• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Fire & Maneuver Realism Mod

gentrinity

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 26, 2009
Update:

Apparently weapon load-outs are in fact done through code as defaults. I will add this to my mod features. They are in bold in the Weapon Systems

Goal

The purpose of this mod is to modify gameplay so fire and maneuver tactics can work on a public server or private unit match, provided players understand how the mod works. It should in theory work irrespective of the map or game type, or whether it's one of the larger mods being planned or smaller ones. This mod also attempts to achieve something new; bringing realism to a pub server. This is going to be done by increasing morale effects when going off by yourself and rewarding players more for team play, like suppression points and following orders.

***Please Read***
Before you read the feature list, there are a few things I would like everyone to know;

a.) Some of these features are controversial as many people have argued that they are not an accurate representation of what happens in real life. I have research and debated a vast majority of these feature additions and I plan on implementing things based on the research I have done. If you wish to debate a feature, please PM me or join me on Ventrilo. I would like this thread to answer questions and maybe get feature requests about the mod and not delve into lengthy debates. Ideas and Suggestions has plenty of threads that discuss these features, please debate there.

b.) Certain features are left out because they are map or server specific, most notably, weapon load-outs, respawns, and recon/arty. The unit mappers and server owners will have to decide how to best implement realism on that end. I may, however, provide a list of recommendations for server owners and unit mapper's as to which settings will be most appropriate for this mod.

c.) While I have identified the code for some of these features, some I have not. This is a list of things I either know I can probably mod or I wish to mod. If a feature does not make it, there's a good chance I found out it's not possible.

d.) Please keep feature requests limited to only those things that directly impact gameplay and require coding. Of course, if you're not sure, go ahead and ask, I'm not going to be rigid about this either.

Feature List:

Suppression and Morale
- Increased sway, recoil, and other stats when suppressed
- Increased aim-snapping making returning accurate fire more difficult
- Louder bullet whip/whizz (As proposed by Nezzer)
- Morale system will be based on proximity to squadmates and teamleaders
- Low morale will produce, with longer duration, the following effects on players;
  • Flinching (bullets passing by you cause you to flinch more)
  • Shakiness (Increased sway, and recoil)
  • Tunnel Vision (FOV/Zooming reduced and Depth of Field causing the sides to blur out)
  • Desperation (Double vision and color desaturation)

Weapon Systems
- No ranking bonuses, everyone wields the same weapon
- Increased recoil and sway when weapon is not rested
- Fatigue will impact sway and recoil more
- Detacheable bayonets
- Zooming will be decreased, but some zooming will be present to simulate focusing
- Weapon lag will be increased (time it takes for the iron sights to line up)
- Weapon lag will be added when moving between crouch and standing (as proposed by Proud_God)
- Bringing up sights will take longer and will be off center
- Weapon load-outs will be balanced with an emphasis on rifles
- A new Elite Assault class will be created that will feature just 1 MKB/AVT for each side

- General movement speed will be decreased
- Reloading will take longer
- Melee will be less lethal, rifle butts will take several hits to kill
- Random weapon jamming requiring a reload to fix

Health System
- Bandaging yourself will be more lengthy and less efficient
- Teammates can bandage you at a faster and more efficient rate
- Wounds may re-open if a lot of force is exherted
- A Medic class will be added that will produce the most efficient bandaging
- A shot to the arm may drop your weapon
- Arm wound will adversely affect recoil and sway, as well as reload times and sighting
- Leg wound will either reduce stamina drastically or limit the player to prone or crouch
- Getting hit at all will cause a substantial jerk or other effect
- Being wounded will lower morale, causing suppression to effectively be more ponounced

Cover System
- Ability to get into cover from Prone
- Different animation for engaging from corners (exposing yourself less)
- Ability to go crouch when dug into a corner. (As proposed by Trips)
- Lowered posture to ensure completely hidden from cover
- Prone will have a peak feature with appropriate animation

Squad and Teamwork
- Suppressing an enemy will award points
- Killing a suppressed enemy will award both the killer and the suppresser additional points
- Following orders given by a superior will award points
- Infantrymen will have a new animation where they point at a target (As proposed by Ritter)
- Team leaders will have compasses

Q&A

I will continuously update this section and answer anything that I believe is relevant to the mod.

1.) Won't getting points for suppressing enemy's reveal their position?

Yes, but it's up to the server owners to fix that. You can effectively delay messages long enough, or disable them all together so as to minimize this effect. Either way, stealth was generally hard in WW2 when you were in a company/battalion. Also, if an MG sprays bullets the way of an enemy when he does not know whether there is one or not, he is effectively giving away his position and wasting ammunition. The exploit has a definite trade-off, making this issue less of an issue for me. I am more interested in the positive effects it's going to have; more covering fire.

2.) How bad is the suppression going to be?

Suppression is going to be as bad as you allow it to be. However, color desaturation, blur, and double vision will be reserved more for low morale effects. Aim-snapping will be the focal point of suppression when having high morale. Lone wolfers will be suppressed more easily and their suppression effects will be harsher. Also, the three effects mentioned (shakiness, tunnel vision, and desperation) will be gradual, where shakiness will happen during the initial stages of suppression, and the more suppression and the lower the morale, the more it gradually moves from tunnel vision effects to desperation effects, which are planned to make returning accurate fire almost impossible.

3.) What is aim-snapping?

This is the effect that Darkest Hour had where your sights would jolt when a bullet whizzed by your head. The purpose of the effect is to make returning accurate fire more difficult when getting shot at, thus extending firefights. It is completely realistic as long as one realizes that it simulates flinching. A soldier's nerves will be extra sensitive because of all of the adrenaline pumping through him, so anything will startle him at this point. A bullet whizzing over your head or hitting the ground or cover will most certainly cause a flinch, either from just from being startled/scared or because of the fear of debris hitting their eyes.

4.) How bad is the recoil and sway going to be?

It will be in between RO1 and RO2. The latter has a impressive breathing system that makes the rifle sway based on that, and the adjustment will incorporate the same system, albeit more pronounced. This will reward people who think about cover more, so as to rest their weapons. Recoil will require the player to have to compensate themselves a little more. This way, experienced soldiers will compensate for sway and recoil themselves, rather than having the engine do it for you with a ranking system.

5.) Will MGs have a higher impact on gameplay?

Because of the way suppression will work in my mod, MGs will automatically have a higher impact on the battlefield because suppression itself will impact soldiers more. Whether further adjusting of the suppression values for each weapon will be needed will require the new suppression system to be implemented first to see just how much of an impact the MG will have. If the MG underperforms or overperforms, the values will be adjusted accordingly, however, the former seems unlikely. The goal of this mod is to make the machine gun the rightful owner of the battlefield again, but I also do not want to make the gameplay too unbalanced.

6.) How will the bandaging system work and is it a good idea to have a medic?

This mod plans on representing bandaging in a way that is still fun within the context of the gameplay. This means that it can't be ultra-realistic, but at the same time, does need some representation in the game. Players will be able to bandage themselves at a much slower rate than current stock RO2, players will then be able to bandage other players for faster results, and a new medic class would have the fastest results, if he were added to the map. The plan for a medic is a gameplay feature that is mostly intended for the realism community when they hold scrims. I personally do not see this class working too well in a pub server, however, that is up to the server owners to decide. Ultimate, they can add the class to the maps themselves, and maybe even through a mutator.

Also, I would also like to add a system similar to Arma 2, where there are less deaths, but you are incapacitated and need the assistance of teammates. The mod would still retain death when hit in the vital areas, but this would reduce the lethality of certain shots, so not every type of shot is going to kill you and firefights can last even longer, so long as your teammates are there to help you out. I will not add this to the feature list because I don't know if it's possible, nor whether the realism community will like it. However, given that Arma 2 is one of the most realistic war shooters out there, the realism community shouldn't think it's an outlandish idea.

7.) When will this mod be released?

Right now, the SDK can't compile code. As soon as the SDK is available and working properly, ETA is estimated anywhere between 1 to 3 months, however, features will be released in bunches, so you won't have to wait till everything is done in order to play. The weapon mechanics, morale, and suppression systems are the highest priority right now.

Ventrilo Server:

vent2.gameservers.com
pass: 504th

Last edited:
Updated:

5.) When will this mod be released?

Right now, the SDK can't compile code. As soon as the SDK is available and working properly, ETA is estimated anywhere between 1 to 3 months, however, features will be released in bunches, so you won't have to wait till everything is done in order to play. The weapon mechanics, morale, and suppression systems are the highest priority right now.

Upvote 0
You should also increase the volume of bullet cracks and whizes (that suppresses me more than any kinds of screen effect). But are you sure all these things can be done? Seems really complex, though I'm not trying to underestimate your abilities :p
Anyway, really looking forward to this mod.

I found a variable MaxBulletWhizStrength among other things. I think this is doable and a good suggestion, updating the feature list.

As to whether I can do all these things, I don't see why not. There is so much code available as non-native, I would be surprised if I were limited at all. I'm also a game programmer by trade, so I know a thing or two about programming. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: barakas and Nezzer
Upvote 0
OMG, awesome!

This should be in the original game already!

Good luck to you guys. Will it be need to download and install or are we going to be able to join a server and download the files like a new map in the old RO1?
Probably while joining a server. Only big mods, with lots of skins, sounds and textures require an external download (like Carpathian Crosses).

Upvote 0
I see heaven ! No seriously, this is how the game should be. Maybe with slighty changes to your list, but, the whole presented here is awesome.

Some features will be hard to add/modify. Good luck and do it boy !

PS: For the teamwork section, following order give points. What do you think about this concept?
http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=67430

Maybe to bad written, sorry.

Good luck again, it's like seeing the light after the dark tunnel :D
Hope to see this one and 41-45 mod.

Last edited:
Reactions: barakas
Upvote 0
@=Romagnolo=

Thank you.

What Nezzer said, I'm shooting for a server side download. No promises, as I do want to add some animations. The other issue is that maps would have to also be edited to work with the mod. For instance, the medic class has to be added to the maps individually, unless I can figure out a way to do it globally, which seems unlikely.

@Vyllis

Merci mon gars.

Because I am trying to make a mod that will work just during pubbing as well as unit scrims, I definitely want to consider any and all methods for encouraging the type of gameplay that is present during realism matches. Covering fire and following orders, staying together, more teamwork, etc;

Your ideas are interesting and I will definitely look into them. I want to award points for following orders, but I'm not entirely sure how it's going to work, since I have still not looked at that part of the code. I'll check out the scoring system later on.

Upvote 0
Agreed with everything until I saw this
Yep, the only thing of the list I'm not a big fan of is the medic class. I don't think its function is worth the amount of work required to implement it. Moreover, it's hard to make medics work realistically in a multiplayer game, unless the game is very slow paced like ArmA2.

Upvote 0