• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Exiting Tanks

MEGADETHTHRETH

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 24, 2009
I have seen a lot of chats in the beta which go like this;

Person 1: "How do I exit a tank?"
Person 2: "You can't"
Person 1: "That sucks"
Person 2: "I know"

I have seen people in chat not liking the way you can't exit tanks.

I think it would be better if you could exit the tank even if there was a few seconds delay, it would add more freedom, even if you could only exit when on fire, track damaged or engine damaged, it would still be better than nothing.:cool:

Last edited:
Yeah, the current scuttle option is no good. What is the point of trying to escape your tank if your basically just committing suicide?

I imagine the option of exiting the tanks has a very very very low chance of being something we might see in the near future. Still, I agree with the quote above. Just from a player morale perspective it would be nice if the exit animation for scuttling the tank was ANYTHING other than a third person shot of the tank blowing up. That animation dosen't make it feel like you are abandoning and rigging the tank, it makes it feel like you are pressing a self destruct button and blowing yourself up. Its just sort of disheartening.

Upvote 0
Just to be honest, you are more useful for your team when you wait 20 seconds to respawn with a new tank than ramboing around with a pistol wasting the entire class slot.

Only reason why I would like to see this is to kill the AT-soldier near your tank. An MP-40 for the commander would do just fine. Fighting infantry from the commander hatch.

Upvote 0
i think exiting the tank should be in the game but instead of climbing out after the tank gets hit and is on fire or something you should only have to press F and then an animation would start you climbing out of the burning/damaged tank and rolling of the side. after that you can move freely again if you havent been shot yet!
imagine something like this: Battle for Cologne - tank duel - YouTube

Upvote 0
It's worrying that the number one thing people seem to want to do when selecting 'tank crewman' is to exit the tank.

If you want to go on foot, then select the infantry class, If you want to be in a tank, then select the tank crewman class and stay in the tank till the end. You might as well stay in it till the end and go down fighting, why is everyone so eager to abandon it and run?

Upvote 0
It's worrying that the number one thing people seem to want to do when selecting 'tank crewman' is to exit the tank.

If you want to go on foot, then select the infantry class, If you want to be in a tank, then select the tank crewman class and stay in the tank till the end. You might as well stay in it till the end and go down fighting, why is everyone so eager to abandon it and run?

Agree. One thing I disliked about RO was people picking the tank commander class to get an SMG and then going off with the infantry.

The current solution is inelegant, but optimal for gameplay. A cutaway scene of the surviving crew jumping out of the tank and running off would be preferable to just blowing up, but I doubt we'll see something like that.

Upvote 0
Agree. One thing I disliked about RO was people picking the tank commander class to get an SMG and then going off with the infantry.
You are mistaken...tankcommanders can call artillery too. And posess more cappower than regulars...so in certain situations it makes sense for the tankie to go awol and beign on foot. Thats a tactical decision. Like on good ole leningrad *edith, or hedgehog or black day july *..or any other capheavy map..having the tankcomander ( albeit only equiped with pistol so he had so scavange ) in the capzone was a double up insurance if your regular comander was just either bland new or retarded.;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You are mistaken...tankcommanders can call artillery too. And posess more cappower than regulars...so in certain situations it makes sense for the tankie to go awol and beign on foot. Thats a tactical decision. Like on good ole leningrad *edith, or hedgehog or black day july *..or any other capheavy map..having the tankcomander ( albeit only equiped with pistol so he had so scavange ) in the capzone was a double up insurance if your regular comander was just either bland new or retarded.;)

Yeah, because obviously in WW2, capping was of the utmost importance and commanders had a lot more cappower. It's the way God coded it for the simulation.

Upvote 0
People who think exiting the tank is a good idea are morons and haven't played RO 1 for sure. They are tank crewman for a reason! they are supposed to be in F tank and do their job, not running around without purpose with a pistol. We have infantry for that!. If a tank is going to explode then deal with it, you die you re spawn in another tank and fight in it! cos that's your job, we need tank support not tank crewman's with pistols running around in battlefield pretending they are commandos. Enough sad, and yes it's not going to change so deal with it. :IS2:

Upvote 0
Getting out to scout a ridge is doing your job better as you don't lose your tank and you know where their tanks are without risking your own.

Also if my tank is about to get hit and i know i'm out matched i generally Leroy Jenkins it to a Control point (once i cleared a CP of about 10 people using a Luger) and usually by the time i die a painful death my tank has just about re spawned.

Upvote 0
You could actually do a mutator.

Spawn on tank when scuttling. So tank has a spawn point usable for crew only.

Could be pretty cool if graphically represented.

The k doing a force respawn on crew members.

The bots a bit more difficult. Run to tank spawn using cover and self destruct once reaching it? Preferrably without negative team points if they manage that.

=============

Immediately however, I think use of k should give negative points for loss of tank, not loss of player.

A question of renaming really. IF k, then -2 team points for scuttled tank, not for suicide.

The idea of scuttling is to run away and live to fight another day. - 2 points for suicide sort of defeats that feeling.

Upvote 0