• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

3D & Animation Exported Specimen Rigs/models/animations/textures

i dont think your understanding my questions, and possilbly getting lost in translation what your telling us, no offence
You simply didn't Geted what i mean by saying Wrist Effector, its just an example, like for
what if there are clothes around the bone and i didnt want clipping to occur
Maybe im wrong, but i thought you mean that clothes are skinned to other bones, that can't be part of a Biped system, so then you can't move them. Because of this, you can try to use helpers.
This can be reffered as an answer for your question about third hands.

Upvote 0
I think I understand now what cleodj means.

Hes using a maxscript to import existing meshes/bones created by TWI and moving them in possition. These bones are allready enveloped by TWI, thats why they move correctly. WE were talking about inserting a custom mesh not made by TWI and adding the TWI rigs on them or creating a new one. Then you must adjust the envelopes, or your character will go woobley.

Its not hard importing a mesh made by TWI :

54833758.jpg

Its harder when you try to build a custom mesh arround one of the rigs. The envelopes can go all weird and you will need to adjust them. This is what happens if you dont :

vb2q.jpg

I hope this clears things up a bit. And please dont call me a fool again.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hemi,
But you are a Blind Fool ?? You are so Sure That you are Right :)

And i didn't said that you can, automaticly skin Bones to a new Model ???

Look at my last reply's!!! Their means that envelope,skin information of original bones, is automaticly added, to any new bones or Biped Bones system when you import mesh(by using script).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hemi,
But you are a Blind Fool ?? You are so Sure That you are Right :)

And i didn't said that you can, automaticly skin Bones to a new Model ???

Look at my last reply's!!! Their means that envelope,skin information of original bones, is automaticly added, to any new bones or Biped Bones system when you import mesh(by using script).

I can do that by just copying the skin and pasting it on my own mesh in the modifier list. Still the envelope will be from character A while you want it for character B. And character B has 3 arms instead of 2...hence the problem. Envelopes need adjusting if meshes are custom. If your just copying character A and want character B's glasses or mask...then sure...It wil prob work.

Anyway im done...

You are so Sure That you are Right

Thats because I allready did the the work in 3ds max, and I know how it works. Im open to every other suggestion. I just think ignoring the envelopes isnt very wise. But its up to you.

btw : I was trying to understand you. Hence the :
I think I understand now what cleodj means.

Last edited:
Reactions: J.D.* and cleodj
Upvote 0
You are so Sure That you are Right
Thats because I allready did the the work in 3ds max, and I know how it works. Im open to every other suggestion. I just think ignoring the envelopes isnt very wise. But its up to you.

btw : I was trying to understand you. Hence the :
As long, as you are so sure that you're AnyWay Right, you will never be even close to what i've mean't.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Alright folks, if you rly want this opportunity, Soon i will make an Video tutorial and link to the script(its not mine), that adding Biped Bones System along existing Bones, its an Alpha stage so it has some issues, but they are fixible.

ohh nice, cant wait, will it have commentary?

will it include the automatic transfer for vertice mesh weights? or your method for handling this?

Last edited:
Reactions: arramus
Upvote 0
Healthy discussions often lead to new answers/methods, as long as name-calling is excluded. Im also very curious how this automatic weight/enveloping works.

[sarcasm mode]
This will solve all my problems, and allot of game-developers problems too. Not to mention Pixar and their stupid models right? Move over Pixar, you dont need to envelope! We can do it with this script!
[sarcasm mode off]

Just kidding..im generally curious about this method. Lets see it! :)

Reactions: braindead
Upvote 0
I've been reading a number of these posts in the voice of a hotheaded Mr T. I love it when a plan doesn't come together.

Anyhow, good to see step by step progress and input from community members whose work I have seen come to fruition for the benefit of personal development and the greater good. We'll all be watching. :D

YouTube - Get Some Nuts! - Snickers Advert

Upvote 0
that script my be cool n all, but after all that bone assigning and renaming none of that can be used in killingfloor...

it would be MUCH easier to just set up IK and helpers on the existing killing floor rig
Biped is a system and it has own ruls(that helps when animating)!Its quite easier to use biped for animating, instead of just Bones with IK+Helpers.
And its a lot of faster to make Biped, then adding IK+Helpers.

In That table you can save&load defenition.

Renaming is not a big problem(2-3minutes thats all)

I've said before - its not script problem that some Biped Parts are adding uncorrectly, i've used this script for other bones system and its works correctly at all.

Maybe author of that script will make that opportunity to add biped correctly on any bones system, cause tripwire added their bones where they wanted, thats why Biped placed uncorrectly.

Last edited:
Reactions: J.D.*
Upvote 0
You made a biped rig out of an existing TWI skeleton...but what if my character had tentacles comming out of serveral parts of his body and is larger then your soldier or any of the characters in Killing Floor. You would still need to envelope it. You can get very far with autoweight.

YouTube - Autoweight v. 0.017

But you still need to add vertex points to sertain bones and give them a custom weight so they can move better. Its a trail and error process, which we been trying to explain.

This baby used to be the original rig of our character the brute :

rigged.jpg

But since Ive just started with this whole UDK rigging we ended up not using it, because we were getting allot of actor x export errors. Like Yomommassis said, its easier to just use the TWI rigs in animation and then add your own envelopes/weight amounts to custom meshes.

Upvote 0
that is a kool script... i like it

doesnt really help if you have a custom mesh and want to weigh it to an existing bone structure taken out from the game (a bone system which is always easier to work from when modding) - but it could be used to animate one after youve weighed the custom mesh to a bone system exported out of the game - also handy to re-animate models in the game already or .psa files

adding bones like a 3 or 5 arms would make this method not so easy, would be better to start from scratch - mind you.... if anyone is going to make a project that isnt in huminoid form, there would be so much work cut out post-MAX.

its unlikley we would see anything from a non-funded modding community that isnt huminoid for this reason- so i cant see why this script might not be used by somebody to aid a re-animation process

getting the weights/envelopes right is prolly one of the harder challenges, especially from a one piece organic mesh and there certainly is no script for that

i think cleodj has shown us a very different way of working when it comes to making a biped system and animating and importing models already enveloped, its certainly not the standard way of working, but still might be suited to some

any script that takes the pain out of making a biped system if you so require one is welcome in my eyes

Last edited:
Upvote 0
exacly, and I think thats were our communications problem came from. Not a problem though, we can still use this knowledge and script. Everything on this unreal rigging is very usefull during the model creation phase. Hell, im still getting use to it...and I knock my head against the wall now and then. No idea where we would be without Braindead.... he's provided us with so much information on the creation of these models and were to look for when we got stuck.

We love you man. lol ;)

Upvote 0
exacly, and I think thats were our communications problem came from.

Yes. Most people work in the standard way, infact most people dont even re-animate or add animations.

So if anyone decides to adopt a non standard way of working, be prepared for confusion when asking people who do for help; when they work in the standard way

finding animators in modding communities is usually a rare find

thats why i personally keep hemi drugged up enough so he cant leave his chamber - its a little bit like that film misery, ive smashed his legs up and everything

Last edited:
Upvote 0