• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Expanding the Beta testing...

[CoFR]BooBoo said:
Actually, it's a pretty decent way to get a very broad cross-spectrum sampling of testers. You don't necessarily want every tester to be someone who's intimately familiar with the mod. In fact, doing so can actually be counterproductive. People who already know how the game works have a hard time thinking outside the box. Someone who doesn't know how the game works won't hesitate to try something an experienced player wouldn't try because he already knows it won't work. And that's exactly how major bugs get missed.

I only got into the beta today, and only got online with it this evening. The last time I played RO was on UT2k3, and not for long even then. So I'm coming in pretty much blind and learning as I go. On the other hand, I *am* an experienced beta- and quality assurance tester for PC games.

Be that as it may, all I'll say about RO:O after playing the beta is this:

Trust me, it's well worth the wait.

This is exactly what I put in my subsequent post, but evidently Oleg didn't read that one too.

I think the process of 'lottery' is always going to cause issues and annoyance for 'some'.... I neither agree or disagree with the choice of doing so.... I disagree with the comments that some have made suggesting 'n00bs' are not as 'worthy' to receive access to beta test. That is the aspect that annoys me. The arrogance of some people to believe that just because they have played a game (Mod) for some time means they are any better than others... They aren't.

We use 'end-users' as part of beta testing (where suitable), they offer a 'randomness' that you often don't get from experienced users.

Upvote 0
Scoobz said:
This is exactly what I put in my subsequent post, but evidently Oleg didn't read that one too.

I think the process of 'lottery' is always going to cause issues and annoyance for 'some'.... I neither agree or disagree with the choice of doing so.... I disagree with the comments that some have made suggesting 'n00bs' are not as 'worthy' to receive access to beta test. That is the aspect that annoys me. The arrogance of some people to believe that just because they have played a game (Mod) for some time means they are any better than others... They aren't.

We use 'end-users' as part of beta testing (where suitable), they offer a 'randomness' that you often don't get from experienced users.

N00bs are worthy testers, of course, if picked and *handled* professionally, as I believe you do for your pharmaceutical stuff or whatever it is you do :p

I am RO n00b myself (n00best of the n00bs), so I definitely mean no disrespect for n00bs.

But this whole affair is just humiliating, pathetic and ridicolous. Just look at this board lately. It definitely lowered my personal opinion of the devs. BTW, no one will discuss it, but what do you think how many of those left behind by the "lottery" started their P2P clients and... you fill in the rest? Guys who wouldn't do it otherwise, but now hearing pseudo-betas boast around getting on everyone's nerves... :p

Case closed for all I care. When the game is out I'll buy it, as I planned all along, but this affair unnecesarily stained the devs and the game IMO.

O.

Upvote 0
Oleg, My comments of displease with the 'attitude' were not aimed at you, but at some posters earlier in the thread who suggested that n00bs were not 'worthy' of being beta test subjects.

I agree with your comments... The process has caused disquiet amongst the ranks....

I just hope the finished game is speeded through to market asap.... I have personally pre-ordered and pre-loaded via Steam, so I'm just waiting for that status to change so I can get sniping some of those Nazis.

I work for a German-based pharma company, so I can't say too many things about "Zee Germans" though.... heheh

Upvote 0
n00bs are perfectly worthy of testing. People who have no idea what to do in a game are normally the ones who break it the best. Veterans who have played since the beginning will play it properly and probably won't find as many problems.

Oleg: I've been core testing this game since September last year. The core tester team is at least 60 strong. There has been a SERIOUS steam beta team (of around 200 + the core testers and devs) since the start of february. Like the devs have stated, this is PURELY for server loading, not to do with bugs. We (the core testers) handle that side of things.

-=KnIfE=-

Upvote 0
-=KnIfE=- said:
n00bs are perfectly worthy of testing. People who have no idea what to do in a game are normally the ones who break it the best. Veterans who have played since the beginning will play it properly and probably won't find as many problems.

Oleg: I've been core testing this game since September last year. The core tester team is at least 60 strong. There has been a SERIOUS steam beta team (of around 200 + the core testers and devs) since the start of february. Like the devs have stated, this is PURELY for server loading, not to do with bugs. We (the core testers) handle that side of things.

-=KnIfE=-

I should get some of our 'end-users' to do some testing for you.... Some of them have an uncanny nack of breaking everything they touch (IT-wise)... heheh

As a 'core tester'... Any hints whether the game will be on target for proposed release... ?? Note, I aren't asking for a date, just whether you think it will hit its presently proposed target launch.. !?!

Upvote 0