• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Fire & Maneuver Realism Mod

WE LOVE YOU.

this is awesome.
just awesome.

one suggestion(i've got plenty but most appears to be already covered).

can the different sound volumes be tweaked?

example: the volume of human voice should be 10%, yelling, 20%.
gunfire, when a round goes off, should be 70% (thus, masking most other sounds). arty landing close by, should be 100%.

i find the current volumes ridiculous. i can be firing away and hear someone cry out that he got wounded in an adjacent room.

Reactions: pepihoh and GRIZZLY
Upvote 0
Many thanks Gentrinity for taking this on - if you make this it'll probably save the game for me!

If I could make a plea it would be: don't put time and effort into the bandaging mechanic, just ditch it. As Grizzly pointed out, getting "killed" in RO1 could be viewed as becoming a non-mortal* casualty (and as you pointed out, casualty does not = KIA). Medics tended to evacuate casualties so that they could be properly treated off the battlefield, if possible, rather than patch them up so they could carry on fighting. Even if "patching up" was done I would think it would take longer than your average RO2 round.

You could have people incapacitated (can't walk, can't aim, whatever) to simulate the fact that not everyone dies upon being hit, but I think players would become frustrated with that.

*by this I mean someone who does not have a mortal wound, rather than someone who turns into the undead

Upvote 0
@GRIZZLY

Yeah, that's mostly map side, including the Recon plane. You can turn that off there. I will obviously offer map makers a "recommended config" that they can hopefully use to make the maps work with what I"m going to offer.

@LeftHandPath

Yeah, I plan on using all of the effects in RO2 to some degree. I really have to play with them and get them working so people can see what I'm picturing. I think it's going to work real well.

@Eug_C

Thanks for the semi-homoeroticness (unless you're a chick of course, then it's cool) :D

I do have some minor plans on working on the sound volume, especially for bullet cracks and explosions. There definitely needs to be a feel like you're in a loud environment, it would help out a lot with the suppression.

@Father Ted

Thanks, I'm glad I can be of service to the community. Forgive me father for I have sinned. It's just one of those things that I'm going to have to do and let people play with it. A medic will be more of a unit match thing, while public servers will feature more buddy-buddy revival. Because I want to make respawning a bit more cumbersome, that will put more of a premium on people sticking together so they can revive each other. I know it sounds arcady, but you're just going to have to see it. Ultimately, even if it's a bit arcady, if it keeps people together and not going off by themselves, then I'll have it in there just for that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Because I want to make respawning a bit more cumbersome, that will put more of a premium on people sticking together so they can revive each other. I know it sounds arcady, but you're just going to have to see it. Ultimately, even if it's a bit arcady, if it keeps people together and not going off by themselves, then I'll have it in there just for that.

OK, I appreciate the logic there.

Another thought I had was to make it so that you'd only be able to call up the overhead map if you were either: team leader, squad leader, or within a certain radius of the TL or SL. This could have a similar effect to what you're suggesting above - an arcady way of persuading people to stay with their squad

Upvote 0
I have a suggestion, add adrenalin rushes and fatigue.

Make the sprinting speed slower, but when the player is under fire increase the speed and make him sprint regardless of his stamina levels. However reduce the morale for the player if they sprint while being without stamina when they are in a "adrenalin rush" sprint. After that reduce the maximum stamina they can have while fully rested to stimulate fatigue. The worst thing is players stopping in the middle of the field because they are tired while a mg gunner is firing upon them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The worst thing is players stopping in the middle of the field because they are tired while a mg gunner is firing upon them.

Players should manage their stamina. Like a lot of things to do with "realism" in these games, this suffers from the fact that players don't feel the pain. If we could we'd all keep the sprint key pressed when moving over open ground, because there's no physical feedback when doing so. The game tries to make you behave like a real human by placing a limit on the length of time you can sprint, even though you, sitting at your PC, don't see why you can't run for ever.

It may be frustrating to have this artificial limit on movement imposed, but what you should aim to do is sprint from cover to cover. If the terrain doesn't allow this, avoid it, or jog across as you would have to in real life - adrenaline should only be able to take you so far.

Upvote 0
I have a suggestion, add adrenalin rushes and fatigue.

Make the sprinting speed slower, but when the player is under fire increase the speed and make him sprint regardless of his stamina levels. However reduce the morale for the player if they sprint while being without stamina when they are in a "adrenalin rush" sprint. After that reduce the maximum stamina they can have while fully rested to stimulate fatigue. The worst thing is players stopping in the middle of the field because they are tired while a mg gunner is firing upon them.

This is actually a great idea. Just to make it easier to code it should be implemented as an auxiliary sprint that players choose to use (as opposed to actually 'unleashing' the adrenaline under fire) ... Unless that's what you meant in the first place :p

Upvote 0
Players should manage their stamina. Like a lot of things to do with "realism" in these games, this suffers from the fact that players don't feel the pain. If we could we'd all keep the sprint key pressed when moving over open ground, because there's no physical feedback when doing so. The game tries to make you behave like a real human by placing a limit on the length of time you can sprint, even though you, sitting at your PC, don't see why you can't run for ever.

It may be frustrating to have this artificial limit on movement imposed, but what you should aim to do is sprint from cover to cover. If the terrain doesn't allow this, avoid it, or jog across as you would have to in real life - adrenaline should only be able to take you so far.

That is way I am proposing to decrease the current sprint speed and call it running or something, and add the "sprinting for your life" speed which would only activate when you are under fire and suppressed. Of course, if you did not have any stamina at that point this sprint is "activated" this would result in penalties such as a hit to your morale and fatigue which would result in decreasing your maximum stamina. It would also require you to recover after such a tiring action, like adding blur to your screen and making almost impossible to return fire. Maybe even add a freeze to the stamina regeneration for about 10 seconds or so.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That is way I am proposing to decrease the current sprint speed and call it running or something, and add the "sprinting for your life" speed which would only activate when you are under fire and suppressed. Of course, if you did not have any stamina at that point this sprint is "activated" this would result in penalties such as a hit to your morale and fatigue which would result in decreasing your maximum stamina.

Please no. Giving bonuses to people because they are under fire is not good. That's the reverse of suppression, really

Upvote 0
Please no. Giving bonuses to people because they are under fire is not good. That's the reverse of suppression, really

Did you even read my posts?

There is a temporary bonus but with a cost. Would you when being fired upon actually run slower or would you get the hell out of there the fast as you can as adrenaline pumps thorough you? Ever heard about the fight or flight response? And I am not saying that you could run through the entire map with this sprint or something like that, just short distances.

Upvote 0
I read your post, don't worry. I don't like that people under fire run faster, period. Just imagine the rammifications of this. Putting suppressive fire on enemies will give them the ability to charge you better.

Blindly charging enemy positions is not really a good tactic so really there would not be any problems. And, as I already said, the normal sprint speed would be reduced, so the "sprinting under fire" would be the same or slightly faster as the normal sprint is in RO2 now.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Looks great except for the medic class. I'm also be careful about increasing bandaging time too much. More than 10 seconds is excessive IMO. 30 is an eternity in RO. 7-8 is the sweet spot I think. (count it out in your head it's still quite a while to be completely vulnerable)

Please ditch MKB/AVT completely too. Why bother having any? And please do not nerf SMGs. In RO1 they were a joke. If 70% of the team is bolts it is fine if a few players have a "superior" weapon.

Even though on the one hand the jogging speed in RO2 is much more like how someone could jog in reality, I do think it encourages run-n-gun, which is not good.

I'm also torn on the issue of zoom.

But perhaps it would be better to artifically hamper the player to slow the game mode down. I'm not sure about that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I read your post, don't worry. I don't like that people under fire run faster, period. Just imagine the rammifications of this. Putting suppressive fire on enemies will give them the ability to charge you better.

I agree. I like his idea in general though... However - It shouldn't be implemented based on being fired at. You should be able to exert yourself BEYOND maximum stamina at some cost (lower max stamina from fatigue, or just a tripled stamina recharge time)

This way players would ONLY use this sprint function IF they NEED to survive and their stamina has run out - using it just for transporting yourself to a location would be disadvantageous because of the fatigue.

He makes a good point that people will exert themselves beyond reason if they are afraid of imminent death.

However it should be the player's option to use it so that we don't have some buggy feature where people are randomly running fast because bullets are flying by them.

Upvote 0
I agree. I like his idea in general though... However - It shouldn't be implemented based on being fired at. You should be able to exert yourself BEYOND maximum stamina at some cost (lower max stamina from fatigue, or just a tripled stamina recharge time)

This way players would ONLY use this sprint function IF they NEED to survive and their stamina has run out - using it just for transporting yourself to a location would be disadvantageous because of the fatigue.

He makes a good point that people will exert themselves beyond reason if they are afraid of imminent death.

However it should be the player's option to use it so that we don't have some buggy feature where people are randomly running fast because bullets are flying by them.

As I said it would bring penalties in terms of increased weapon sway, freezing the stamina regeneration for about 10 seconds, and reduce the overall maximum stamina if the player was without stamina when this "sprint" began.

Pressing a button activate something that would come as an automated thing in real life is somehow unnecessary to me and gamey.

And about that players would start running randomly fast, the answer is they would not. It is still in your control as you have to press the sprint button to start this "fast sprint". I am maybe even thinking that a player should reach a certain level of suppression to activate this "fast sprint".

Upvote 0
About the stamina, I think you should be able to run as much as you want, or at least for a good long time. But as soon as you stand still, you will start breathing very deeply and fast. This will totally distort your aim. It's you who will have to interpret how long you are going to run. In situations where you need to get out you can still run, but if you run in the wrong situation you might end up exhausted behind your gun when you have a clear shot on the enemy.

No indicators, except for heavier breathing noises when running really far.

I think that's realism.

Upvote 0
About the stamina, I think you should be able to run as much as you want, or at least for a good long time. But as soon as you stand still, you will start breathing very deeply and fast. This will totally distort your aim. It's you who will have to interpret how long you are going to run. In situations where you need to get out you can still run, but if you run in the wrong situation you might end up exhausted behind your gun when you have a clear shot on the enemy.

No indicators, except for heavier breathing noises when running really far.

I think that's realism.

Agreed. Also the hold breath functionality should simply be disabled when low on stamina.

Upvote 0