• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Far Cry 2 - First Info

why do I make those statements? because it's my opinion and I'm allowed to express it(whether you like it or not). If it bothers you so much you don't have to buy/play the game, hence just get over it, you can waste your time on other games you actually like. And if you actually enjoyed vegas what's the problem? It's not what you wanted but you still liked it.

You might remember oh so great innovative games, but video games are a pretty recent industry, so there's a lot of room for innovation. It gets harder and harder to be innovative as time goes on and about every idea gets tried. And even back then not that many games were innovative. Innovation has always come far in between, consider the amount of videogames released, and the ones you actually remember. RO's biggest innovation is that it's set on the eastern front instead of the good ol western front, it stands out because it is one of the best realism shooters.

Actually you know what? you don't have an argument, most of your post you're bashing gamers for liking such games, the industry for selling those games to people who like them, and going into nostalgic trances. They can call their games whatever they want, I don't buy games because of a name, I buy games because I like them.

Upvote 0
How would you feel if RO2 was more like COD than RO1? Same sort of thing..I would be a bit pissed if I got RO2 and it turned out i'd been suckered into buying it assuming it would have similar qualities to RO1 but really its more like COD5 - Ostfront. Its false advertising, but you should expect that nowadays I suppose. You can like COD and RO, but if you buy something with the RO name but its actually COD they are just using the popularity of the name to get more buyers. Some examples:

The fallout name: first 2 games are RPG's, then they release a tactical squad based game like XCOM yet has nothing to do with Fallout except the setting. Then you get Brotherhood of Steel, which I never played but I heard it was complete garbage and had nothing to do with the original Brotherhood of Steel that there was in Fallout, completely discarding the original story. Now you have a team that makes watered down action games with some RPG elements owning rights to the name and can do whatever they like with it.

XCOM - they took that popular name and made a crappy FPS out of it and also a space sim.

Nearly all movie sequels you see nowadays will just be using the name to sell the film, even if the sequel has hardly anything to do with the original..in fact I think most sequels are so crap because they know the name is all they need to sell it..it doesn't need its own merits because people will see the name and watch it because of that.

Lego Star Wars? lol

Changing things to make it more interesting is fine, but I don't think its cynical to assume most sequels are only using the name to get more customers.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Melipone: Like I said, a name is no reason to buy a game, if you are suckered into buying something just because of what it's called it's your fault. There are demos, previews, reviews, and other means to have a good idea what the game will be like. Fallout 3 is going to be nothing like the first fallouts, in fact it looks like it has more in common with oblivion, should they call it oblivion? What does it matter? I just want it to be a good entertaining game.

Upvote 0
FarCry in Africa? let me just ponder that one for a moment..

Dental plan, Lisa needs braces, Dental plan, Lisa needs braces, Dental plan, Lisa needs braces, Dental plan, Lisa needs braces, Dental plan, Lisa needs braces, Dental plan, Lisa needs braces, Dental plan, Lisa needs braces, Dental plan, Lisa needs braces, Dental plan, Lisa needs braces, Dental plan, Lisa needs braces, Dental plan, Lisa needs braces, Dental plan, Lisa needs braces.

Nope, i just dont see it, what does that have to do with FaCry again!?

Upvote 0
Just wrong. 95% of the people who complained on the Ubi-Forums got over that oh noes it doesn't have planning screw this arcade wannabe R6 when they first played it and they all loved it. I played Rogue Spear and Black Thorn like 5 years ago and it was fun, but I never bothered doing any planning or anything. Also the reason why there are no protagonists from old series(which is kind of wrong as your commander is Ding Chavez or some other old R6 guy, I forgot) is because the game is playing in the future ffs, you wanna play with 60year olds or what. Good if you don't want to get over it, that's your problem then, but I can tell you that there won't ever be another Rainbow Six that'll be like Rogue Spear(at least not by Ubisoft) and actually it's quite sad that a game is so important to you, it's just like those people complaing about even the smallest detail on a german uniform in a ww2 arcade game, GET A LIFE.

Upvote 0
Just wrong. 95% of the people who complained on the Ubi-Forums got over that oh noes it doesn't have planning screw this arcade wannabe R6 when they first played it and they all loved it.
There is a slight difference between "loving it" and saying "well, it's fun". While Vegas is fun, it is no R6 title, and thus shouldn't have born that name. Would be the same if TW made RO 2 a space-pod racing game.

I played Rogue Spear and Black Thorn like 5 years ago and it was fun, but I never bothered doing any planning or anything.
I did bother with planning. In fact, I spend most of the time planning and enjoyed every second of it. That's why for me not being able to plan, not even able to approach missions differently, as they are tubes of successing rooms instead of an open believable environments, the most important feature that made the R6 series stand out from the crowd is gone, thus LD and Vegas don't deserve that name.
Just assume that you like the tanking in RO and for you, the tanks are the one thing that make you come back to RO. How would you feel if that most important factor of the game would be gone in the usccessor?

Also the reason why there are no protagonists from old series(which is kind of wrong as your commander is Ding Chavez or some other old R6 guy, I forgot) is because the game is playing in the future ffs, you wanna play with 60year olds or what.
Every single R6 game played in the future. A near future, that is. That argument is thus rendered invalid.

Good if you don't want to get over it, that's your problem then, but I can tell you that there won't ever be another Rainbow Six that'll be like Rogue Spear(at least not by Ubisoft) and actually it's quite sad that a game is so important to you, it's just like those people complaing about even the smallest detail on a german uniform in a ww2 arcade game, GET A LIFE.
I can live with the fact that there won't be any true R6 games to come. I do can live with the fact that LD and Vegas were called R6. But being able to live with something doesn't mean you have to agree with it. I still think that it is a wrong marketing strategy to slap a well known name on something totally different just so you don't have to establish a new brand. That's just a way to save a little money for the publishers.

And why are you offended? At least you come across like you were. It's not like I critisized you, I critisized the practises of large publishers.

Upvote 0