• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Fed up of hyped games getting 10/10?

My opinion:

COD4 Singleplayer is ok, not mediocre, but not great. We've essentially already played this game, it's called COD2. As I played it on veteran, the game was ridiculously hard. Oddly although a hard game, without insane clairvoyant nade spam the AI would have no chance whatsoever. MP is also ok, but, like TF2 at base it's dead simple and just doesn't have the staying power of something like RO or QW.

It was worth purchasing and one of the better games of last year, but at the end of the day wasn't even close to the original COD.

Upvote 0
Reddog wtf? You can't be serious. Soviet's bang on the mark though (except with the "worth purchasing" part - I'm regretting ever being talked into it). My expectations were rock bottom after CoD 2 so I wasn't disappointed at all and I will even admit that some elements have definitely been improved, but other things are much worse. Like how they've sunk to using nothing but small levels padded purely with infinitely respawning enemies to give them impression that there's more content than there really is. And the AI's nade spam... *shudders*. It wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the fact that just like in TDM, as soon as you kill them they pop right back with a fresh supply of nades...

I think Yahtzee was far too kind to CoD 4. But then so was every other reviewer so meh. The masses want consolified ****e and that's what they got.

Upvote 0
Now i am a huge RO fan but I have to give full props to cod4. I too had extremely low expectations after cod2 but cod4 actually mixed things up a bit. For starters it wasn't all run here shoot 20303040 enemies and win. They mixed it up with stealthy missions, using air support, being air support and mixed together with a relatively intriguing story line in a multitude of locations.

As for the MP, yes it is "simple" but as with all games that are simple to pick up they are incredibly hard to master because every 15 year old has spent the last 48 hours solely learning annoying nades to kill you with. Public play is what it is but in matches it has a lot going for it.

And something that most game developers can learn from (including twi) is the polish of this game. I find it no coincidence that the MP has been so hugely popular when I have yet to find a bug in MP. Yes there are balancing issues but thats a different story all together. The game (because they've used the same engine for yeeeeeaaaars) is so refined (especially movement) that you are fighting only opponents and not the game itself.

Upvote 0
Yeah, gj comparing TWI to Activision and Infinity Ward. I'm certain if TWI had half the experience or the resources accesible to them RO would be as polished, if not more so.

Anyway.

This is the Zero Punctuation thread, not the how great/**** CoD4 is thread.

When the next review comes I'm sure we'll discuss whatever game he reviewed.

Upvote 0
Yeah, gj comparing TWI to Activision and Infinity Ward. I'm certain if TWI had half the experience or the resources accesible to them RO would be as polished, if not more so.

Anyway.

This is the Zero Punctuation thread, not the how great/**** CoD4 is thread.

Why shouldn't we compare the two. Yes Activision/IW have a lot more money to splash about but at the end of the day I am paying money to both companies so i expect a working product. Ok RO may have only been

Upvote 0
SheepDip i honestly think you sometimes come here just to argue with people.

Sprad commented about the quality of polish that CoD4 has. Now this does not make me like the game any more than you probably do but Sprad has a valid point.

We played RO mod for so long with its countless amounts of bugs and exploits but we still loved the game for what it was. So i don't think Sprad was intentionally trying to bash TWI. Let alone start an argument.

Upvote 0
Yes, I do like arguing. Few beers, come home, browse the forums, argue. I mean no offense to those I'm arguing with, so?

Yes, he does have a valid point. But insinuating that TWI could learn something from it is just wrong. If more developers were like TWI things would be a lot different, and a lot better.

I think there are lots of things where TWI can learn things from and learn ideas from, and in the same where there are lots of devs that can learn from TWI.

Why reinvent the wheel if someone did it before you, by looking at things that work and incorporating them in your game you can probably gain a lot of time with features that might or might not turn out well. Although experimenting must never cease.

The server options and configurability are some things that allow servers to tweak to multiple game changes, from the mod ro to stock ro there are certain new features that i liked and some that i hated. A game can't be made to be liked by everybody, but by configurable servers you can touch the sweet spot of many more gamers.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yes, I do like arguing. Few beers, come home, browse the forums, argue. I mean no offense to those I'm arguing with, so?

Yes, he does have a valid point. But insinuating that TWI could learn something from it is just wrong. If more developers were like TWI things would be a lot different, and a lot better.

They could learn something. They could learn how it's not to be done and continue the way they have so far ;):D

Upvote 0
The guys at TW worked and worked to get the game where it is.
I will probably get my fingers slapped but I received on average a couple of updates a week over something like 18 months.

Being a Tester is is a pleasure but can be very stressful, of those that joined at the same time as myself, very, very few remain.
Its hard work.

Call me a fan-boy and you are right.
As for the price, ha! peanuts...

Should not post this but sometimes I get miffed off.
Hey, I learn every day and thats what keeps me going.
They/them know what they want and I'm pretty sure it will be done.
Go buy another copy of RO.
I'll shut up now.

Thanks ...51...

Upvote 0