• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Finding the Performance Thief!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoshiro

Senior Community Manager
Staff member
  • Oct 10, 2005
    East Coast
    You hate him, we hate him! But we need to know who or whom these problematic performance thieves are, so we can look at correcting them!

First, some steps you should take and information you should be aware of!

1 - Grab the latest drivers for your video card. Via http://www.geforce.com/Drivers or www.amd.com. We recommend a clean install of the latest drivers!

2 - Install the latest build of DirectX 9.0C - http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=35

3 - Are you attempting to run RO 2 with ANY ultra settings? Beware, these settings can have DRASTIC EFFECTS on your performance. Ultra Shadows alone will drop me 20 FPS vs High. When you first launch the game, it looks at your hardware and picks what we feel are good settings for your particular hardware. Change it at your own risk to performance.

Also to be taken into account is the FoV settings. The game was designed with the default FoV in mind. By changing to that to 90 on a widescreen monitor, your video card will have to render 40% MORE than the default. This will eat frames.

For example, one near minimum spec machine I have here at my desk currently is a core 2 duo 2.4 ghz with a Nvidia 8800 and 4 gigs of ram. Both XP and Windows 7 installed. It runs the game on Windows 7 between 45 and 55 FPS on low settings depending on the map, and can drop down near 30 on large servers (over 32)

On XP this same machine runs a few FPS less due to horrible memory management in XP and the machine having to work more to do the same.

4 - Now the following is NOT recommended, but we have seen several people ask about it. The unreal engine tries to smooth out your frame rate for a more consistent experience. You can change those settings. In ROEngine.ini you can change up the following settings:
    MinSmoothedFrameRate=22
    MaxSmoothedFrameRate=62

5 - Do you run security software? Be it a firewall or antivirus or some combination, it can RUIN your game experience if it is interfering with the game while it is running. We strongly recommend adding RO 2 binaries and folder structure to any allowed/ignore lists respectively. Especially if you have active real time security on. This is known to kill performance as it will be trying to check every packet and every file the game uses in real time.

6 - Are you an AMD Crossfire user? If so, we believe there is a problem occurring here and we have reached out to AMD on the issue. For now we recommend disabling crossfire to play RO 2.

Now, for those of you who still have strong hardware, and have performance issues: we need to talk!

First we need you to list your system specs:

Windows OS Version and 32 or 64 bit: - e.g. Windows 7 Service Pack 1 64 bit
    Exact Processor Model: - e.g. Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4 Ghz
    Exact Video Card Model: - e.g. Evga Nvidia 8800gt 512 Megs of ram
    Amount of Ram: - e.g. 4 Gigs

Then please tell us your average frames in the map Apartments with no other players.

Now, we need a list of actively running software on your machine. We need to see if we can find a common thread between those with performance issues.

Also please attach your DXDiag file. To do this, Click Start, then either in the search box or in the run box type dxdiag and press return. On the program that pops up click "Save all information" and save the file somewhere, then upload this file with your post.

Now as a special treat, if you are somebody who lives in the Greater Atlanta Area (Georgia, especially near Roswell), and you are one of these people. We may ask your computer to come visit us. We might even let you come along for the ride as well :)

Last edited by a moderator:
    Hello.
    I get anywhere from 30 to 70 fps on high/ultra settings on ALL maps, regardless of the amount of players. My FPS Isn't consistent, so it's rather annoying when it drops 40 FPS in the middle of a firefight. Rolling back all of my settings to high only improves performance around 5 FPS. A large number of the players I've played with complain of the same problem.

My Specs:
    Windows 7 Profesiional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600)
    Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.83Ghz
    4.00 Gb of RAM
    GTX 470 3040 MB (Will be overclocking soon)

I am running Avast! Antivirus in the background, alongside the Nvidia processes, and Steam (Thanks for reminding me Filo!). And I am downloading the newest Nvidia Drivers as we speak. I will also be overclocking my GPU sometime this weekend.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0
    Make sure when you reply that you attach your DXDiag report - follow this basic format:

Windows OS Version and 32 or 64 bit:
    Exact Processor Model:
    Exact Video Card Model:
    Amount of Ram:

Then please tell us your average frames in the map Apartments with no other players.

Now, we need a list of actively running software on your machine. We need to see if we can find a common thread between those with performance issues.

Also please attach your DXDiag file.

Upvote 0
    I'm not sure if this might be related but.. There was / is a feature (bug) in AMD gfx drivers where if you are running anything with Flash in the background it would limit your GPU clock to 300 or 400mhz and running a game at the same time would make the GPU clock switch between throttle -> max -> throttle -> max etc all the time. Now I cannot give you any specific details about this since I'm not a AMD gfx card user but that has been a culprit for weird performance issues with some people I know with Arma 2.

Simple solution: shutdown the webbrowser when playing.

Upvote 0
    Hello, Yoshiro, and thank you for posting this thread.

My specs are as follows.

Windows 7 64bit
    Intel i7 950 @ 4.0GHz
    Two MSI GTX570 Twin Frozr III in SLI, overclocked to 580 stock speeds
    6GB Ram
    Running at 1920x1080/120hz

My framerate on Apartments is sporadic, and I believe it's in line with my GPU usage. Just standing still, I was going from 80 to 99 FPS, while my GPU usage was jumping from 30 to 70 percent. In a fire fight I'll drop to just over 60FPS. On Fallen Fighters, this is the same, except 60FPS idle, 45-50 FPS in a fight, or facing out towards the square.

Here is a screenshot of my active processes. When I run any game, including RO, I only have Steam running. I do not have an Anti Virus program, either. Also included is my DXDIAG, as requested.

I'm more than happy to answer anymore questions in order to help you guys out in anyway.

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
      51.6 KB · Views: 0
    • runningprocesses.jpg
      runningprocesses.jpg
      64.8 KB · Views: 0
    Upvote 0
    Here is my System Report...
    Spoiler!

Last edited:
    Upvote 0
    Windows 64bit

Intel i5 2500k

Nvidia GTX 570

4gb ram

settings: all Ultra except Motion Blur, Bloom and framerate smoothing disabled.

average frames on apartments no players (flying on the map) : 45

Programs running: Avira antivirus, Nvidia various processes, MSI afterburner, Aida64, Steam (lol)

but one question:

could not be an optimization problem instead of a performance thief?

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
      28.1 KB · Views: 0
    Last edited:
    Upvote 0
    Windows OS Version and 32 or 64 bit: Windows 7 Service Pack 1 64 bit
    Exact Processor Model: Core i5 750 2.66 Ghz
    Exact Video Card Model: Sapphire HD4870 512mb
    Amount of Ram: 4GB DDR3

I get around 25 fps in any place, on any settings.

Running applications: Microsoft Security Essentials, Steam, Skype, MSN, Catalyst Control Center.

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
      28.4 KB · Views: 0
    Last edited:
    Upvote 0
    Multiple FPS benchmark with FRAPS during 30 seconds each time
    all video & audio option to "min", and optic fiber connexion :

map fallen fighters :
    average of
    50 FPS in a server with 20 players
    30 FPS with ~45 players
    25 FPS with +60 players.

map appartments :
    average of
    50 FPS in a server with 20 players
    40 FPS with ~45 players
    35 FPS with +60 players.

my config :

C2D E8500 3,16Ghz
    4Gb DDR2 800Mhz
    P5E
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 470 2655 MB
    Win 7 32Bit

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
      35.8 KB · Views: 0
    Last edited:
    Upvote 0
    AMD Phenom II X4 955 @ 3.2ghz
    Radeon HD 6870
    4gb ddr3 ram
    1680x1050 @ 60hz
    Windows 7 64 bit

Settings = All on high with light shafts and motion blur on.

Framerate: Varies quite a bit, but this is what I have noticed:
    Outdoors average = 30 fps
    Indoors average = 70 fps

Programs = ESET security, AMD VISION Engine control center, Steam, Razer Drivers.

Love the game guys! Would be better if it ran a bit more smoothly though :)

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
      35.9 KB · Views: 0
    Upvote 0
    Windows 7 SP 1 Home Premium x86
    AMD Athlon X2 64 3800+ @ 2 Ghz, no overlock.
    NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450, 280 driver, overclock 955/1010/4100.
    RAM DDR2 3 Gb, no overlock.
    I just updated my DX via web-installer.

Settings screenshots:
    Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Empty apartments server: depends on my location, at the center FPS is about 25, on the side ~45. It is outdoors result, forgot to try indoors, sorry.

I don't use any antivirus at all, the only tray app is Steam.

Here is my dxdiag. Bolded text is edit.

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
      33.4 KB · Views: 0
    Last edited:
    Upvote 0
    Windows 7 64bit
    Intel(R) Core (TM) 2 Quad CPU Q8300 @2.50GHz
    6gb ram
    Nvidia gtx 560Ti

also running 2 screen tho only 1 for gaming if that is in any intresst.

Running the game in Normal and get fps dropps in game menu and when i have spawned, it usually straighten it up after 5sec after i've spawned to a playable fps.

programs used while playing

Ventrilo
    Malewarebytes anti-maleware
    SmartDoctor
    Microsoft security essential
    asus gamerOSD
    steelseries usb soundcard

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
      44.4 KB · Views: 0
    Upvote 0
    Framerate: Varies quite a bit, but this is what I have noticed:
    Outdoors average = 30 fps
    Indoors average = 70 fps

This.
    When I'm outdoors, my frames vary greatly
    Go down one road - 50 FPS
    Go down another - drops down to 30 FPS
    Fallen Fighters is the worst for that, even though Apartments does the same.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0
    Windows OS Version and 32 or 64 bit: Windows 7 64 bit
    Exact Processor Model: E8400 @ 3.6 Ghz
    Exact Video Card Model: Evga 560 GTX
    Amount of Ram: 4GB DDR2

map fallen fighters :
    average of
    30 FPS in a server with 20 players
    30 FPS with ~45 players
    25 FPS with +60 players.

map appartments :
    average of
    40 FPS in a server with 20 players
    30 FPS with ~45 players
    30 FPS with +60 players.

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
      28.1 KB · Views: 0
    Upvote 0
    Windows OS Version and 32 or 64 bit: Windows 7 Service Pack 1 64 bit
    Exact Processor Model: Core 2 Quad Q8200
    Exact Video Card Model: ATI HD 4850 512MB
    Amount of Ram: 4Gb

All low settings and all tickbox settings turned off ingame (Bar the one frame lag), 1440x900 resolution.

Getting 70fps when stood still in Apartments by myself with about 60% - 70% GPU usage (Sounds good, but drops dramatically when other people are ingame)

Programs Running: Steam, Nod32 (However I disable it when gaming), Mumble and Z-Engine

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
      24 KB · Views: 0
    Upvote 0
    Status
    Not open for further replies.