• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Finally - news from the front line in 2006!

Case said:
Somewhere (I've forgotten now) there's a video of a bunch of the BattleForEurope guys playing the RO version of Torlan. We all lined up on top of that central tower and ran off it one by one. We all lined up on the top of the tower and used a satchel to blow us off of it. We all lined up on the top of the tower and used a faust to jump off...you get the idea. :D Hopefully one of the other BFE vets knows where to find the video and posts a link.
Lol! We need more videos like this. I propose an RO:OST synchronised diving team.

*I'm currently picturing a beautiful scene using the Blue Danube waltz*

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Case said:
Somewhere (I've forgotten now) there's a video of a bunch of the BattleForEurope guys playing the RO version of Torlan. We all lined up on top of that central tower and ran off it one by one. We all lined up on the top of the tower and used a satchel to blow us off of it. We all lined up on the top of the tower and used a faust to jump off...you get the idea. :D Hopefully one of the other BFE vets knows where to find the video and posts a link.
Found it on the BFE forums:

Them fun-lovin' Russians held a Bizarre Maps Tournament this past Sunday. About 16 of us did some damage on a weird assortment of maps.

We played some old classics like RO-Pavlov, RO-Pakfight, and RO- Truckrace, broke in some new RO blood like RO-Arena and RO-POW_Train_Escape, and even violated a UT2004 classic with a Red Orchestra-ified version of ONS-Torlan.
icon_biggrin.gif

With pistolwhip-only rounds on RO-Arena, insane demolition derby style fausting on Truckrace, and Satchel-induced skydiving from Torlan's mile-high tower, I don't think we stopped laughing at any one point throughout.
icon_biggrin.gif

Through it all, our badass cameraman/editor Fedorov was there to record the madness!
icon_silly.gif

Here's the video: http://ut2004.wickedpenguin.com/files/BizarreMapsVideo.avi

ENJOY!

Upvote 0
ROFL!

Omg, that was fantastic! Pure pwnge! Great editing and shots, man! On jumping from the tower: "Are we a cult now?" Hahahaha! I must say BFE is looking even more attractive now. :)

Man the axis pwnd the rooskies in that opening scene!

Lol I've helped derail like 5 threads today, back on topic! Uhh, what was the topic again? Lol.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I know next to nothing about game engines or anything, so maybe I should shut my hole. But isn't it a little unfair to compare the Source engine to the older UT2.5 engine?

Now if your talking about the HL1 DoD then ya I would say RO looks alot better in some respects. Some of the textures on the maps look beautiful, more than what I see as possible in the older HL1 engine.

I think the potential for the Source engine is awesome and I think would be better graphically than UT2.5. But in regards to DoD:S it also seems it was also a bit under-utilized.

I expected to be blown away by the player skins in DoD:S but it was kinda like "meh". So even then RO:OST might even compare favourably.

It certainly wins in the historical accuracy department.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
[RO]Ramm-Jaeger said:
Diving too far indeed does damage to the player and potentially kills them if they dive to far. Additionally, you can't dive as far without hurting yourself as you could if you jumped and landed on your feet. Finally, noone will just be diving left and right quickly as first it takes a bit of time to dive and then stand up again and second it takes a moment to recover before you can fire your weapon again after diving. Thus your pretty much a sitting duck until you get your weapon readied again. Diving is mostly used in panic situations in game when your under fire. Such as when your advancing toward the Reichstag on Kongisplatz and all of the sudden you hear artillery start to fall. The first thing you do is dive into the nearest crater. Or when someone lobs a grenade into a room and your lucky enough to spot it soon enough you panic and dive out the door or window (on the first floor only).

Thank you Ramm, I appreciate the explanation, as oppossed to just responding (like so many others) with somethign along the lines of "diving is real, suck it up." :rolleyes:

What you mentioned about the damage, that was what I was concerned about the most.

I figured if the player could dive the same distance that he could jump, and retain full health, then most players would choose to dive as oppossed to run the distance or jump down, which I thought would lead to over-done diving and unrealistic scenarios, e.g. people diving 5 feet straight down just because you can jump 5 feet down and not get hurt.

Fortunately, it seems you have taken this into account, so that a diving player will take damage from a height that may not damage the same person jlanding on their feet, so I am confident now that the decision to dive will be weighed by the player more realistically then I thought.

Upvote 0
Jack said:
Thank you Ramm, I appreciate the explanation, as oppossed to just responding (like so many others) with somethign along the lines of "diving is real, suck it up." :rolleyes:

What you mentioned about the damage, that was what I was concerned about the most.

I figured if the player could dive the same distance that he could jump, and retain full health, then most players would choose to dive as oppossed to run the distance or jump down, which I thought would lead to over-done diving and unrealistic scenarios, e.g. people diving 5 feet straight down just because you can jump 5 feet down and not get hurt.

Fortunately, it seems you have taken this into account, so that a diving player will take damage from a height that may not damage the same person jlanding on their feet, so I am confident now that the decision to dive will be weighed by the player more realistically then I thought.

I always secretly agreed with you jack

*big hug* ;)

Upvote 0