• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Fed up of hyped games getting 10/10?

I posted this on another board in a thread about the same topic (the ZP reviwe of Painkiller). I explained why I, like you, gravitate to either realistic or nonsense shooters. Maybe it explains your reasons too. If not it would be nice if you could post your view on this.
I pretty much agree with what you said. I don't mind games that are honest about what they want to be, but these days all these companies are trying to pull in everyone by mixing in small doses of everything, then billing it as an every-man's game, which is a load of crap. When I play games (shooters specifically), I generally want it to be as realistic as possible, because there's nothing I hate more than seeing someone do something that defies the laws of physics and common sense. Unless, the whole game's that way. If a game has set out to be as absurd and unrealistic as possible (Serious Sam, Painkiller, TF2) then that, to me, is not only acceptable, but quite attractive.

For the record, I also thought Psychonauts was awesome before Yahtzee's review of it too and I can't wait for Brutal Legend. I might even buy an Xbox for it.

Upvote 0
I pretty much agree with what you said. I don't mind games that are honest about what they want to be, but these days all these companies are trying to pull in everyone by mixing in small doses of everything, then billing it as an every-man's game, which is a load of crap. When I play games (shooters specifically), I generally want it to be as realistic as possible, because there's nothing I hate more than seeing someone do something that defies the laws of physics and common sense. Unless, the whole game's that way. If a game has set out to be as absurd and unrealistic as possible (Serious Sam, Painkiller, TF2) then that, to me, is not only acceptable, but quite attractive.

We should start a club for bipolar realism gamers, because i could not agree more!

Either be realistic or not at all, both can be great! but when they try to be both at the same time.. instant fail.

Upvote 0
Games like CS, BF series (I blame EA), etc are just wannabe realism shooters. You make an arcade game or a tactical shooter, there is NO middle ground. A realism game needs to be realistic and that means NO bunny hoping, no dolphin diving no ultra resistant armor that can deflect everything. An arcade game on the other hand has to be balanced and fun, but this is mostly sacrificed in the wannabe tactical shooters and the worst kinda games are those that are unbalanced, especially when the game is meant to be a MP game.

Upvote 0
the problem with this people is that they try to make realistic games, but their concept of realism only covers "graphical realism", while they don't even consider making a gameplay any diferent than quake 3's for the masses

we say they fail, because the game sux, but they do NOT fail, they are selling millions of copies and they are getting rich, so they will keep making those games and increase "their" realism by making people buy new gfx cards

Upvote 0
Games like CS, BF series (I blame EA), etc are just wannabe realism shooters. You make an arcade game or a tactical shooter, there is NO middle ground. A realism game needs to be realistic and that means NO bunny hoping, no dolphin diving no ultra resistant armor that can deflect everything. An arcade game on the other hand has to be balanced and fun, but this is mostly sacrificed in the wannabe tactical shooters and the worst kinda games are those that are unbalanced, especially when the game is meant to be a MP game.

Except that CS actually was one of the most realistic games when it first was opened up to public play.

Upvote 0
Except that CS actually was one of the most realistic games when it first was opened up to public play.

I'll show you leniency this time and assume you said that out of ignorance rather than malice..

A few mods came before it, and bested it in every way in regards to realism, mods like D-day, Serpentine and Infiltration.
CS was never any more than AQ2 with a new gamemode, and all the fun stripped out.

Upvote 0
We should start a club for bipolar realism gamers, because i could not agree more!
...and I'd be your first member, for me when it comes to really enjoying an FPS game it's either gotta be realism or over the top, slaying hordes of enemies. I can enjoy the inbetween, but then you go into the realms of the cookie-cutter FPS experience and it's just not as unique or fun to me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
D-Day for Quake 2 was probably the single worst ww2 experience I've ever had. It makes DoD look like an early Tom Clancy title.

If you played it after having played games like DoD, then yeah, it would be a huge step backwards, but it was the first of its kind really, and back then, features like iron sights, reloading and having to bolt your rifle was a revolution!

You have to put thease things into their propper context, D-day tread so much new ground back then, things we take for granted today, but back then it was really something else.

CS on the other hand just introduced a "buy guns before you start" system, everything else about it had been done, and done better.

Upvote 0
I'll show you leniency this time and assume you said that out of ignorance rather than malice..

A few mods came before it, and bested it in every way in regards to realism, mods like D-day, Serpentine and Infiltration.
CS was never any more than AQ2 with a new gamemode, and all the fun stripped out.

OK sorry let me rephrase:

CS was the first game that got a big following. And back then when it was becomeing big (around Beta 5) it was one of the most realistic mainstream games.

Upvote 0
He's right on that point. It always felt like a massively dumbed down clone of Rogue Spear, but it appealed to the masses and at the time the biggest competition for online shooter was Quake 2. In comparison to that, CS was realism incarnate and I remember stalwartly defending it whilst waving my realism banner in the faces of the hardcore TF players. Not that I didn't like TF, but I wasn't about to let the latest "realistic" game get trampled. Especially after the lack of popularity of R6 for online play.

Upvote 0