• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Fed up of hyped games getting 10/10?

Yahtzee looks like a random Mr. Know-it-all, who doesn't like any games at all, and just ridiculizes the game's topic and its players, more than the game itself. IMO Yahtzee is just an asshole that stopped being funny after the first 5-6 reviews.

The AVGN reviews what is important in a game, uses actual gameplay and don't insult the people that play them.

Upvote 0
I am a "The Witcher" fanboy and proud member of the superior PC gaming race too

Can you tell me how many times you've seen the fat guy with glasses and acne playing MMORPGs? too many to count them I suppose.

I do like MMORPGs too and I have nothing to do with that fat guy he pictures as the player, and even if I did, I would still find it very insulting (probably even more insulting)

You can see his enfasis is mainly on the people who plays them, and thus his lastest reviews were aimed , the first at the nintendo fanboys and the next at the people who don't like his reviews.
I do not own any nintendo other than the first "game boy" and I don't specially like the nintendo stuff, but I understand and support the nintendo fanboy's right to be pissed off.

He likes to mess with the people, and that's what I call an asshole

Did you actually watch his reviews or are you just an angry Yahtzee fanboy?

Upvote 0
I'm hardly a fanboy of Yahtzee, he just makes me laugh; I was referring to the fact that you said he didn't like any games he reviewed, and besides, I hardly take his reviews seriously, I just enjoy the cynicism.

Also, in reply to the fanboy part

internet_serious_business4.jpg

Upvote 0
I personally don't like Yahtzee for the way he discriminates people in his reviews

He really doesn't do that with a straight face, at least I don't interpret it that way. :rolleyes:

Oh well, I'm kind of bored of Yathzee because he (if not that seriously) citates himself as a some intellectual gaming mastermind but almost always shoots down innovative titles and the most praise is still given to the money making huge titles (Bioshock, Assasin's Creed, Call of Duty 4 etc.) with the criticism being "this is not innovative but it is done well". Then what the hell would be his dream game then? Top seller with innovativeness that suits everyone?

I'd just think I'd enjoy the reviews a lot more if he'd concentrate more on solid criticism with more considered opinions than cropping dildos and penises and placing them on every animation frame of his review.

Upvote 0
then we agree in that point

I personally don't like Yahtzee for the way he discriminates people in his reviews, I've seen the reviews and thats my interpretation of them, thats all
i never saw it like that. when he makes fun of groups like nintendo fanboys, he is obviously talking about those who are fans of nintendo games because it is nintendo, even if the game is lame. and who attack anybody who has critique towards something they like.
he obviously uses and abuses of stereotypes like the fat dorky MMORPG player character but thats just funny.
if you remove anything that could hurt somebody you would end up with a dull review that wouldn't get 5% of the views he gets now.
take it for what it is, an exagerrated humoristic review.

Upvote 0
i never saw it like that. when he makes fun of groups like nintendo fanboys, he is obviously talking about those who are fans of nintendo games because it is nintendo, even if the game is lame. and who attack anybody who has critique towards something they like.
he obviously uses and abuses of stereotypes like the fat dorky MMORPG player character but thats just funny.
if you remove anything that could hurt somebody you would end up with a dull review that wouldn't get 5% of the views he gets now.
take it for what it is, an exagerrated humoristic review.

The AVGN is funny as hell without hurting anyone (or not that I remember)

Also, people arround here didn't take too well when X-play labeled the RO community as, **** retentive history buffs, and it obviously was a review meant to be fun. but when you are the one being ridiculized, it suddenly stops being funny (apart from other BS about that review that we all know about)

If Yahtzee made a review with RO, do you think it would be any diferent?, maybe the humor would be with more cynicism, and with more c*cks and b*tches, but his opinion about the game and us would be exactly the same as X-play's, I don't see both reviews would be drastically diferent

first, he doesn't like multiplayer games
second, he seems to favour hyped games
third, he critizises innovation and diferent things
fourth, he will also get frustrated really fast after realizing how much he would suck at RO

Upvote 0
I think some of you don't "get" Yahtzee's humour. Whether you agree with his reviews or not, it doesn't matter. At all. It's not the point.

I dig Yahtzee but he's an asshole, no doubt about it.
Id rather he did a positive review from time to time, along the lines of Psychonauts but everybody told him he's funnier when negative so I guess that makes him a spineless asshole.

Upvote 0
I dig Yahtzee but he's an asshole, no doubt about it.
Id rather he did a positive review from time to time, along the lines of Psychonauts but everybody told him he's funnier when negative so I guess that makes him a spineless asshole.

So what, you're also in the SSBB > all camp and that's why you're up in arms over his critique style? The guy calls it as he sees it, and isn't afraid to pussyfoot around the flaws in a game. Frankly, more reviews need to be like that.

Upvote 0
So what, you're also in the SSBB > all camp and that's why you're up in arms over his critique style? The guy calls it as he sees it, and isn't afraid to pussyfoot around the flaws in a game. Frankly, more reviews need to be like that.

What's going on here with the auto fanboy replies? I never played SSBB.

How do you make out of "I dig Yahtzee" that I have a problem with his critique style??

Turn a few pages back- I already called him a spineless whore before. And I didnt deduce his "assholeness" from his last ZP- visit his HP and see how he answers to one of his fans, the one who did the most famous ZP parody about Yahtzee' own game Art of Theft.
Not only does Yahtzee humilates him for an unfortunate word pick, but he also make this private correspondence public, for a public humiliation.
The man is an asshole, a funny asshole but an asshole none the less.

Maybe he'll even agree with me- after all he always refers to himself as a mizantrop. (which I dont know why he's so proud about it really- mizantrop is sad, not cool)

Upvote 0
Fanboy or not - if you knew SSB (I still play SSB 64 regularily and I played Melee at a friend's house as I don't have a gamecube. I don't know SSBB personally but the principle is still the same although it's a tad floatier judging from the vids) you would know that what he said about the fighting mechanics couldn't be more off. His description fits almost any fighting game (DoA, Tekken, VF, SF, SC, etc.) but SSB.
That has nothing to do with "calling things like he sees them": It's just nonsense unless you did not play the game at all but just read "fighting game" and made up your review based on that.
This isn't just me saying that as a Dead or Alive veteran would defend Dead or Alive. In games like that you have to be extremely good to even count as good and if you get unlucky you still get beaten by a newbie who buttonmashes (randomly and not always the same button).
That simply isn't the case in SSB. It just isn't! Despite all those random power-ups/pick-ups/stage-events!

His view on unlockable characters in multiplayer games makes sense but it's debatable. I for one like unlockables that are worth more than a few batches of concept art or something (though some of BiA's unlockables were very interesting) because they increase replay-value and as long as the game is playable from the start I think it's alright. I don't have SSBB so I don't know how many characters are available at the start, but I don't think you'd find yourself completely bored with the game just because a few characters are still locked. Just take another one then, duh.

So, I was pretty dissapointed in that review because it didn't pick on any funny flaws of the game but it was pretty much a review of "fighting game" with some Anti-Fanboy Mario hatred instead of a review of SSBB. I think the game has enough flaws to pick on so you don't have to make them up.

Imagine he would review Red Orchestra and would make only make fun of how Americans once again had to save the day and how everything is burried under American patriotism. Wait a minute: That's not RO you reviewed there!

Don't you agree that it is funnier when he blows actual flaws out of porpotion and stomps a game based on those? Or if he disassembles the suspension of disbelief in a game?

Upvote 0
if this guy would review RO and if he has any consistency, then im am sure he would point out good parts as: no american herous that save the day, price, steep learning curve, different gameplay, bayo's,gore, no kiddies, realistic compared to others of the genre... and for the bad parts he could use: no SP(i don't care) elitist playerbase, high learning curve again, few servers to play on as he is an aussy,... im having trouble finding more objective bad parts he could use, so it is likely that he would turn discussably good/bad features into bad features to be able to make some jokes, things like recoil being excessive so that you couldn't hit an elefant from 5 m, or the annoying stamina and weapon sway. if he actually wanted to stay consistent with his other reviews he should actually acclaim those features, as he always critiques games that don't have them.

Upvote 0
if this guy would review RO and if he has any consistency, then im am sure he would point out good parts as: no american herous that save the day, price, steep learning curve, different gameplay, bayo's,gore, no kiddies, realistic compared to others of the genre... and for the bad parts he could use: no SP(i don't care) elitist playerbase, high learning curve again, few servers to play on as he is an aussy,... im having trouble finding more objective bad parts he could use, so it is likely that he would turn discussably good/bad features into bad features to be able to make some jokes, things like recoil being excessive so that you couldn't hit an elefant from 5 m, or the annoying stamina and weapon sway. if he actually wanted to stay consistent with his other reviews he should actually acclaim those features, as he always critiques games that don't have them.

This is far too optimistic

Upvote 0