• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Finally, after almost two years, New Video Card:

Cpt-Praxius

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 12, 2005
Canadian in Australia
So I just squeezed in my tower an MSI GeForce GTX 660 Twin Frozer III (2GB) into my tower and currently installing the drivers.

Now I should be able to get a pretty good looking RO2 running (along with a slew of other games on my system) and I can put away my old GeForce 210 (1GB)

Things about 3x the size of my old Video Card and had to move a few things around in my tower to make it all fit.

As soon as I get everything all updated, I'll show some comparison screenshots of Before and After from RO2.

Now my system specs are as follows:

Windows 8 Pro (64 bit)
Intel Core i5-2300 CPU (Quad Core) @ 2.80GHz
8GB RAM
1 TB Western Digital Hard Drive
MSI GeForce GTX 660 Twin Frozer III (2GB)

.... Sweet. :cool:

So this is what I used to get out of my GeForce 210 (1GB) after doing some extensive tweaking and modifying to RO2's config settings via the graphic settings:

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/578964108994563125/EE2DE099598D0AA9C3A7AF32EDB4076E6A6CCCEA/

^ At best, I got around 24 fps.

Now?

At first I got this at the same settings as above:
http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/576724270752232086/B51976990281A107FF6E1438CCCD53FA57F97C98/

^ Nice FPS

Now max out on everything and increased in Resolution:
http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/576724270752388651/EE8A564EAC050D974E7B46B6EE48B8C04D15E77F/

Still good. From what I read online, I was going to get a GTX 560 TI, but this one I got seemed to use less power.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think it's a wonder that you could put up playing a UT3 game with a GF210. I'm sorry for your eyes and brain that had to cope with horrible framerate.

Naw, no prob for me. When RO2 first came out and long before most of the patches, I saw this:

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/594697633894146095/8075BA38840A582DEDC4A7DCB79A72AF537E8AF4/

^ At 12-14 fps. I still did alright for myself.

Last night when I picked up Chivalry: Medevel Warfare (Another UE3 game) the Low FPS really affected the gameplay.... just trying the Training mission was hard as hell as it goes for trying to hit a moving target..... I thought to myself, alright.... I'm not waiting until next week, the video card is coming tomorrow (today) :cool:

Great for you Cpt! :)

I have a 560Ti Twin Frozr and love it. Quiet too. Now only if my cpu could support it properly :D

The odd thing is, I thought I'd just take a look at the "Can You Run It" web site and see how my system does for RO2 now with the GTX660 and although the box says it's only a 2GB video card, the web site said it had 3.99GB.

I did try to play online today though and RO2 locked up twice in a row, to the point I had to shut off the computer via the power button.... though looking through the Support Section, it seems to relate to PunkBuster and having out dated RealTek drivers.... which I did and just updated.

Funny thing is that I never had that problem until I put this video card in.... all other games run just fine. Going to be testing out to see if the problem is fixed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think it's a wonder that you could put up playing a UT3 game with a GF210. I'm sorry for your eyes and brain that had to cope with horrible framerate.

I'll make a note that I am soon upgrading to a in-between pc (which like military hardware will stick around for far too long :p ) with an overclocked e5200 and 9800 gt. Maybe I can play greater than 800x600 now :D

Upvote 0
Good for you, Prax. :D

What do you think of Windows 8?

I have windows 7 home myself but it would be interesting to hear.

I did a bit of a review in another section of the forums when I got 8, but in a nut shell, I like it a lot more than 7.

It boots up faster, it shuts down faster, programs run much faster, it uses much less resources than Vista/7 (thus why other things run faster) and before I got the above video card, my RO2 got a 5-10 fps boost with an additional bit of graphical settings bumped up a bit.

A lot of people kept saying that Windows 7 would be just as fast on a fresh install, but my 7 wasn't installed that long ago in the first place.

As it goes for the Start Screen and being Touchpad friendly, it is true.... it is touch pad friendly, but not at the expense of Window's original functionality.

The Desktop everyone knows and loves is still there, it's just that because the Start Button no longer exists and is not a "Start Screen" it's over top of the desktop. Hit the Windows key or hit the Desktop button on the Start Screen and you're right back to a familiar view. It still takes a wee bit of getting used to, but in the span of 3-4 days, I got it all down and my wife figured it all out around the same time.

All programs I had before getting 8 all work just fine, and as mentioned before, they work faster.

The Explorer windows are much better with better organization, more tools, some old tools from XP, and some new ones.... Control Panel, My Computer, etc. are all still there.... you just access them from the Explorer window now.... or by adding them as a Start Button in the Start Screen.

For the deal Microsoft has on for the upgrade package until Jan 1st, it's well worth the money to upgrade.

Haven't regretted it so far.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Good stuff Prax! Whatever I do I never get more than 60FPS, could that just be cause of my monitor though?
:)
In all probability, you've got vsync on in settings. It will restrict you to the 60hz/60fps range in most LCD monitors. Not a bad idea, actually. 60 fps is full cinematic motion, and it will relieve pressure on your gpu that will enable it to render more per clock tick.

Upvote 0