• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Expanding the Beta testing...

Let me tell you, the LAST thing I had in mind this morning is whether there were any beta keys available. Lo and behold, there was Wilsonam's post. I almost didn't reply, but decided to since there were only 2 posts. If I had waited any longer at all...

You know, having worked as a beta tester in the QA department of a major game publisher made me hesitate. But Tripwire isn't paying me, which means this isn't my JOB, it's something I'm doing because I WANT to do it. All the difference in the world.

Upvote 0
Oleg said:
Making the *serious* stuff like beta test into some sort of ultra lame Internet lottery is, well, lame. And this whole project is being lead by some sites I, quite frankly, have never even heard about untill today (it's not like this "beta lottery" is run on Gamespot or somesuch, so that it can be explained as smart pseudo-makreting move). It's just lame.

"N00bs" do not matter as such - as in "RO n00bs" but since whole thing is just a lottery obviously they will also get "beta test n00bs" ie bunch of guys who know nothing about how the serious, proper beta test is run, perhaps even guys who know nothing of RO as such (just signed cause they had nothing better to do. Would you want them as betas? It is quite obvious most posters here see the whole idea as just the opportunity to play the game before others, and brag around in front of their online friends (which, in itself, is understandable, but has *zero* to do with "beta testing" which is serious business). :cool:

So this is sure to make both veterans and n00bs (such as myself) not pleased. Veterans have every right to assume they should be IN, instead of some n00b who won the lottery.

But that's just my opinion, totally insignificant as it might be. More serious issue is that they talk about beta testing and "stress testing the servers" like couple weeks before the game is about to be released. I also noted (though I may be wrong) beta subforum on this site was opened like a week or so ago. What they were doing by now? March is already there, I have 1,8 GIG of RO stuff on my disk, serious beta testing should have been over loooong ago by now, leaving last couple weeks just for minor polishing.

Strange move, and that's all, now lets carry on as if nothing happened :D

O.

So are all 'RO n00bs' incapable of sensible testing? Get a grip you knob.

I am personally a Quality Systems Manager for a global pharmaceutical business and I manage the validation and testing of computerised systems, including ERP systems that control the business processes of 54 manufacturing sites around the world. I have probably done more CSV (computerised systems validation) than most of the developers working for these games manufacturers.

To tar everyone with the same brush as you have just done is pathetic. Live in the real world rather than your 'pseudo-gaming' life.

The policy of offering beta test keys in this format is unusual but not one that detrimentally affects the development of the game I suspect. It is offering people an opportunity to get early access to the game and raising interest from old-school and n00b users. This can only be good.

I have been playing this genre of game for years... just because I've not played the RO mod, doesn't mean I am incapable of testing. Your stereotyping is ridiculous and un-called for.

Upvote 0
Scoobz said:
So are all 'RO n00bs' incapable of sensible testing? Get a grip you knob.

I am personally a Quality Systems Manager for a global pharmaceutical business and I manage the validation and testing of computerised systems, including ERP systems that control the business processes of 54 manufacturing sites around the world. I have probably done more CSV (computerised systems validation) than most of the developers working for these games manufacturers.

To tar everyone with the same brush as you have just done is pathetic. Live in the real world rather than your 'pseudo-gaming' life.

The policy of offering beta test keys in this format is unusual but not one that detrimentally affects the development of the game I suspect. It is offering people an opportunity to get early access to the game and raising interest from old-school and n00b users. This can only be good.

I have been playing this genre of game for years... just because I've not played the RO mod, doesn't mean I am incapable of testing. Your stereotyping is ridiculous and un-called for.

No , the thing is, people who have been loyal to RO since 1.0 back when there was only 1-2 servers up and got RO its reputation get pushed aside by CS:S players and other RO "n00bs" who wouldn't know how to compare RO:O to the mod even if it hit them in the face.
Frankly, i don't care if you're a quality systems manager or anything of it's type, because i think the people who got RO where it is now ( ie producing betas of their soon to come out retail version) don't get to test. Now i am not one of these people who have played since 1.0 and i am not at all bothered about beta testing but i know many, good people who deserve the beta key because of what they have done for RO. The keys should have been carefully, well thought out to whom they were to be given to not thrown out in a lottery.

Upvote 0
If you really want to 'stress test' a piece of software as a final piece in the development pathway... Give it to 'n00bss'... It is widely accepted by software validators that this practice tends to show up those 'glitches' that no one else could reproduce.

I understand the frustrations of some who feel they are being let down by not getting early access... Shame... Boo Hoo... Get over it.
What I find frustrating is the attitudes that those 'selfish' people are presenting. Customers are customers... Some are good customers, some are bad... If you constantly sell a product to the same customers over and over again (the 'hardcore') then your product will never develop and reinvention is impossible as there isn't enough diversity in the demand.

I personally don't believe this final stage of testing was something best to open to 'public lottery' as some have named it... But since it has been done, I dislike the belittling comments of some who suggest that 'n00bs' don't have a right to have access.

As for 'piracy'... !! That annoys me too.. !! Especially when these products via Steam are so fairly priced (in comparison to many boxed titles).

Upvote 0
Scoobz said:

So what? Dude, this is so NOT about you.

This whole beta "lottery", "send us a nice begging mail and we'll see", "lets see poor suckers fight over coupla keys" affair is just pathetic. N00bs, veterans, doesn't matter.

Just my opinion.

O.

Upvote 0
Actually, it's a pretty decent way to get a very broad cross-spectrum sampling of testers. You don't necessarily want every tester to be someone who's intimately familiar with the mod. In fact, doing so can actually be counterproductive. People who already know how the game works have a hard time thinking outside the box. Someone who doesn't know how the game works won't hesitate to try something an experienced player wouldn't try because he already knows it won't work. And that's exactly how major bugs get missed.

I only got into the beta today, and only got online with it this evening. The last time I played RO was on UT2k3, and not for long even then. So I'm coming in pretty much blind and learning as I go. On the other hand, I *am* an experienced beta- and quality assurance tester for PC games.

Be that as it may, all I'll say about RO:O after playing the beta is this:

Trust me, it's well worth the wait.

Upvote 0