• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Field survey of class use in-game

Nanostrike

Grizzled Veteran
May 19, 2009
Over the last few days, just to see how the classes affected perk use, I started keeping track of all the perks everyone is using when I play. The results really shed some light on the current state of balance, I think...

For background: I play typically on Hard, Whitelisted 6-Player servers, and occasionally on Sucidial, Whitelisted 6-Player servers. I ignored players who weren't in the game for at least long enough to play a full round, and noted their most-used perk (IE: When everyone switched to Sharpshooter/Support for the Patriarch, I didn't count it, though I'll make note of that below...). So...

Encountered 143 different players total in about 20 or so different games:

15 Field Medics. Usually one per game, occasionally 2. Most used the Crossbow or Bullpup and focused mostly on (Surprise!) healing instead of trying to tank and kite. Almost always at the low-end of the kill chart but awesome teammates as they tend to focus on the Husks, Scrakes, and Sirens that our Sharpshooters ignored...

14 Support. Had typically one per game. Almost all started with the Shotgun/Hunting Shotgun combo and went to the Shotgun/AA12 combo when they could afford it. Often carried Dual Handcannons as well. Consistantly had the highest kill totals and were generally VERY good team members, able to dish the damage and hold the line. Still, not a hugely popular class for some reason...

57 Sharpshooters! Yes, around 1/2 of all players were Sharpshooter. Of those, about 3/4 used the M-14 and a Handcannon. The other 1/4 used the Crossbow and a Handcannon. The Crossbow ones were BY FAR more useful, as they picked off Scrakes, Sirens, Husks, and FPs. The M-14 ones were, more or less sweepers who spammed off shots at anything and everything, often ignoring priority targets like Sirens and Husks to waste whole clips on Clots other classes could wipe instantly.

25 Commandos. Most used the Bullpup/SCAR combo, with a few using the AK/SCAR combo. Had kills consistantly around the middle of the board and overall, were fun to work with as they were willing to shoot anything moving.

3 Berserkers. Almost never had one, bad ones usually quit after the first death, but the good ones stuck around until a bit. And I MUST note that every single one of them used the Katana. There were about 4 or 5 more that STARTED as Berserker, but quickly switched perks when they saw how ineffective they were being and never touched Zerker again...

5 Firebugs. Almost as rare as the Berserkers. Depending on the map, almost always either on the bottom or top of the kill board. Tended to light everything up regardless of the situation. Hands-down died the most times to Scrakes! ALL of them used the Flamethrower and either a Katana or Handcannon...

24 Demomen. A popular class, usually hovering around the middle of the scoreboard. Typically didn't KILL themselves with explosives, but were great at gimping themselves and being picked off by enemies before healing could get to 'em. Mopped the floors with Clots, Crawlers, and Sirens, but wasted tons of ammo on Gorefasts and Scrakes (Of which, the Scrakes tended to enrage and absolutely disassemble the reloading demomen!)

Overall, Demomen are still a flavor of the month, Commandos are a multi-purpose mainstay, and almost every group typically had a Medic and Support who are basically their backbone. But Sharpshooters are EVERYWHERE (Usually not good ones, either...), and Berserkers/Firebugs are largely ignored.

Not really sure what I'm trying to say here, I just found my results to be interesting and to show that, at least in players' eyes, the balance has been tipped pretty heavily to certain classes and sharply away from others...

pre-level up content, the amount of sharpshooters used to be the amount of Zerkers, well in my experience anyways. Before, in order to beat suicidal, it used to be (From all the pub servers I entered) 2/3 zerkers, a couple of sweepers and a medic. Now the role has just jumped over to the Sharpshooter.

Upvote 0
pre-level up content, the amount of sharpshooters used to be the amount of Zerkers, well in my experience anyways. Before, in order to beat suicidal, it used to be (From all the pub servers I entered) 2/3 zerkers, a couple of sweepers and a medic. Now the role has just jumped over to the Sharpshooter.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe there were so many zerks on suicidal because of the fleshpound decap glitch with the chainsaw/9mm.(Easiest with the chainsaw)

The scary thing is that the new headshots are working as intended.
1 Bow can take down a full health fleshpound on 6 man suicidal from a level 6 sharp.

Upvote 0
Here's the chart if anyone cares.

Spoiler!

Upvote 0
Demolition is popular because it's brand-new, so that's not a problem.

SS, on the other hand...

Yeah, demo is definitely a fad that'll go away soon...probably to Sharpshooter. While most other perks I saw used were 5, or 6, there were a lot of Level 2 and 3 Demomen and a lot of people said they were only using it because it was the only non-5 or non-6 they had...

I was shocked, but not surprised to see how no one's using Berserker anymore, though! Firebug has always been rare, but Zerker used to be a mainstay...

Upvote 0
Really, DANG, I'm always medic/firebug/ or demo last round :/

24 Demomen. A popular class, usually hovering around the middle of the scoreboard. Typically didn't KILL themselves with explosives, but were great at gimping themselves and being picked off by enemies before healing could get to 'em. Mopped the floors with Clots, Crawlers, and Sirens, but wasted tons of ammo on Gorefasts and Scrakes (Of which, the Scrakes tended to enrage and absolutely disassemble the reloading demomen!)

Demo really is the flavor of the month.... I never kill myself with my nades though. It's usually the pipe bombs I forget about or try to lead a fp into to save a team member. Also, any demo who hasn't got the nade safety range and how many nades to take out a fp or scrake should just quit right now.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Don't get me wrong, demos are helpful to the team. In fact, when we had a good one, he was amazing. Seeing a fleshpound charge our nearly dead Supporter only to explode as he strolls over a pipe bomb is awesome, and watching a volley of nades squish a trio of Husks is great.

But most demomen I'm seeing simply aren't great at the class or are the dreaded "NADE EVERYTHING BECAUSE YOU CAN" variety that spreads smoke everywhere and enrages Scrakes...

Of the 24 I saw, I'd say that we had MAYBE 6 good ones, 2 or 3 average but not stellar ones, and the rest were ineffective/terrible/a shame to the class/a danger to themselves...

To quote one such expert: "WTFFFFFF U CAN KILL URSELF WITH UR OWN PIPEBOMBS WTFFFF!!!!????" -bOoMstiyx181 (Said after he stood ON TOP OF a pile of 3 of his Pipebombs and had a Scrake that HE raged with grenades set them off...)

Upvote 0
This attitude really pisses me off!!

Everyone has as much right as everyone else to play this and any other game! If you think otherwise, get over yourselves :rolleyes:

I don't think it's elitism on Kale's part as much as it is wanting people with an IQ above room temperature to play with.

Of course everyone has a right to play the game and there's nothing wrong with being inexperienced, but it's annoying when people just don't have common sense.

Reactions: trick
Upvote 0
I don't think it's elitism on Kale's part as much as it is wanting people with an IQ above room temperature to play with.

Of course everyone has a right to play the game and there's nothing wrong with being inexperienced, but it's annoying when people just don't have common sense.

New players are joining all the time and they quite simply don't have the experience to know all the ranges e.t.c. We were all noobs at one point and I for one am sick and tired of this nonsense!

So it would be nice if people like Kale and others could use some of that common sense you mention and realise that all kinds of people play this game ( some only started today ) and the majority don't take it anywhere near as seriously as some of you.

Live and let live.

Last edited:
Reactions: trick
Upvote 0
To quote one such expert: "WTFFFFFF U CAN KILL URSELF WITH UR OWN PIPEBOMBS WTFFFF!!!!????" -bOoMstiyx181 (Said after he stood ON TOP OF a pile of 3 of his Pipebombs and had a Scrake that HE raged with grenades set them off...)

LMFAO; Post of the month!

Psst...did u see beeeeees? :3

I still play my L6 zerker and firebug, even though... yea.

I can attest that I almost never see berserkers anymore. In the past week I ran across 2 (apart from myself).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I guess I see these numbers differently. SS has always been a staple class, and its current numbers point to it being the flavor of the month, not demoman. I'm guessing pre-update, you would have berzerkers near the top, and commando and SS around the same levels.

Demoman...eh. Once you've actually started to level it, you realize how a) it's the worst class out of the box (wave 1) b) it isn't a good class to start the round with c) from ranks 0 to 3, you're not half as strong as the SFX make you appear to be and d) when the **** hits the fan and you're backed into a corner, demoman pretty much gets neutered. And that's pretty much every wave after 6 for average players. Even firebugs have a better chance of survival at PB range than a demoman.

I've yet to play with a Rank 6 demo though.

Upvote 0