• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Fallout: New Vegas

EvilAmericanMan

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 27, 2005
Palm Coast, FL
So since we have a thread on Black Ops which is coming later in the year I figured we could start a few other threads on games that are coming out later. At least ones that I'm looking forward to :D This fall!

[url]http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Portal:Fallout:_New_Vegas[/URL]

A lot of information there that I didn't even know of before (there's quite a bit of info on the new weapons and armor for example). I put many hours into Fallout 3, NV looks to be the best of both types of Fallouts (though admittedly I couldn't get more than 20 minutes into the first two, the battle system raped me so hardcore).

So since we have a thread on Black Ops which is coming later in the year I figured we could start a few other threads on games that are coming out later. At least ones that I'm looking forward to :D This fall!

[url]http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Portal:Fallout:_New_Vegas[/URL]

A lot of information there that I didn't even know of before (there's quite a bit of info on the new weapons and armor for example). I put many hours into Fallout 3, NV looks to be the best of both types of Fallouts (though admittedly I couldn't get more than 20 minutes into the first two, the battle system raped me so hardcore).

What?

The first 20 minutes are easy as cake in the first two, just kill some rats and scorpions and you are done.

Upvote 0
Well I'd try to hit it and all my shots would miss or they'd do little damage, then the scorpion would poison me and then just finish me off as I keep missing shots...trying to escape..it comes right after me.

Also I'm talking of once you get out of the vault. Even that was an exercise in frustration even though I got through. But that's not the point of this thread anyway!!!!

Upvote 0
I'm getting NV, I just love FO3, actually, I'm playing it right now, heavily moded, with my own texture for the pipboy and clothes (which were also a mod already) =P

Spoiler!

Upvote 0
Well I'd try to hit it and all my shots would miss or they'd do little damage, then the scorpion would poison me and then just finish me off as I keep missing shots...trying to escape..it comes right after me.

Also I'm talking of once you get out of the vault. Even that was an exercise in frustration even though I got through. But that's not the point of this thread anyway!!!!

Use your close combat weapons.
Also, it heavily depends on your characters abilities.

Upvote 0

Load and try again. If you can't cut it, make a new char with slightly better unarmed/melee skills.

Upvote 0
Spill your guts after the first few hours. Things I'm really interested in knowing: area design and the loot philosophy. Not down for kicking open box after box after box for the same 4 to 6 items that I actually want.

Basically, I want to know how much of the game is adapted from FO3. Plot and dialog, yadda yadda, could care less about. But I do want to know if the open world is as boring or formulaic as it was in FO3.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
As much as I enjoyed Fallout 3 and will most likely enjoy New Vegas it still lacked the atmosphere of the first two. It's primarily the writing, voice acting and the majority of side quests that make it feel like a different game. Fallout in name not in nature.

That isn't a bad thing as F3 was still very good and still vastly superior to most other RPGs.

Upvote 0
I'm going to wait for a special edition with all the DLC included to come out before I get this. I hated the incremental DLC's for FO3. Some were way to skimpy on the content for the price given.

That's what i'm thinking about aswell, do i get it now? or do i wait till the GOTY edition with all the DLC is out, along with all the cool mods?

Hmm.. well, i wont be getting it on day one anyway, i reserve day-one purchases for Tripwire Interactive games, the rest i wait for player reviews on!

Upvote 0
I dont know, Fallout 3 didnt get a very good grip on me. Something about the entire game feels unplausible, and because of that it doesnt feel like a postapocalyptic game even though the entire world is obviously obliterated.
And the combat system is just, yugh. It doesnt feel right as a shooter, and as an RPG feels too lite to be any fun.
I love a good RPG but Oblivion and Fallout 3 dont quite cut it for me.

Upvote 0
I don't know, it was a bit over the top when it came to working tech and other scifi stuff.
In FO 2 it was like that... basically in Navarro and on the Oilrig, while in FO 3 you have all sorts of crazy machines and computers everywhere. And Megaton was just absurd xD
I would've liked more village like settlements with more than five people in it.

Upvote 0