• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Finally - news from the front line in 2006!

Jack said:
Yes, I too don't see what the purpose of the numbers to the right is. You have the tick mark on the range scale to the right...isn't that sufficient enough? It was in real life anyway.

Overall though, that is an extreme nitpick, I mean, what other game has historically accurate WWII tank gunnery of that fidelity? I hope as well that the different range settings are an indicator that we will be able to select different ammo. It would be cool to have a fairly large number of PzGr39 for T-34s, and several PzGr40 to use against the IS-2 when things get desperate.
Then again, didn't one of the devs state a while ago that the tanks won't have limited ammo? How can you have ammo type selection with unlimited ammo count? Maybe they changed their mind.

As for the other screenshots, all I can say is a resounding "WOW." The uniforms, equipment, and weaponry are all rendered extremely well, and the bloom effect looks nice. I didn't expect to see a scoped SVT...maybe there is also a scoped G43?

Only nitpick I have with the Heer model is that his stick grenade doesn't appear to be thrust through his belt, but rather like it is stuck to the outside surface, which is strange because in some of the first screenshots of ROOST didn't the Heer soldier have two stick grenades thrust through his belt?

Also, while the prone animation looks very good for crawling, it looks a little strange for diving. What I mean is, it would be impossible to transition to cradling your weapon like that in mid-air, and it would be liable to bust your chin when you hit the dirt. I also worry that the diving to prone will look too linear, i.e. the man looks like he is already laying on a flat surface when he is in fact in mid-air.

Please don't take this as me being ungrateful for the work, I am sure diving to prone will work splendidly. What I am worried about is that the animation will look like a man laying on a board flying through the air instread of someone actually diving. Center of gravity would make it impossible for his legs and chest to be perfectly 180 degrees during the whole maneuver, especially since in diving, you dive downward and forward, not just forward linearly.

Frankly, now that I really think about it, was diving even common? I doubt it because it would be difficult to do with your weapon, and would be extremely painful without a roll at the end. I feel like this diving business is a hollywood addition to RO wich takes away rather than adds. I'm not saying it's not fun to do, but I can't imagine myself diving --especially plank-style like in the picture-- in a battle. I would leap and jump, sure, but dive? Why? To break my arms?

Can someone rationalise diving to me? Above all it seems incredible painful and a rare occurance.

Upvote 0
Maschine Pistole-38 said:
New media is PurePwnage and may I suggest a stfu snack for the nitpickers.

Stfu snack? :rolleyes:

Ok, no one needs to get upset here...all I was saying is that as it looks to me from the pictures, the guy's body stays 180 degrees during the dive. Maybe in motion it doesn't do this, but in the series of pics we have it sure does. People can make valid observations if they want, we don't need to "stfu." I mean, is anyone seriously going to deny that the guy isn't laying 180 degrees in the dive?

Like Cleft said, diving like that would give massive injuries. As I pointed out earlier, holding your weapon and diving like that, especially that sharp of a dive, woudl split your chin right open. Even my little sister, who knows nothing of infantry movement or war, came into my room, saw the pic of the guy diving and said "That guy is going to break his chin when he hits..." It's just physics.

Of course, maybe this is all still a work in progress, which is why the diving animation looks more like a prone crawling animation, but I doubt it, or else the devs would not have shown it publically.

MP38 and anyone else in here needn't attack me or anyone else who makes these observations, they are perfectly valid. Besides, I praised everything else in the pics, its just that I don't want to be in the middle of an intense ROOST match, with all this realistic atmosphere, and then see 3 bounding Germans coming my way running one moment, then flying through the air perfectly parallel to the ground like superman, and if the diving is effecive (which I am sure it is) you will see them doing this over and over again: it will kill the immersiveness.

Can anyone who has play-tested confirm if I am worrying unnecessarily: is the diving more fluid in game?

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jack said:
Also, while the prone animation looks very good for crawling, it looks a little strange for diving. What I mean is, it would be impossible to transition to cradling your weapon like that in mid-air, and it would be liable to bust your chin when you hit the dirt. I also worry that the diving to prone will look too linear, i.e. the man looks like he is already laying on a flat surface when he is in fact in mid-air.

While i do agree with you that his stance in the air is somewhat superman-like, it feels very realistic to be able to do a diving motion to avoid being shot. I am willing to forgive some graphical details to be able to dive into cover.

Also, i have a litt question about diving: Obviosly, he will not be able to use ironsight during the dive, (his weapon is not up). Is he also hindered from freeaim? (hopefully he is)

I would like a period of seconds after the dive before being able to shoot again. The soldier would be busy checking his chin after landing ;)

Upvote 0
Maschine Pistole-38 said:
Well, I just pointed the fact that you two seem to be the only people who have a problem with it. Besides the fact that I would do anything possible to not die, if it means diving, jumping, or hurling my self over a stone wall.

I wasn't saying the idea of "diving, jumping, or hurling" is bad, I agree that under duress you would probably dive into cover.

You are changing it to sound as if we have a problem with the concept of diving: I don't. I just was saying it looks a little akward in execution. The point being that for everything else to look so professional and polished, the akward "prone flying" looks a little out of place, more like it belongs in the mod.

Besides, just because only two people voice something doesn't mean they are the only people to have noticed a particular feature, it might just mean they are the only two who are going to do so regardless of others telling them to have a "stfu snack."

Upvote 0
Cleft_Asunder said:
Can someone rationalise diving to me? Above all it seems incredible painful and a rare occurance.

Diving to prone hurts far less than being shot.

How's that for rationalising?

Actually just tried diving to prone, and it's really not that bad. First of, when I did it, I wasn't quite as horizontal as that guy was. I think that's artificial since he's on a wall. The Devs told us they won't be "dolphin diving."

You (or at least I), kind of hit knees/legs first, then pelvic area, then forearms, holding my head up. Basically, your forearms absorb most of the shock that you head would, so you shouldn't slam your chin to the ground. You'll likely knock the wind out of yourself, or bang yourself up a bit, but it's still better than being shot.

Upvote 0
Jack said:
I wasn't saying the idea of "diving, jumping, or hurling" is bad, I agree that under duress you would probably dive into cover.

You are changing it to sound as if we have a problem with the concept of diving: I don't. I just was saying it looks a little akward in execution. The point being that for everything else to look so professional and polished, the akward "prone flying" looks a little out of place, more like it belongs in the mod.

Besides, just because only two people voice something doesn't mean they are the only people to have noticed a particular feature, it might just mean they are the only two who are going to do so regardless of others telling them to have a "stfu snack."

You also have to take into account that the screens are just a snapshot. I wouldn't judge the animation until i've seen all of it. It might aswell be that at the next one or two frames, the arms would be extended to catch the drop...

Upvote 0
Mormegil said:
Diving to prone hurts far less than being shot.

How's that for rationalising?

Actually just tried diving to prone, and it's really not that bad. First of, when I did it, I wasn't quite as horizontal as that guy was. I think that's artificial since he's on a wall. The Devs told us they won't be "dolphin diving."

You (or at least I), kind of hit knees/legs first, then pelvic area, then forearms, holding my head up. Basically, your forearms absorb most of the shock that you head would, so you shouldn't slam your chin to the ground. You'll likely knock the wind out of yourself, or bang yourself up a bit, but it's still better than being shot.

Yes but Mormegil like you said it hurst less than being shot, which means it is something you would do out of duress. It wouldn't be something you would do over and over again. In the game, with no pain, there is no reason to not have players doing this again and again. I think that is what Clef meant by it being inconsistent or unrealistic: you will get players diving over stuff when in reality you would see this more rarely. Of course, only actual playing will tell, but I have a feeling it will be pretty prevalent in matches.

Secondly, I am in full agreement with your desription of diving to prone, with knees hitting first, etc.

However, what you are describing is the class "hit the dirt" from a standing position. This is not describing what the guy in the pic is doing: leaping headlong over a wall, in which case his head, not his knees, will hit first.

Lastly, I was not talking about breaking your chin on the ground, I meant if you cradled your weapon like the guy in the pic, you would bust your chin on the rifle, also, you would stand a greater chance of losing the rifle. The cradling with the rifle in the knook of the arms is for crawling, for diving you would hold it with both hands, like the guy is doing when he first begins the dive.

Upvote 0