• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Finding the Performance Thief!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Laptop

Laptop

Hey guys...
I am a big fan of RO...and I am sure that RO2 will it be too. But I am a bit afraid that my laptop won't run it even at low detail levels.
I am playing Team Fortress 2 and Insurgency wihtout any problems on medium to high graphic levels.
But what about RO2?According to official recommendations I won't run on my laptop with the following hard- and software:
RAM: 4GB (but only 3GB in use due to 32bit)
CPU: Intel Core Duo T6400 2GHz
Video: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3470

I play usaully with the native screen size 1600x900

btw: does RO2 support 16:9 screens? I really missed that feature in RO1

Thx!

Upvote 0
Game not bad so far, keep it up.

i7 920 @4ghz
6gb ram
2 geforce 580 SLI
asus xonar dx

Getting 15 to 30 fps on 64 player, with everything ultra and maxed out @ 1080p full FOV.

This is an unreal 3 engine game. I played UT3 on a single geforce 285 with everything maxed out at 1080p and fps never dips below 60 fps.

With my current hardware, I should not even being seeing fps go below 100. RO2 needs serious optimizations. Chop chop devs, I ain't got all day.

Upvote 0
Game not bad so far, keep it up.

i7 920 @4ghz
6gb ram
2 geforce 580 SLI
asus xonar dx

Getting 15 to 30 fps on 64 player, with everything ultra and maxed out @ 1080p full FOV.

This is an unreal 3 engine game. I played UT3 on a single geforce 285 with everything maxed out at 1080p and fps never dips below 60 fps.

With my current hardware, I should not even being seeing fps go below 100. RO2 needs serious optimizations. Chop chop devs, I ain't got all day.

Upvote 0
Game not support X6 Core cpus from AMD ?
I run in High on 64 players Server max Fps 35-45 with low shadow and low FOV and AA Off !
The Game look not really good with unreal 3 engnie and The performce is bad .
Battlefield BC2 look better and Run better !!!

System
X6 1090T@ 3300 ghz
8GB DDR3-1333
Nvidia GTX 460 OC @ 815/1630/4000

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    45.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Congrats guys , it seems that you found and killed the performance thief ... now I'm having more than 30 fps playin on medium settings with my old 9800 GT and only 2 Ram gigs .

Too bad I can't check again my fps on the suggested map , but in the current maps I'm having a great performance and no problems .. I did not tested the maps during a long gameplay maps , but it seems that did a great work guys !

Upvote 0
This is an unreal 3 engine game.

You have a complete misconception of what this means, clearly. You could probably make a level in the Quake 3 engine that would lag modern computers if you put enough effects and detail in. The engine does not guarantee a certain level of performance.

The reason you can run UT3 better than RO2 is because UT3 maps were far, far less detailed and complex. That's not to say RO2 doesn't need optimising, just don't expect it to ever run as well as UT3 did.

Reactions: Pioska and Overtype
Upvote 0
Just got myself a new ATI HD 6850 1GB and tried out the RO2 Beta.

Getting about 60fps stood still on Barracks with my settings now changed so that everything is on medium (GPU usage is down to 30 - 38%.) And once again only one frame lag in enabled in the tick boxes.)

Something is seriously wrong here :)

since the update I am getting slightly better fps (maybe 10 or so) but it still really dips to 20fps in certain places (still on a empty server)

GPU usage still never going above 40% though :(

Upvote 0
Windows OS Version and 32 or 64 bit: Windows 7 Service Pack 1 64 bit
Exact Processor Model: Core i5 750 2.66 Ghz
Exact Video Card Model: Sapphire HD4870 512mb
Amount of Ram: 4GB DDR3

I get around 25 fps in any place, on any settings.

Running applications: Microsoft Security Essentials, Steam, Skype, MSN, Catalyst Control Center.
No change after the latest patch.

Upvote 0
Ok, still poor performance for me after the patch.

Specs again:
Core2Duo @ 3.4ghz
Nvidia 9800GTX+
2gb ram
Windows 7

No background programs of note running.

Settings: All medium except shadows are low. No AA. No AO or lightshafts. One frame thread lag is turned on. 1280x720 resolution. 70 FOV.

Going outdoors on any large map with a decent view distance causes the fps to drop to a steady 20-25. Indoors fps is 50-80 at all times.

Upvote 0
TWI, just want to say that I've been enjoying the beta. A few hiccup free rounds on Grain Elevator almost brought me to shooter nirvana. Playing other shooters is not an option anymore, they all fall short- so thanks for that :p

Anyway, performance has been impressive apart from large dips in frame rate that I've been having. 60+fps to 30 for half a second or less. Certain things seem to trigger the drop:

• PPSh 41 burst causes a quick stutter at times
  • MG-34 does the same, though not seen as often
  • Taking fire and having near impacts, i.e on metal or window frames
  • Artillery/ Mortar round barrages. Even when inside a building and out of view. This one is the most severe, visibly dropping fps from ~70 fps to less than 45 fps during the barrage- with round impacts causing a brief stutter with fps at ~30 fps.
The above examples are from populated servers (32+). Usually these were most apparent in large matches or when the server was near its cap (32 and up). However, I also noticed these issues on the TWI Official servers which made me doubt it was server-side and had me looking at my settings/setup.

OS Version: Vista x64, SP2
Processor Model: i7 920 @ 3.2 GHz
Video Card Model: GTX 580, 1.5 GB. Driver v270.61 (2d down-clocking issues w/ 275 and up)
Amount of Ram: 6 GB Mushkin DDR3-1333

Apartments Map while alone: 75 fps average. Apartments seems to be the easiest on the GPU so far, except when mortars were falling.

Please feel free to message me. You guys have a great game going, it would be cool to help out! Also, Yoshiro, here is a Windows command for creating a running process list that might help people who post in this thread:

tasklist /FO CSV>C:\tasklist.txt

(change .txt to CSV for spreadsheet output)

It creates a task list in the root of C:\ that can easily be attached to a post. Not sure if that's of any use, but just throwing it out there.

Best wishes on the home stretch TWI!

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    23.3 KB · Views: 0
  • settings.jpg
    settings.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 0
  • tasklist.txt
    2.4 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
Finally got my 1st smooth game, everything on ultra with just Ambiant Occlusion & framerate smoothing off @ 1080p,.

GPU usage never went under 50% and my lowest framerate was 45 on Station, still not great i know BUT loads better than the drops to under 20fps before with GPU usage going down to 20/30%.

I simply installed D3Doverider and forced triple buffering & vsync with that, will have to see if this helps on the other maps later.

Upvote 0
Having similar insanely low performance myself:

AMD 1100Tx6 @ stock - 3.3GHz
8 gig ram
2 x 6970 2 gig - 11.8 cap 2 (will try cap3 tomorrow but not expecting any gains)
Win7 x64
1920 x 1080 (Will be going eyefinity when supported and performance is on par)

Low: 30 - 90 fps (its going all over the place)
high: 10 - 20 fps
ultra: was roughly 30 before the first "map patch", figured it was this low at the time due to having crossfire enabled. Currently my FPS in ultra is a wooping 1.6 - 20

Programs running in the background:

steam (obviously)
radonpro
eset smart security 5 (beta)
afterburner
blaze

Will update with dxdiag first chance I get.

There's definitely something weird going on. So far I've tried running RO2 with a great variety of profile settings with radeonpro. Excuse the lack of profile details and results here but suffice to say nothing gave a performance boost.

Crossfire performance seems similar disabled or enabled. Possibly a small loss in FPS with crossfire enabled but with 10-20 fps who's counting?

Upvote 0
Received a huge boost to performance by changing net i/o packet size in ROEngine.ini from 256 to 128 and other small tweaks.

Shadow crash fixes and tweaks by 'thrombas' included from his awesome ROEngine.ini file. I wouldn't be able to play without it. Read about what he did in this thread: http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=60698

Combined modified ROEngine.ini file:
http://www.multiupload.com/AGNDN46MO5

- Arty lag no longer noticeable.
- Asset load lag during gameplay much less frequent.
- FPS boost.
- Stable client, no crashes so far. Previously I was crashing every match.

My System:
Windows XP Pro SP3
AMD Phenom II X3 710
MSI 770-C45 MB
2 GB DDR3 @ 667 MHz
NVIDIA GeForce 9800GT 1GB PCI-E x16 with August '11 drivers
DeskStar 80GB 7400RPM HD & WD 750GB Variable Speed HD

/edit It's causing artifacts now. Never mind using the file.

Try editing your engine.ini:
For 64 players with arty causing lag, on top of what throumbas has done well here, I recommend the following changes to your ROEngine.ini:

Code:
[Engine.ISVHacks]
bInitializeShadersOnDemand=False

[LiveSock]
DefaultRecvBufsizeInK=128
DefaultSendBufsizeInK=128

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Specs

AMD 945 phenom II x4 3.0 (O.Ced to 3.225Ghz via system bus)
4GB DDR2 800mhz (OCed to 860mhz 5-5-5-12-21)
nvidia GTX 460 1GB in SLI (OCed to 805Mhz) current drivers
Windows Vista home preimum 64bit (all updates)

Example of bad performence:

running medium settings with default settings clicked.

Looking at train station from walkway bridge on a FF 32 player server with 3 other people. drops to 30FPS or lower on turning stabalizes at 40-45FPS

Attachments

• DxDiagBradley.txt
    36.2 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.