• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Few questions about points

Katkera

Dec 11, 2006
Don't get me wrong, I love the game.. but I registered :p so I just had to mention this:

Why doesn't blowing stuff up in Stalingrad award points? Something along the lines of 5 points like with resupplying would be nice..

Also, have the devs considered some kind of defending point system? I think Battlefield 2 had something like this if I don't remember too wrong.. Basicly, you'd get a point or two when you manage to stop the enemy from capturing the zone and get the bar on your side full again.

I know these are small things, but I had to share.. :D

I always thought points for defending would be a good idea as well.

I think 5 points for blowing up a wall is way too much, but I do think points are deerving in said situation. Maybe one point for each section you blow.

Don't forget the satchel fodder we like to call "Germans" that just swarm around any satchel.

"Hmm, what a lovely backpa-" WHHHAAABBAAMMM!

Upvote 0
While I think it would be cool as hell to have 'defender points', it would be kinda hard to implement. What do you do about the machine gunner who is set up perpendicular to the enemy's angle of advance? If he's continually mowing down enemy troops before they get to the objective, isn't that defending just as well as the SMGer who's hanging out right under the fountain/large rock/train car/whatever? Or the person who's 75m behind the objective, but consistantly picking off anyone who sticks their head up just a little too high. They're defending too. Or the arty that comes down on a side avenue, forcing to enemy to come in from one angle. That's defending for sure on the part of the commander, but he might not even get kills for it, how do you go about rewarding defense points?

Good idea, but the implementation would be too tricky to make it worth the time involved.

Points for blowing objectives though could probably be done easier, and it's much more uniform across the board (either you blew it up, or you didn't) for rewarding points.

Upvote 0
While I think it would be cool as hell to have 'defender points', it would be kinda hard to implement. What do you do about the machine gunner who is set up perpendicular to the enemy's angle of advance? If he's continually mowing down enemy troops before they get to the objective, isn't that defending just as well as the SMGer who's hanging out right under the fountain/large rock/train car/whatever? Or the person who's 75m behind the objective, but consistantly picking off anyone who sticks their head up just a little too high. They're defending too. Or the arty that comes down on a side avenue, forcing to enemy to come in from one angle. That's defending for sure on the part of the commander, but he might not even get kills for it, how do you go about rewarding defense points?​

Good idea, but the implementation would be too tricky to make it worth the time involved.​

Points for blowing objectives though could probably be done easier, and it's much more uniform across the board (either you blew it up, or you didn't) for rewarding points.​

I was thinking the same thing. The only solution I can think of that would work and likely be easy to implement is giving 2 points instead of 1 for enemies killed while they are in a capzone your own team controls. More points for defending this way, and won't warp the gameplay.

Upvote 0
Not sure how hard it would be. There are several ways.

If you get points for capping, you can get points, perhaps fewer points, for being in a capzone that was returned to zero (for those zones that are cappable by only one team.)

Or

If you kill a player who is capping you get an extra point. So a kill is 1, killing a capper is 2, killing an officer is 2, killing an officer who is capping is 3.

Or

You get those points if you kill those cappers but you must be in the cap zone at the time you did (discounts some blind nadage, long range fire or artty).

You get a point for remaining in (i.e. protecting) a cap you team owns, say one point per 30 sec or minute. So you do not reap tons of points for justified camping in a capzone, but you at least get something for doing your duty and staying at the Back Route when everyone else is getting tons of kills at the Mortar Position.

Just some ideas off the top of my head.

I agree that engineers (or perhaps anyone) should get SOME points for blowing objectives. They often put themselves in harms way to do so. Maybe not five points, but two or three.

Upvote 0
MORE important would be -1 point for every time you die..this would slow down the suicide runs some do to capture an objective. I see some people burning the hell out of our reinforcements when they sprint up to the wire on Snowy Forest to lob a nade into the Germans behind the wire, over and over....3 nade kills=3 points, one death means they respawn with 2 more nades and repeat:rolleyes:

-1 for every death would slow the game down a bit, but cause you to protect your life like in a real battle.

gun--who can see his score dropping a bit with his own idea---

Upvote 0
You get those points if you kill those cappers but you must be in the cap zone at the time you did (discounts some blind nadage, long range fire or artty).

My suggestion just a few posts up was the same, 2 points for killing an enemy who is in a capzone you currently control. However, you shouldn't have to be in the actual capzone to get the points, as long as you kill the enemy who is in the zone. Long range fire, snipers, arty, nades and shooting from outside the capzone in any way to defend it, or tanks shooting long distance to kill tanks in the capzones are all great and effective ways to defend and should be encouraged and rewarded with that extra point (in fact, long range is more realistic and less run'n'gun, which would be encouraged if you had to be inthe capzone with the guy to get the extra point for killing him).

Upvote 0
My 2 pfennigs:

Blowing stuff up is its own reward-- I always jump on the engineer slot in Stalingrad because though I've been playing for months, it's still cool as sh*t blowing up doors & walls. Plus I like the feeling that I'm helping out the team by removing obstacles. That having been said, points would be nice to reflect the effort. If I'm doing my job early in the game, often I'm way behind my teammates in points, and points are a way (however abstract) of demonstrating that you are contributing to the team effort.

Then again, I can see some guys wasting time blowing up each section of the North Rail wall to point-whore, while he would be helping his team out much more by capping objectives & killing krauts.

Keeping control of objectives also seems thankless at times, but I agree with those who say that wacky stuff would occur if you awarded points for that. At the end of the game, as much as I like points, I draw most of my satisfaction from contributing to my side's victory (and of course from the experience being as realistic as possible given gameplay constraints).

Upvote 0
How about dumping points altogether as a basis for determination of victory? If one wants a measure of success, go with a simple kill:death ratio. As for determination of victory in a given battle (this is assuming the game engine can be worked this way- I don't know) just assign certain 'Victory Conditions' for each side and either the team makes it or they don't.

For instance, on the Orel map the Germans may be required to cap and hold all three of the Heights zones for a certain amount of time, while the Soviets may be required to blow all of the Axis-side bridges and place at least two arty barrages on North Bridge. Now, each side has its own Victory Conditions which are relatively independent of whatever the other side does in this case. Each side has a chance at achieving a Tactical Victory by accomplishing its mission. If they can achieve their objective AND deny the other side their Victory, that team gets a Decisive Victory, and the other team a simple Loss. If neither team accomplished their mission they BOTH get a Loss. 0 points to the team for a Loss, 1 point for a Tactical Victory, and 2 points for a Decisive Victory.

The fun begins when Victory Conditions are intermingled- say in this same case the Germans are required to have at least one bridge (other than North Bridge) intact at the end of the game, while the Soviets are required to cap and old at least one of the Heights zones for a certain amount of time. Now each side's Victory conditions conflict and it's game on to see who can accomplish the mission.

Every battle doesn't have to be like this, of course, Victory Conditions on a given map could theoretically be altered from server to server. VC's could even be as simple as requiring each side to inflict X% of casualties on the enemy in a specified time- which could esily be worked into a 'meetign engagement' type of scenario.

Again, I don't know if the RO engine can do this or not, but it might be food for thought as some point for a modder to work on.

What this sort of thing does is bring the focus on the MISSION, and not the individual, and encourages more team effort.

If some sort of 'stat accounting' is desired, a simple board listing each player along with his kill:death ratio average and total Victory Points achieved to date. (This sort of thing eliminates- or at least reduces- the Rambo's who are only interested in personal points; in order to be ranked one would have to be actively playing AND working hard to be on a winning team. As an aside to this, there would have to be some sort of accounting for battlefield presence; for instance, for a player to be eligible for Victory Points he would have to be present for say 80% of the time for that round, and be present at the finish time- and no team switching allowed during the round!)

Upvote 0