• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Falling from "heights"

how2skate_com

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 20, 2011
I try to watch out not to fall down ladders etc, but sometimes it would come in handy being able to jump down one floor. It's possible in real life, but in the game it always kills you.

I agree that you could fall and break your neck, but the chance of that happening is so small.

Why not make falling/jumping from a small height like being shot in the foot or something (like you twisted your ankle)?

If this is too much work, please increase the distance you can fall without dieing.

i agree

i agree

I try to watch out not to fall down ladders etc, but sometimes it would come in handy being able to jump down one floor. It's possible in real life, but in the game it always kills you.

I agree that you could fall and break your neck, but the chance of that happening is so small.

Why not make falling/jumping from a small height like being shot in the foot or something (like you twisted your ankle)?

If this is too much work, please increase the distance you can fall without dieing.

i agree, even with 10lb of equipment (i figure gun + helmet + ammo + pistol + grenade) jumping at certain "deadly" heights is a joke. i think that anything one story or below should NOT hurt you * trust me i jump off my roof all the time form one story onto our BRICK patio* but rather force you into a non-firing crouch position for like 2 seconds, but anything over one story and up should hurt/kill you.

it should also depend on load out, like AT and MG guy should 100% be severely hurt form a one story jump, he lugging like a idk 40+lb in equipment * the Panzerb

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Heroes of Parkour. It happened in the real Stalingrad, we should have that in.

streetfighting.jpg

Stalingrad.jpg

Upvote 0
I think it would be great if they incorportated jumps/falls from more realistic heights into the mantling mechanic. Approach a ledge, crouch, hit the mantle key and you drop yourself down without injury/death. This would be a balanced approach because you can't just haphazardly jump off, but you have the ability to get down quickly without dying. Landing on uneven terrain such as rubble piles, stairs, (for example, any terrain that you can't set up an LMG on) could give you a non-lethal leg injury.

Sarcastically speaking, though, modest to low heights were deadly in RO:Ost, therefore this CANNOT BE CHANGED BECAUSE IT MEANS PANDERING TO CASUAL GAMERS. Another change to the way things were in Ostfront will just add to the Hue and Cry about encouraging run'n'gun play. Being able to jump/lower yourself from modest heights is so obviously an idea for "COD kiddies" and "arcade" gamers and a type of "realism that encourages unrealistic gaming". Sorry for the sarcasm. I know there are a lot of tactical realism critics of the game that are reasonable, but I also know that anything that increases mobility in the game will be met with resistance by some.

Upvote 0
How can I get downvoted for suggesting a very reasonable idea in a polite and constructive manner? :confused:

If you disagree with the idea, at least post a message why you think it would be bad. And even if you disagree, that's not the point of the reputation system, which is made for "punishing" spammers and annoying people.

Well, not that I care, but it makes no sense.

Upvote 0
Reasonable is in the eye of the beholder. You made a polite suggestion but you have to keep in mind that in this game, you can become combat ineffective from certain wounds (such as from falling or going unconscious) and this game series has always treated combat ineffective the same as 'death' even though you may recover weeks or months later in a virtual hospital.

Upvote 0
Okay, and I agree that even though jumping from 2 stories high won't kill you, but it will seriously hurt you enough to put you out of combat.

But jumping 1 floor down? That's peanuts, and even though it might hurt your knees or ankles a bit, I'm sure it's gonna hurt less than getting shot in the knee (which doesn't kill you in this game).

Upvote 0
dont worry

dont worry

How can I get downvoted for suggesting a very reasonable idea in a polite and constructive manner? :confused:

If you disagree with the idea, at least post a message why you think it would be bad. And even if you disagree, that's not the point of the reputation system, which is made for "punishing" spammers and annoying people.

Well, not that I care, but it makes no sense.

Don't feel bad, look at my rating lol. :p

i have that rating of like "you will never have a future here" but i still post my 2 cents that is very valid with historical PROOF and people get mad.

i got this when i was asking for help because i couldn't get my game working and i said i already tried lot of the stuff people were recommending do because i read alot of forum post's, and they got all defensive and were like "WELL FINE DON'T ASK FOR HELP THEN" and demoted me like 5 times.

the forum is an asshole sometimes, how it works. you may make a valid point, but someone dose not like it so they rate you down.

childish...

Upvote 0
i agree, even with 10lb of equipment (i figure gun + helmet + ammo + pistol + grenade) jumping at certain "deadly" heights is a joke

Your weapon alone can weigh 10lbs. mid 20's if you are carrying an MG. the Mauser K98 alone weighs just under 10. Ammo can be almost half that, pistol is another few pounds, grenades aren't light either. Plus entrenching tool, Bayonet, winter clothing (what soldiers could scrounge), ect.

I certainly don't think it should kill you, dropping less than 8 feet but perhaps there should be a walk slowdown from falling from that height, with gradual 'cool-down time' of like 5-10 seconds? So you drop, walk slowly around for a little while and it gradual comes back. This might prevent players from just sailing off objects and terrain and barreling into a fight.

Last edited:
Reactions: how2skate_com
Upvote 0
Your weapon alone can weigh 10lbs. mid 20's if you are carrying an MG. the Mauser K98 alone weighs just under 10. Ammo can be almost half that, pistol is another few pounds, grenades aren't light either. Plus entrenching tool, Bayonet, winter clothing (what soldiers could scrounge), ect.

I certainly don't think it should kill you, dropping less than 8 feet but perhaps there should be a walk slowdown from falling from that height, with gradual 'cool-down time' of like 5-10 seconds? So you drop, walk slowly around for a little while and it gradual comes back. This might prevent players from just sailing off objects and terrain and barreling into a fight.

if you didn't read my entire msg i stated the weight of the mg34 and other guns.. plz read everything. as for rifle, a k98 weighs 8.1LB with a bayonet and 5 rounds, ammunition itself weighs 1 lb for every 30 rounds, and from what i know they carried only about 45 rounds with then in there 3 pouches of 3 stripper clips, althou they could always cary more yes, i dont consider entrentchign tools as you dont see htem in this game, and winter cloths dont ewigh enough to effect you. and a walter p38 weighed exactly 1lb with a loaded clip, and an M38 helmit *i cant find a weight for it* but im assuming its like 1- 1.5 LB and no more.

so all in all you got 8.1+1+1+1 = 11.1 LB.

So i was off by one Pound, oh well. its still nowhere enough to kill you. ESPECIALLY a German soldier, because they were trained for combat and did and learned how to fall in their obstacle courses ext, and Russian soldier's were civilians that were given guns and told to suicide charge a German emplacement for the motherland.

Sorry but true.

Last edited:
Reactions: shadowmoses
Upvote 0
messed up

messed up

My biggest dislike for this is when you are playing on like "apartments" and when your in the building with the front blown off "toward axis spawn" up on the second floor, there's the big open area that was blown out, you can WALK down and fall like 1/2 a story onto a pile or dirt like a person high and you take damage and if previously hurt, you die. IF I AM GOING TO GET HURT AT ALL FROM IT WHY PUT IT THERE!:mad::mad::mad: its like a beginners trap, and i still sometimes forget about it and die. plz make it so you DON'T get hurt in situations were you ALLOW us to fall on purpose to gain access to other parts of the map, for instance in that scenario to gain access to the main floor WITH OUGHT using the stair cases.

Upvote 0
if you didn't read my entire msg i stated the weight of the mg34 and other guns.. plz read everything. as for rifle, a k98 weighs 8.1LB with a bayonet and 5 rounds, ammunition itself weighs 1 lb for every 30 rounds, and from what i know they carried only about 45 rounds with then in there 3 pouches of 3 stripper clips, althou they could always cary more yes, i dont consider entrentchign tools as you dont see htem in this game, and winter cloths dont ewigh enough to effect you. and a walter p38 weighed exactly 1lb with a loaded clip, and an M38 helmit *i cant find a weight for it* but im assuming its like 1- 1.5 LB and no more.

so all in all you got 8.1+1+1+1 = 11.1 LB.

So i was off by one Pound, oh well. its still nowhere enough to kill you. ESPECIALLY a German soldier, because they were trained for combat and did and learned how to fall in their obstacle courses ext, and Russian soldier's were civilians that were given guns and told to suicide charge a German emplacement for the motherland.

Sorry but true.

Not sure where you are getting your numbers about the K98k from, but thats beside the point. I'm not here to contest you about the game killing you when you fall. If you read my entire post you would read that I was suggesting an alternative for falling from about 1 story. Anything above a story is risking a high chance of injury (compound breaks, sprains, ect.) and unless you want the game to be so realistic that you fall and just lay there for the entire game from a broken tib/fib, the game might as well kill you at that point. Anything under a story should give you a speed nerf for a few seconds with cooldown.
As the game stands now, you don't have an animation where you crouch down, grab onto the ledge and lower yourself. Your character in the game just sails off a drop, so from foot to ground is going to be the height of the drop. You are telling me that you got your weight numbers come from technical observations made of the game's avatars. I'm making my points the same way, now... With out an animation I can only assume that the character sails off without lowering himself. Just as you see only clothes, a weapon, grenades, ammo, helmet, bayonet, tunic, ect. therefor you assume that winter clothes, entrenching tool, mess kit, ect are not a factor.

Last edited:
Upvote 0