• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Firebugs and Husk's Fireball Launcher

A Civil Engineer

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
New York
Im not sure if such an idea has been discussed before, but I was thinking that when a Husk's fireball launcher that is dropped after killing a Husk, it could be collected by a Firebug and it could be used to give the Firebug's HFL a very slight fill. Basically, it acts as an ammo case, but it only fills the HFL by a very minimal amount (lets say 15 units). Now, this would only fill up the Husk Fireball Launcher if the firebug has one. If he/she does not have one, then it would do nothing. Im sure this will be downed since it is so insignificant and wouldn't help the class too much, but like I said, I just thought of it after seeing all the Husk's cannons lying around the ground after a wave or so and thought that they might have an actual use to them.

I also just thought of it, but if the chainsaw ever gets nerfed to a point where it has a limited fuel of some sorts, then this concept could be applied to a player walking over a Scrake's saw, while having a chainsaw.

That would be awesome. However, that would make sense. Can't have nice things here.

The only issue I see with this is that on some occasions, all of a husks giblets are husk cannons. This is probably an easy fix though.

Curious with your idea though. Would the husk cannon giblet then glow like an ammo box? Would it stay normal? Or would something entirely different drop as the 'fuel source'? Definitely interdasting and awesome.

Upvote 0
I have no problem with your idea, although it's pretty insignificant as well.

Although how would you tell the difference? If a husk was killed, and dropped a HFL, the firebug ran to pick it up but as he was almost there, 3 sirens burst from the shades and vaproirsed him, making him drop his gun... what's the visual difference between the two guns? Apart from one gives you a HFL, and the other gives you 15 ammo assuming you already have one? Or does it just drop a modded ammo box or...

Upvote 0

Although how would you tell the difference? If a husk was killed, and dropped a HFL, the firebug ran to pick it up but as he was almost there, 3 sirens burst from the shades and vaproirsed him, making him drop his gun... what's the visual difference between the two guns? Apart from one gives you a HFL, and the other gives you 15 ammo assuming you already have one? Or does it just drop a modded ammo box or...
I don't think the Civil Engineer's suggestion would create a new problem here...
(and to answer the question anyway, the dropped gun would flash green, like every dropped gun, and the husk-gib looks as always but gives ammo - ditto for the chainsaw if and when it becomes relevant some day)

I'd say up the ammo count a bit though. Why shouldn't this be a relevant mechanic? If it's absolutely over-powering the Firebug class all of a sudden (lol) we can still reduce the total ammo, or make the ammo-gain scale with the difficulty or even with the player's level to balance it again.

I like this idea, tbh. I don't think it should just be a useless gimmick.

Upvote 0

I think it would be better if the Husk didn't "drop" anything at all, but a firebug could pick it up right from the Husks arm. Something like press Use to pickup additional ammo.

Another idea would be to shoot the Husks arm before he dies, so that he drops the HFL ammo. No arm limb falling off? No ammo. Same goes for scrakes I guess

Upvote 0
Wow, you guys actually like it? Sweet! Well, as for the various questions asked, the canon and the chainsaw gibs, would indeed glow like the ammo boxs. now, would they glow for everyone, or just for their respectful perks (meaning, canons glow for firebugs, and chainsaws glow for beserkers)? And as for Murphy's question of upping the ammo count from each weapon, that can easily be worked around to find out what number would be fair. I only picked a low amount for now, just so that it can easily be ramped up as needed.

I guess the main reason behind this, is to encourage players who use perks like firebug, to try something different. And as for the chainsaw part, it seems to make sense since some people (including myself) do not like how the chainsaw is unlimited in how long it can attack. Ironically, the only comparison I can make for the chainsaw, would be like how it is used in Left 4 Dead 2 (limited "fuel" for the chainsaw).

Now, I have no idea how I could create a mutator for such a unique feature, but I would love to be able to see how it plays out or how people like it. Thanks for the feedback guys :)

Upvote 0