• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

FCC pushes for broadband over power lines

http://news.com.com/FCC+pushes+for+broadband+over+power+lines/2100-1028_3-6101925.html?tag=nefd.top

bplgraphic_372x819.jpg

****ing failure. I heard about this like 4 years ago. There is too damned much interference. Just put up fiber FFS and stop trying to be cheap. NOTHING, aside from flashing lazers through a vacume that is 100 miles long is as fast as fiber, so basically if you just put the bandwidth in up front you dont have to worry about it for the next 50 years. GAHHHHHHHHHH

Upvote 0
Hyperion2010 said:
****ing failure. I heard about this like 4 years ago. There is too damned much interference. Just put up fiber FFS and stop trying to be cheap. NOTHING, aside from flashing lazers through a vacume that is 100 miles long is as fast as fiber, so basically if you just put the bandwidth in up front you dont have to worry about it for the next 50 years. GAHHHHHHHHHH

So very True

Upvote 0
You can't put the internets on power lines, its a series of tubes and they're not flexible so they'll break.

I doubt a Senate Committee that doesn't even fully understand the Internets will fully understand the finer points of electromagnetic interference.

"Well, they can't interfere if they're on a seperate line, they're SEPERATE. All that black stuff used as coating protects the magnatron wave tensor particle differentials from the thetans that rob us of our megahertz."

Upvote 0
Hyperion2010 said:
I have a fiber optic connection 100mbit it rules :) Fastest dl I've ever had went at 10 megabytes per second!

Upvote 0
MrBunsy said:
"many areas where broadband choices have been limited to DSL or cable modems" What on earth does that mean? What's so limiting about cable modems? you can get 100mb connections through a cable modem!

It seems a bit pointless to me, far better to use proper infrastructure for the internet than attach it to the mains.
so weird.... the only thing i got from the article was not that it would provide a service that was suppeirior to DSL or cable, but less expensive. People limitation to DSL or cable modems is typically because they can't afford it:

If broadband over power lines, or BPL, takes off, then more Americans, particularly in rural and underserved areas, will be able to plug into high-speed Internet access, and markets dominated by cable and DSL (digital subscriber line) should be forced to lower consumers' bills

which to me, seems like a good thing.

Upvote 0
Hyperion2010 said:

One problem with fibres optics is that they found 1350nanometer wavelength tubing to have ideal, low dispersion characteristics; after laying loads of that cable they then found that 1500nm cable has even lower dispersion characteristics. Lower dispersion=faster data transfer. So it's not as simple as it might first appear.

2ltben said:
"Well, they can't interfere if they're on a seperate line, they're SEPERATE. All that black stuff used as coating protects the magnatron wave tensor particle differentials from the thetans that rob us of our megahertz."
Use capitalisation all you want but you're still wrong. An alternating current travelling down a wire creates an atlernating magnetic field. A wire in an alternating magnetic field will have a current induced in it. It is the basis of the production of electricity. Unforunately it also is responsible for 'crosstalk'. That is why they dont like you using electronics in 'fly-by-wire' aircraft. Cables can be shielded but that is far more expensive to do and has little to do with the black rubber coating in which you put so much faith.

Upvote 0