• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Explanation of the recoil difference between RO1 and RO2

Ossius

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 9, 2011
So after many topics and discussion talking about Zoom, Recoil, SMGs being too accurate and unfair, weapon sway, and how RO1 is the Holiest of Holy games I finally decided to look as to why the games were so drastically different.

First thing I noticed was the complete lack of zoom in RO1, when you click aim down sight there is absolutely no difference between the standing with the gun at the hip or aiming. RO2 implements a default zoom that was requested considerably by the community IE Darkest Hour fans.

Second thing and the most important was the fact that free aim doesn't exist in RO1 ironsights. The gun is nailed square to the center of the screen. What does this mean? It means every shot fired in RO1 spikes the screen upwards and recoil is apparent. Every twitch of the gun effects your vision. When you fire say a PPSH or MP40 in RO1, this violent screen shake combined with the lack of a standard zoom, it makes aiming at a target and seeing other targets difficult.
In RO2 however, TWI implemented the free aim into Ironsights aiming, this allows you to have probably the most realistic ironsights aiming I've seen in a video game. The screen is not nailed down to the center and you have the ability to sweep your weapon back and forth while aiming down sights. What does this mean? It means when you fire your gun, say a MP40 or PPSH again, your weapon will still spike upwards and shake (from my quick 15 minute research the recoil appeared near the same) and act as they did in RO1. The difference here of course is that your screen is not bound to the weapon as tightly as before so the weapon jerks more independently of your vision. It is difficult to aim down the weapon sights, but there is a buffer "Cone" of fire that allows you to control the weapon without changing camera view as much until you hit the edge of that cone, than you will start climbing again. This video I found might showcase it better than I can explain.

Note: this is before the GOTY edition changes so recoils might have changed since.
Red Orchestra Recoil Test: PPSh-41 - YouTube

I even tried firing a bolt action and it seems the recoil is exactly the same as it was in RO1, but the screen isn't effected so much, the gun still spikes as it did in the previous game.
This also shows in weapon sway, while standing your weapon sways, but your screen doesn't, this makes it incredibly easy to make corrections. Believe it or not Action mode probably has more true to RO1 weapon behaviors since free aim is disabled.

In conclusion: You simply can't have weapons like RO1, because the game mechanics don't allow for it anymore, the game engine changed.

I don't think you've demonstrated that you can't have SMGs like you could in RO1. All you'd have to do is increase the recoil for the SMGs and it would be the same thing but with iron sights freeaim.

I vastly prefer the current level of recoil in RO2 and the additional realistic ease and fluidity of handling given by the iron sights freeaim, I should say.

Upvote 0
wow, thats a huge zoom you have there. Never noticed it was that big. damn :/

Protip, if you want to see RO1 no zoom in classic mode, Hold down shift when you click right click for ironsights. It will disable the default zoom. (Also impossible to aim with over long distances)

I don't think you've demonstrated that you can't have SMGs like you could in RO1. All you'd have to do is increase the recoil for the SMGs and it would be the same thing but with iron sights freeaim.

I vastly prefer the current level of recoil in RO2 and the additional realistic ease and fluidity of handling given by the iron sights freeaim, I should say.

If you increased recoil it'd just make the gun bounce around more, it wouldn't shake your screen like in ROOST, that was my point.

Last edited:
Upvote 0