• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Finally - news from the front line in 2006!

^Dee^ said:
Looking good but one thing that bothered me.

On the tank sights it tells you the distance of what you're looking at. Is that just for developmental purposes or will that be in the finished product?

It does no such thing. Look closely at those sights, then at the numbers again. Then I think you will understand why there are there.

Upvote 0
^Dee^ said:
Looking good but one thing that bothered me.

On the tank sights it tells you the distance of what you're looking at. Is that just for developmental purposes or will that be in the finished product?
If you go an look in ideas an suggestions I do believe you will find some pictures of tank sights (at list the panzer one) that match those exactly. I suspect that the range counter you see there is actually synched with how far up the barrel is (simulating the crank needed to aim at range which would be indecated on the sight). Overall it is much closer to how they would have looked in real life.

(am i right about the sycning thing?)

EDIT: Sorry I didnt see what you were initially talking about... hehe. Anyway...

Anyone else notice the markings for MG34 on the panzer sight!!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0
Looks like my dream tank UI is coming true:eek: see: http://www.redorchestragame.com/forum/showthread.php?t=577

What I can gather from the sights...

Coax MG looks like it's in as there are the ranging numbers in the sights.

Threre are ranging numbers for both the 39/42 and 40/42 type rounds. That implies there may be different types of rounds.

The little white number appears to be what the cannon range is set to. Check the top number, it set to 3, presumably 300 meters.

The white text isn't the distance to the tank. If the optic magnification is correct, it looks like that tank is at 21 meters, as it's about 144 mils (updated: corrected my math).

And the cannon sight has been offset to the side where it should be (nice touch).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yoshiro said:
It does no such thing. Look closely at those sights, then at the numbers again. Then I think you will understand why there are there.
I don't see what you're pointing to.

If you're talking about the number on the right being a simplified version of what's supposed to be shown on the sights, I would again have to ask if that will be removed for full version.

Upvote 0
^Dee^ said:
I don't see what you're pointing to.

If you're talking about the number on the right being a simplified version of what's supposed to be shown on the sights, I would again have to ask if that will be removed for full version.
What he's saying (I believe) is that the number indicates what range the sights are currently CALIBRATED at. You can change the number up and down regardless of the actual range, which adjusts the sight up and down to compensate for shell drop. You use the center triangles to estimate the target range.

For a full explanation, check here: http://www.fprado.com/armorsite/Zeiss_Optics.htm

I have to say, that's frickin awesome...

Upvote 0
Yes, I too don't see what the purpose of the numbers to the right is. You have the tick mark on the range scale to the right...isn't that sufficient enough? It was in real life anyway.

Overall though, that is an extreme nitpick, I mean, what other game has historically accurate WWII tank gunnery of that fidelity? I hope as well that the different range settings are an indicator that we will be able to select different ammo. It would be cool to have a fairly large number of PzGr39 for T-34s, and several PzGr40 to use against the IS-2 when things get desperate.
Then again, didn't one of the devs state a while ago that the tanks won't have limited ammo? How can you have ammo type selection with unlimited ammo count? Maybe they changed their mind.

As for the other screenshots, all I can say is a resounding "WOW." The uniforms, equipment, and weaponry are all rendered extremely well, and the bloom effect looks nice. I didn't expect to see a scoped SVT...maybe there is also a scoped G43?

Only nitpick I have with the Heer model is that his stick grenade doesn't appear to be thrust through his belt, but rather like it is stuck to the outside surface, which is strange because in some of the first screenshots of ROOST didn't the Heer soldier have two stick grenades thrust through his belt?

Also, while the prone animation looks very good for crawling, it looks a little strange for diving. What I mean is, it would be impossible to transition to cradling your weapon like that in mid-air, and it would be liable to bust your chin when you hit the dirt. I also worry that the diving to prone will look too linear, i.e. the man looks like he is already laying on a flat surface when he is in fact in mid-air.

Please don't take this as me being ungrateful for the work, I am sure diving to prone will work splendidly. What I am worried about is that the animation will look like a man laying on a board flying through the air instread of someone actually diving. Center of gravity would make it impossible for his legs and chest to be perfectly 180 degrees during the whole maneuver, especially since in diving, you dive downward and forward, not just forward linearly.

Upvote 0
FYROM said:
What he's saying (I believe) is that the number indicates what range the sights are currently CALIBRATED at. You can change the number up and down regardless of the actual range, which adjusts the sight up and down to compensate for shell drop. You use the center triangles to estimate the target range.

For a full explanation, check here: http://www.fprado.com/armorsite/Zeiss_Optics.htm

Fyrom, could you check my math? Is that T34 at about 50 meters?

I estimate it to be about 144 mils (144 meters at 1000m). The T34 is about 3 meters wide. 144 meters being 48x 3 meters, so 1/48 of 1000m = 21m.

Am I doing this right?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I believe that the T34 is so close for dramatic effect only :D Awesome awesome stuff Devs, ranging on the gunsights brilliant, scoped SVT-40 ! New weapons huzzah!

Gotta admit im not a huge fan of HDR myself (that whole fuzzy glowing thing) it does pretty up the screenshots quite a bit, maybe when i get a better comp and can see it in action more thoroughly i'll revise my opinion. RO is going to be a keeper and that's for sure.

Upvote 0
FYROM said:

Yes, I understand this. I'm asking why there is a random "300 metres" and "700 meters" floating at the side.

Seems rather uncharaceristic for RO =/

EDIT: The biggest problem with tank combat was communication imo. Took too long to type stop and move to the driver and I don't believe there were any voice commands in the version I played. Hoping there's at least some basic form of communication that doesn't involve a mic and at least faster than typing :)

Upvote 0
Coool, glad to see tanks will have different types of ammo AND coax, as it should be.

Will tanks with rear firing MGs be able use those rear firing MGs as well?

I guess the abitlity to adjust sights means there will be more maps with longer lines of sight for tanks to shoot longer distances.

ShadowbaneX said:
Damn...I'm going to need to learn how to fire a tank cannon all over again.

Naaah, if your shooting long distances and your round falls short, just adjust the sight (not the gun itself, but the sight) over the point where the shell hit and then aim again. You will be spot on. You'll get used to it. Just one more key to push. ;)

Upvote 0
Mormegil said:
Fyrom, could you check my math? Is that T34 at about 50 meters?

I estimate it to be about 60 mils (60 meters at 1000m). The T34 is about 3 meters wide. 60 meters being 20x 3 meters, so 1/20 of 1000m = 50 m.

Am I doing this right?

Gah! You're going to make me do math!? Guess I need to keep my drafting skills in practice...

OK, the IS-2 is ~3 meters across according to google...
Break out the engineers scale, the "4 strich" triangle is 1/10" across...
The front of the tank is 5.5" across...
(3/55)*1000 = 54.5 meters

So yeah, about 50 meters. Good eye there ;)

Upvote 0
FYROM said:
Gah! You're going to make me do math!? Guess I need to keep my drafting skills in practice...

OK, the IS-2 is ~3 meters across according to google...
Break out the engineers scale, the "4 strich" triangle is 1/10" across...
The front of the tank is 5.5" across...
(3/55)*1000 = 54.5 meters

So yeah, about 50 meters. Good eye there ;)

Not that good an eye. I think I called it a T-34!

Anyways, this looks really promising.

Something I'm curious about is, with the coax MG and an offset sight (as it all should be), MG tracer rounds will actually be useful for aiming... that is if the tracers are accurate (I've heard that the tracers in the mod might be a bit off).

Upvote 0
Does the K98k have the cleaning rod in place? I'm not buying it if it doesn't.

Also, I must ask, will aiming of the main cannon be accurately represented as the first SMALL triangle right of large one? And will MG be the second SMALL triangle right of the large one? Or will RO simplify --which I don't think it needs to since people will figure it out.

Upvote 0