• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Firebug Fix

Dafe

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 22, 2012
I looked around, and searched, but couldn't find any threads specifically detailed to what my idea is. I'm sure it has been suggested, but where, I have not found...... Anyways

If I were to fix the Firebug Perk, I would make it so that ANY bullets, from any gun, were to set enemies on fire. I would change the MAC-10 to a regular bullet spraying machine, and only give the Firebug the "PERK" of being able to set enemies on fire with bullets.

That means, if you were Firebug, and wanted to buy any gun, or obtain any gun, the bullets from that weapon would set enemies on fire (except melee weapons, even though that would be cool if that was some-how incorporated).

This would give the Firebug a way to always be able to ignite enemies when you run out of "fire juice".

The firebug does need a few more fire-based weapons, and a bit more flexibility (I still maintain that in 99% of circumstances, the only reasons you'd use the husk cannon are "to proove a point", "because I'm that awesome, I can win with whatever" or "for fun". I just can't see it as a sensible choice atm).

ANY weapon dealing fire damage would be OP, especially as currently, the base damage of the MAC-10 doesn't change, meaning that the weapon would still deal standard damage, but with extra crispyness.

Upvote 0
I think it would be better if Husks drops fire ammo when they're killed. Since the Flamethrower weights 10 Blocks, it would limit the options of "non-firebug" weapons you can get.

So Pick-Up ammo boxes don't add ammo to Husk Launcher? If they do add ammo to Husk Launcher, then husks dropping ammo just for Firebug wouldn't be that great. The wonderful thing about Killing Floor is that you have to depend on what you buy to guide you through each level. Yes there are some weapon, and ammo pick-ups, but it should stay that way.

The firebug does need a few more fire-based weapons, and a bit more flexibility (I still maintain that in 99% of circumstances, the only reasons you'd use the husk cannon are "to proove a point", "because I'm that awesome, I can win with whatever" or "for fun". I just can't see it as a sensible choice atm).

ANY weapon dealing fire damage would be OP, especially as currently, the base damage of the MAC-10 doesn't change, meaning that the weapon would still deal standard damage, but with extra crispyness.

I don't think they need to add anymore weapons at all. Each perk has a few differences, and usually a big difference that seperates each perk (Commando - Can see health and stalkers, Support - can hold a lot of extra ammo and weapons, Beserker - better armor and speed, Sharpshooter - headhshot damage and weapon selection, Demo - increased explosive damage and armor towards explosives, Medic - extra life and speed..... Then there is Firebug - grenades set enemies on fire and increased fire damage..... It sounds very lame that the firebug has no Huge "Perk" to using it.

That's why Firebug needs some kind of great Perk increase, like bullets from all weapons set enemies on fire.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I had a fabulous idea of including one or two new zeds in the game that makes the firebug a desirable addition to the team, but I haven't been motivated to put it into detail in a thread of its own.

How about be even more useful and learn how to make it yourself. Though I guess if you can't even be asked to write about it, there is no way you would ever be motivated enough to actually learn how to model, texture, script and sound.

Either way - I believe the firebug is getting its own shotgun, a dragons breath shotgun. Though, that has been in the files for quite a while now. Maybe it will see the light of day on Halloween. Even then, I totally agree that the firebug needs a much larger load out. Seriously, they're the least appreciated (in terms of weapons) class, with only 3 choices for their perk. Making certain fire bug variants of existing weapons would definitely ease the workload on TWI, making this a viable chance of happening.

I can just see it now. An actual fire axe with some flames on it (either particle effect or just a flame paint job) that sets targets on fire.

Upvote 0
Though I guess if you can't even be asked to write about it, there is no way you would ever be motivated enough to actually learn how to model, texture, script and sound.

And even that is an assload of learning, practise, work, and trial and error. I don't see many people doing all of that at once, I don't think any game devs are that versatile.

For a person starting at zero, that's months of work right there, bro. You may as well go ahead and do something like that yourself though and then you can come back to me. Til then, dun judge.

Edit:

Also while you're at it, can you make a bren gun for me, please?

thx

Last edited:
Upvote 0
And even that is an assload of learning, practise, work, and trial and error. I don't see many people doing all of that at once, I don't think any game devs are that versatile.

For a person starting at zero, that's months of work right there, bro. You may as well go ahead and do something like that yourself though and then you can come back to me. Til then, dun judge.

Edit:

Also while you're at it, can you make a bren gun for me, please?

thx
I already do this stuff, but for source, not unreal. It took me about 3 months to learn, I've been doing it a bit over a year and a half now. Regardless, learning these things are a continual process.

The point I was trying to get across is that rather than sit back and wait for others to do things, start yourself. If you keep the attitude that "it will take too long" all you'll ever do is delay yourself. I started with source, I learned entirely through my own means, using the valve wiki. In most game design classes, doing so is considered learning to run before you can crawl, since the source engine is so old and different than other engines.

I just can't stand to see people on this forums who complain about stuff in game, make suggestions, make suggestions about 'balancing' something that is 'op', yet they never prove their theories and make their ideas even something more than a wall of text.

Upvote 0
Why must it be a special never before seen weapon? The firebug is at its core a flamethrower class. Instead of fancy off the wall weapons like husk launcher, or a gun that ignites (altho I love that gun) the pyro should get an upgraded flamethrower that even at rank 6 couldn't be bought until at least wave 5. Maybe it shoots green flames or something strange like that.

Upvote 0
Why must it be a special never before seen weapon? The firebug is at its core a flamethrower class. Instead of fancy off the wall weapons like husk launcher, or a gun that ignites (altho I love that gun) the pyro should get an upgraded flamethrower that even at rank 6 couldn't be bought until at least wave 5. Maybe it shoots green flames or something strange like that.

I prefer the flamethrower over all Firebug weapons. I don't think "upgrading" the flame thrower is the answer. The Firebug Perk needs a huge reboot, and if all bullets set enemies on fire, you would have a lot of players trying this out or converting to Firebug.

Also, the firebug could have a "better visibility" when using flame items. Say, 75% of the animated fire seen by firebugs is now see through? Just the outside border of the flame would be visible and the rest see through to maintain better vision when using flame thrower, or when a swarm of burning enemies is coming...

Something to give us players an extravagant reason to use firebug!

Upvote 0
The Firebug Perk needs a huge reboot, and if all bullets set enemies on fire, you would have a lot of players trying this out or converting to Firebug.

Another reason against this idea is that the weapons would still be offperk. This means that the firebug either needs to befriend other classes and get them to buy him weapons (mostly works, but sometimes doesn't), or needs to fork out

Upvote 0
Argument lesson 101:
Don't take a person's argument against an idea, and use it as an argument for the same idea without changing it in any way or explaining why you've just taken it on a 180.

"Another reason against this idea is that the weapons would still be offperk"

Yep, and the bullets from those off-perk weapons would light enemies on fire. Doesn't matter to me how much it costs, or if I have to "be-friend" somebody to help me out. I would play the shxt out of firebug if there were an ability to carry around an ak and a basic shotgun to set enemies on fire. Maybe you don't feel firebug needs that sort of buff. I feel the Firebug is most of the time exceptionally boring. And instead of creating more new guns, just apply the ability of what the Mac-10 naturally does, to the perk itself, and you have a whole new selection of "burn-em up" gameplay. I for one would probably have a few good months with this perk change before switching back to anything else.

Upvote 0