• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Few extracts from "Come and See", with Eng subtitles

Oh, the plane that keeps showing up; its sound was made by the movie's score composer, he made it more as a part of the background than as a definite noise. I think the movie is wonderful, but I also understand there are people who don't like or just don't get the movie, I won't have a cow (haha) over it. While we can have a laugh at the cow because of the lack of PETA in the USSR, remember this:

In Putinist Russia, cow shoots YOU!

Upvote 0
Hi there, I saw this movie a while back, an its good to see it finally with the english subtitles. I never understood one part though, even though its a small thing. Who is the short guy with the german helmet on with nazi symbols drawn all over it? Hes the guy who gets trapped in the barn and starts shouting that hes one of them and to leave him alone.

Also, did events like this really happen? Most of us see the german army as being well disciplined (or am i just naive), and if ordered to decimate a whole village, would do it "professionally" (if there is a way..?) and not how it is shown in the film.

Upvote 0
I suppose events like this really did happen. The SS and Einsatzgruppen( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Einsatzgruppen ) went around behind the advancing combat troops generally doing this sort of thing.

As for the Heer (I suppose the Waffen-SS could be included here, they weren't all fanatics/psychopaths), I doubt they would of done this sort of thing as readily as the SS and Einsatzgruppen, but who knows? I think they did exercise a scorched earth policy during the retreat from Russia, in one part of the front this may have extended to the local populace and in another it may just mean burning crops, burning buildings etc, while leaving the people to fend for themselves until the Red Army shows up. I suppose it's up to the officers and men, the vast majority, who like most of us, would never even think of liquidating an entire village. We've all probably met people who are just big enough arseholes to do it though, and these sort of people usually did quite well under the Nazis.

Upvote 0
Also, did events like this really happen? Most of us see the german army as being well disciplined (or am i just naive), and if ordered to decimate a whole village, would do it "professionally" (if there is a way..?) and not how it is shown in the film.

In the movie this was a mix of Einsatzgruppen, poorly-trained security troops assigned to "partisan duty", and Russian "Helpers", who were clearly abused by the SS in the movie.

Upvote 0
Oh come on guys... Do you honestly believe hundreds of germans (aka HUMAN BEINGS) once stood infront of that burning church with satanic smiles, laughing at children and women burning in agony?

Oh come on guys... do you not understand this is the ****ing eastern front. Second only to continental Asia when it comes to crimes against humanity during the war?

Upvote 0
Oh come on guys... do you not understand this is the ****ing eastern front. Second only to continental Asia when it comes to crimes against humanity during the war?

Spot on. Plus, I've got abso-beep-lutely no doubt that there were members of the Einsatztruppen who did it not only with a deep sense of duty, but also those who did it for their sadistic pleasure. Because I know that when you give someone the power over someone else's life, people can be downright animals.

How do I know? Just YouTube any Iraq video and listen to American boys laugh heartily after seeing a 500 lbs drop on "a terrorist building". Do the same with any execution video or the like and watch the unquestioning faith in the good of what they are doing. Hell, even a snuff film'd do.

So what was that about "HUMAN BEINGS" (just a side not - I really hope you were not inferring that since Germans are human beings, the people in the barn - weren't)?

Obviously, a difficult topic and in the end - no one's a saint if you're in those kinds of situations. Well, unless you're really a saint and die a martyr.

Upvote 0
So what was that about "HUMAN BEINGS" (just a side not - I really hope you were not inferring that since Germans are human beings, the people in the barn - weren't)?

I was talking about the german soldiers. Obviously the maker of this movie hates germany and also desired to inspire that feeling over the public by putting up such exagerated scenes and making it sound like its in Germans nature to act like drunken hell hounds, even with the company of officers.

And just a side note, dont start accusing me of holocaust or german cruelty denial. I just think this ****'s overly one-sided.

Upvote 0
Those are not soldiers, they were Einsatzgruppen - death squads whose sole purpose was to liquidate masses of civilians and other undesirables. The events depicted in this film are not only documented fact but pretty standard practice on the Eastern front. And, what, would you have to meet a genocidist to understand that those who carried out this kind of work were necessarily inhuman, sadistic freaks? Human beings? They hardly qualify.

Upvote 0
I was talking about the german soldiers. Obviously the maker of this movie hates germany and also desired to inspire that feeling over the public by putting up such exagerated scenes and making it sound like its in Germans nature to act like drunken hell hounds, even with the company of officers.

And just a side note, dont start accusing me of holocaust or german cruelty denial. I just think this ****'s overly one-sided.

Unlucky dude. The Germans really did massacre thousands of innocent Russian civilians in this fashion.

I suppose deep down, you also think Auschwitz was a hoax too huh?

Upvote 0