• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Everyone hates countdown

Neuromante

Grizzled Veteran
May 25, 2006
Seriously, no one plays it. And I can see why: It's terribly unbalanced in favour of the attackers. Defenders more often than not find themselves rushing for the objective as much as the attackers do, with the difference they get no more reinforcements than the first wave. This aside the gamemode feels like a poor copy of CoD's S&D instead of a more tactical approach to the game, as I believe it was intended originally.

For some reason some do enjoy, but it's not my cup of tea. How the hell are you the "defender" when half the time the enemy gets into the area you are "defending" before YOU do??? Many times, as a defender, you run 4 or 5 steps from spawn and are instantly shot by an attacker from your own so-called defensive zone.

Not to mention the boredom in between spawns. Ohhh, the boredom!

Upvote 0
It's just poorly worked out. Due to a number of reasons:

1. Poor spawns, you can be spawnkilled incredibly easily, often within the first 2 seconds of spawning. This makes Countdown extremely frustrating and there's no control over the pace you want to play it at.

2. There's no preperation time, countdown is all about tactics. Yet in Public servers you hardly have time to even agree on some tactics before you're all forced to rush.

3. Defenders get such little time to setup that every map is more of an attack/attack than attack/defense.

Upvote 0
Some maps are extremely well suited for it, others not so.

There should be a little longer default delay for the initial ready-up and role selection, but other than that, the biggest complaint I hear about countdown is from those that don't like to not be a part of the action for 2 minutes or less. Same could be said for S&D but it remains popular. CD could use a few tweaks on a few maps, but we've had some great battles on the few CD maps included in our map cylces on our larger mixed gametype servers. (Well, they were great for those that stuck around and for those that joined when those slots were available.)

And we do have a 24/7 realism countdown server. This particular server of ours is unranked at the moment, but we don't really care about stats so its no biggie for us....

[50pc.] Battle Hardened Countdown Only - realism
207.210.252.146:8080

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think countdown is pretty good, especially for smaller-scale games. It has a tendency to suck a bit in public play, though, what with there being a high chance that you're playing with people who just refuse to work towards the objectives. While it's also true for territory, it seems to be more prevalent in countdown. However, my main peeve is that a countdown map feels so very "attack/attack" rather than "attack/defend", I believe it should be something a little bit more like TF2, where defenders have time to set up - they certainly would have set up already to a degree in real warfare, so if they don't get extra time, they should at least spawn much closer to the objective, if not on it. That's it, really.

"Everyone hates lockdown"

Fix'd

I don't. I don't want to have to defend for like half an hour and e.g. see good defenders leave due to RL issues and cost us the game when in all fairness, we should have won there and then.

When I'm attacking, the fact that we hit lockdown shows that me and the team have buggered up and we have room for improvement as attackers. We may have come up with a good idea to finally cap the point in question, but it's just too damned late, well, poop! Serves us right for not organizing ourselves better. It's really important to attack with SPEED, and lockdown makes this happen, rather than a two-way turkey shoot in an attempt to whittle down each other's reinforcements, which should only be reserved for attack/attack maps, which they are.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Is there a problem making it ranked? Just curious.
Well, it is supposed to be ranked, but there are issues with that we're working on. As the stats are currently borked anyway, being ranked/unranked is pretty well a moot point. Unless the database is correct and its only the implementation of getting it out to the clients, then I can't see how they (ie everyone's stats) won't get reset when fixed.

So don't not play on an unranked server. The problem is being worked on but just know that there are quite a few with similar problems. You may be missing out on a great low ping server in your area.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Countdown can be the best and the worst gametype depending on the map and on the players. Spartanovka is the best map for countdown IMHO, and with good players it's really fun.
I've had some truly epic battles in Barracks as well. Even on our full 52 man server. I believe we converted a few naysayers that evening.

Upvote 0