• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design fast question

Regular visibility is computed on the fly, meaning everything behind that wall you're looking at won't be rendered. This can be hard on some systems as they still have to calculate whether or not something is "hidden."

Precomputed visibility helps slightly by breaking the map down into boxes where each box already knows what is hidden behind nearby meshes. That way, when you walk into the box, the box can tell your system what it can ignore before doing a visibility check.

The downside is that depending on how you break down your precomputed visibility, it can increase the size of your map and also the compile time considerably. So it's best to do only as a final version.

Edit: spelling

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Also note that objects with translucency / masking need to be manually exempt from visibility collision checking for it to work properly as per UDN recommendation. (it's under the collision channel flags of the static mesh component)

i build the PV and i note that some meshes still not drawing for the distance

I thought that PV will fix it

Upvote 0
Yes, culling volume, also know as, if I remember well, "cull distance volume", check that in official maps and SDK. In the volume properties, you have different lines for different sizes "XXX" for which you assign a draw distance "ZZZ", this way, every object as big as XXX will have a draw distance of ZZZ. But you will always have to optimize manually in my opinion, with the draw distance in the meshes properties and tweak most of static meshes for better optimization (I'll do that near the end of map creation).

Last edited:
Upvote 0