be gruesome to witness.

Upvote 0
If you were actually in the situation you just described ...you of most likely would have put your hands up and said in broken Russian ..."I surrender" ...but since this is the Eastern Front and depending if you were a member of an SS unit or not you may have been shot anyways. ...so maybe taking a swing before going down is the best way to go out.

I like the helmet idea ...but let's not take this too far.

Upvote 0
Crucis said:
If you were actually in the situation you just described ...you of most likely would have put your hands up and said in broken Russian ..."I surrender" ...but since this is the Eastern Front and depending if you were a member of an SS unit or not you may have been shot anyways. ...so maybe taking a swing before going down is the best way to go out.
I think in a hot zone like Basovka where you have enemys swarming all around you, you're not going to take a time out to process prisoners when you're currently being attacked from everywhere. A guy drops into your trench, and gets his gun shot out of his hand and then says "Oh I surrender now" Naaaa not gonna work. Soldiers that surrender are usually defending and not actively trying to exterminate the enemy (assaulting).

Upvote 0
I think they could implement a simple punching attack, and give people the option.

Personally, I lose my gun, I run the fsck away, especially since, what with my luck, whenever I lose my gun, it's because I got shot by someone with a sub-machine gun. Not gonna go barrel crazy at a person with fully-automatic death.

But hey, if you wanna go out in a blaze of glory, go for it. :p

Upvote 0
I think this is a good idea since i have found myself many a time near someone (without my main weapon). and he just stares at me lining up a shot. If i had a pistol i could have a chance but normally i used the basic k98 or the russian equivilant. so i would be nice to be able to use your fists, but not many FPS support the hand to hand combat situations, so it would be nice to see this added. because it sounds like a good idea to me :)

Upvote 0
A guy drops into your trench, and gets his gun shot out of his hand and then says "Oh I surrender now"

lol!

I liked lord olivers idea but I don't think it is possible. I mean a smg guy without a bayonet can pick up a rifle that doesn't have a bayonet attached and then he magically pulls a bayo out of his arse and puts it on.

Upvote 0
[5.SS]Strother said:
lol!

I liked lord olivers idea but I don't think it is possible. I mean a smg guy without a bayonet can pick up a rifle that doesn't have a bayonet attached and then he magically pulls a bayo out of his arse and puts it on.

Good point... unless the bayo became a separate dropped item like the ammo... I can see this becoming more and more complicated.

Upvote 0
[5.SS]Strother said:
I don't really think you are going to attack a man with a gun with your fists or helmet. In real life you would run away, and thats what you should do in game, it isn't hard to pick up a rifle somewhere else. The only reason I see a punch being added is if the enemy is right beside you and you are both side strafing. Maybe the devs could add in a crowbar (half life style) at random places sort of like how panzerfausts are.
Yes in cqb you are going to attack with everything you can grab or bare hands (not fists but palms because you'll break your knuckles if happen to hit his helmet) if you have nothing else. I mean in that case when you are rushing forward and loose your weapon and the enemy is near. You don't have time to do anything else but pray and rush forward and hope you'll make it. And of course if you are far enough you try to pull back.

Upvote 0
PGD03 said:
Yes in cqb you are going to attack with everything you can grab or bare hands (not fists but palms because you'll break your knuckles if happen to hit his helmet) if you have nothing else. I mean in that case when you are rushing forward and loose your weapon and the enemy is near. You don't have time to do anything else but pray and rush forward and hope you'll make it. And of course if you are far enough you try to pull back.

No, you're going to surrender or die. A rifle butt or bayonet will make quick work of you. Real life CQB isn't like Saving Private Ryan, where people lose their weapons and get into 20-minute knife fighting scenes.

Upvote 0
PGD03, unless your within about 2-3 steps of the guy I would be running for cover. I don't care who you are you arn't going to rush a guy with an mp40 with your fists lol. You won't even rush a guy with a bayonet attached, or even without a bayonet he could smack your face in pretty quick. This isn't even taking into account the size of the other man, he could be a freaking ox who could throw you through a door. I'd say there is a 90% chance someone in that sitatuion is going to flee and not fight, that is if you wanted to actually survive the war.

Upvote 0