• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] FEAR 2 Demo

KrazyKraut

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Beer capital of the world
Anyone played it yet? I just finished it and it left me with mixed feelings. It still had the atmosphere and looked good while running pretty smooth. But it definetly has some weird issues probably due to "consolification": There is no 5:4 or 4:3 support, only 16:10. Wtf? Also: no leaning. And this game needs leaning. Bad.

I also didn't like the Mech-part, I always hate when first person shooters get interrupted by stupid, shooting-gallery-style mini games. That's a matter of taste though. Thank god there is no health regen though. Good ol' medkits.

http://www.fileshack.com/file.x/13584/F.E.A.R.+2:+Project+Origin+Singleplayer+Demo

Last edited:
I've played it... Twice... That part in the school when all of those guys are 50 different kinds of f***ed up was so scary. Perfect atmosphere with the lights and Alma. Combat is... meh... Not as good as the first, after a firefight it doesn't look like one occurred, no real damage to walls, no dust, good blood from your enemies but thats it. The enemies are a lot weaker now which I think is a good thing, instead of taking half a clip to the head they can take 1/3 of a clip to the head.

F.E.A.R 2 will be a definite buy I thought the demo was so much fun.

Upvote 0
I miss the leaning and the slide kick melee from the first game. That is, unless I'm completely messing up how to do it in this game.

Other than that, the visuals look amazing. I love the AI all over again. One part that caught me off guard was the
Spoiler!

I was just sad that after downloading 1.8GB there wasn't more to the demo. And that leaning was removed, the slide kick removed and the whole weapon management system was console-ified.

I actually don't mind the letterbox format, but I guess that might also be because I run my 360 through my monitor and see it a lot.

Upvote 0
It did scare me :eek: a bit.
But the game play is so,so.
No leaning sucks.
The HUD needs doing away with.

Makes for some loverly screen shot's tho !!!

paipalcdua.jpg

Sorry M8 WS only...

Upvote 0
So what exactly is supposed to be scary?
Everything being on fire and Alma popping up? Personally i think that's rather cheap, like your going into a horrorhouse at a carnaval.
I dont get any feeling of suspense from this game, or the previous FEAR at all. I always rush through the 'horror' bits to finally get some clone soldiers to shoot up again. Alma popping up randomly is just not scary, and it even gets announced with radio static before it happens.
It can finally kill you now in FEAR 2, something which couldnt happen in FEAR 1, adding more to the meh-part, but it still doesnt feel like Alma can pose any danger at all except to some random soldiers you run in to.

Personally i thought the demo was rather boring, mainly because there wasnt enough combat. A flaw just like the original demo had, is that its just not long enough. There is a small bit of fighting, and mostly just walking through hallways with something popping in and out of view every now and then, while the atmosphere isnt haunting at all.
I think we get to kill about 20 soldiers before the demo ends in a mechsuit, which i didnt like at all.

The combat was ok, AI seems to be pretty good, but that they dropped leaning which even the original had, is pretty mindblowing. It's all like 'we are going to invest a lot of time and effort into making the AI tactical' but the player cant even lean around a corner? Even the AI is able to, why shouldnt we? Again, the mechsuit part is totally meh, much like the tank-parts in BiA: Hells Highway are.

Final thing that annoyed me were the 'movie bars'. It's hard for me to get immersed into the game when i look at 2 huge black bars the entire time, and it gives the graphics a 'compressed' feeling. It's nice if they want a movie-like experience and all but this **** just needs to go!

I would like to play around with the AI some more, but the idea of having to wade through the entire parade of cheap frights before finally getting to some soldiers is really putting me off. And if i do play it again, i can get maybe 5 minutes of enjoyment out of fighting those soldiers before they are all dead and then all that's left is some more cheap scares and finally the meh-suit. For comfort i think i'm just gonna leave the C out of mech-suit, because that would be a more fitting description.:p

Man, and i didnt even want to sound so critical, but this just left me totally unsatisfied, considering i took the time to download a 1,8 gig file.

Upvote 0
I actually don't mind the letterbox format, but I guess that might also be because I run my 360 through my monitor and see it a lot.

If your using the VGA adapter for the 360 its been updated and now supports more widescreen resolutions monitor (like 1680x1050) so that may get rid of the letter box :)

But on topic, never played the first one as it came out between having an old computer and somthing that could actually play it. Meant to pick it up cheap as it seemed like id enjoy it, but never did so I may give this one a try.

Upvote 0
Zips mentioned naked Alma. I didn't really notice her as being naked, but I do think it would be a great reason for us to start writing some love poetry dedicated to her.

I'll start:

There once was a chick named Alma
Who tried to induce major trauma
One time she did scare me
She seems a little hairy
She's like a super emo Hannah Montana

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I managed to get it running on my laptop, I have enough ram and such and my 256mb 8400GS seemed to do the job. I enjoyed it. Got freaked out in a few bits. Just want to go back to continue Dead Space now. Strange thing about the Ram was that the demo seemed to be using a lot more then 1.5GB, as I have 3GB and the warning came up. Still finished it though.

Upvote 0