• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Every game but source/goldsource lags!

SnotRocket

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2005
Georgia
Hey I thought I'd post in here due to a strange problem I've been having at college.

EVERY multiplayer game I own lags too much to be played at college, with the exception of Source and Goldsource engine games (I've tested CS, CS:S, DoD, DoD:S, and PVKII).

Now another thing that is strange is that even the source and goldsource lag UNLESS I am running my own firewall. I'll get like 7 servers in DoD:S, and then I enable the firewall and get +200.

I think this topic would be better off in either the troubleshooting section or the gaming section.

But as for what your experiencing, it doesn't make any sence to me, but I'm sure someone in the technical area of the forums may know something about it.

(That was quick, moved right after I posted, good job moderators! :))

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Now another thing that is strange is that even the source and goldsource lag UNLESS I am running my own firewall. I'll get like 7 servers in DoD:S, and then I enable the firewall and get +200.
Perhaps alot of external IP are listening and sending ICMP requests (ping, tracing, domain check, etc)

This often happens when you used IRC for a long time.

I have the same problem.

The firewall blocks those ports/protocols and then you have all bandwidth on that specific channel you need for gaming.

Upvote 0