• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Failure to fire, failure to eject, failure to feed weapons jams?

Mobius One

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 10, 2006
Will this be implemented in any way in the game? Would add a level of realistic tension regarding the state of firearms at the time, and the necessarily immediate (slapping the receiver to get rid of a stovepipe or FTE) or remedial actions (taking out the magazine, racking the bolt, and inserting the magazine in) in order to bring the firearm back into play? Obviously, with things like bolt-action firearms, they would have very little issues other than perhaps failure to fire, which is ammunition-related, but what about firearms like open-bolt sub machine guns or machine guns?

Are those multiplayer games?

Woudn't be really fair if the game has too many random features that you have no control over.

Well said +1,
Even if it occurs from time to time it's too much of a random element to put in and it would only be annoying. Weapon jamming is rare, yet common in the same way but nothing that belongs in a Multiplayer game in my opinion.

In a mod maybe.

Upvote 0
I think that in the end it would only be annoying (like it is in real life), also it's out of the scope of the game. Or else we'd have guard shifts during nights where you could clean your rifle etc :rolleyes:
It was a cool feature in America's Army. Brings immersion. Just imagine being attacked by a swarm of russians, blind firing at them behind cover and you get a jam, then you have to clear the jam quickly or you will die. And it literally happened like once in a few months so it doesn't interrupt with gameplay. It would just give cool survival moments like those.

Last edited:
Reactions: barakas
Upvote 0
Might be nice to tie it in with the rookie to hero progression thing. Inexperienced soldier, doesn't know how to maintain his crap rifle, more jams etc. Could be another factor in rank progression.

You make it sound like armies throw people out on the battlefield without education in general. When you're going into battle you're already a soldier, you just don't have real combat experience.. your not an idiot.

(Oh yes spare me the details on last resort manpower aka Russian and also German rookies when both the sides were on the brink of defeat, but in general..)

Upvote 0
Well I think the biggest issue with jams is that they're too rare to see on a scale that makes sense in this game. That, and the fact that I don't like features that both hold back the player, and are things that the player is unable to prevent.

... Kind of like an overbearing suppression system. I don't like it when games (especially "realism" ones) try to take away too much control from the player by forcing overtly annoying systems on them based on what the developers think the "average" person would experience.

Upvote 0
From what I can understand from the gameplay videos, they seemed to have modeled weapons like the PPSh-41 pretty well as an open-bolt sub machine gun, so their attention to detail is there.

Weapons jams and failures aren't as uncommon as most of you may think, much of the problems may derive from poor worksmanship from the factory, faulty magazines or improperly inserted magazines, rough handling in the battlefield, dirt and grit that may enter the action that may assist in stoppages, etc.

My point is that weapon stoppages *do* happen, while it is "uncommon", they are not 100% reliable by any means. Any weapons system can fail, the AK series included. While I think it'd probably satisfy most people if weapons stoppages were a togglable option for server hosts, I still think that it'd be nice if this game did incorporate this in a manner that is both realistic (and the way to clear weapon stoppages and misfires appropriately rather than simply reloading the gun like most games do) and immersive.

Upvote 0
What I'd like to see is have faulty cartridges for MG's as those fire off the most rounds in any game.

It would be really interesting to have one out of 200 cartridges fail to go off, with your avatar automatically jerking the bolt handle back to eject it and clear the failed round of of the chamber.

TWI could simply reuse this part of the reload animation.

Upvote 0