• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Sport] Euro 2012

Can't get over the brilliance of those two goals. The way the ball's been passed inside the box for the first one and Lahm caught with his pants down for the second. Just... wow.

I'm also sad to read that the Neptune fountain here in Gdańsk was damaged during all the post-match celebrations... after it had been renovated and put back in place just in April, at a cost of some 370k Euro. Now they're going to have to renovate it again.
I get celebrating and being joyous, but climbing up historical monuments, pissing on them, vomiting all over is a notch too far for me. I'm also angry at the indolence and permissiveness of the police. No reaction at all, but fast-forward to after the cup (or rewind to before it) and they'll come down on you in groups of 20 for drinking a beer in public. I think we were too hospitable as far as this went.

Upvote 0
Wasn't the guy crying on the manager's shoulder the one who'd been the one to walk off the pitch after just a few minutes of play?

Yeah, felt terrible for Italy. Sad to see those players tear-eyed and so beaten, but there was no question — Spain's scoring passes were absolute perfection the likes of which you don't see every day. A really outstanding game for them.

Upvote 0
I thought that Spain at least were actually keeping hold of the ball to attack it this time, instead of just keeping it not to lose.

Terrible shame about the injuries to the Italian squad, as soon as Tiago Motta went off they had no chance - which is a shame because they'd started the second half quite brightly and it looked like we were going to get more of a game out of it.

Upvote 0

but you didn't fix my spelling error.

Of course the spanish aren't frustrating, but this is what is being banded about, including even on here going back to the WC 2010 thread.

They must have been surprised - and felt insulted - when confronted with the boring tag just before the final.
Forgetting their 3 major honours on the spin, the fans must be delighted with the way they keep possesion with accurate passing and brilliant movement from every player in the squad reagrdless of position - and importantly how eager they are to win possession back.

And the spanish fans know it's this kind of possesion football that has made them so hard to beat, and they wouldn't change it for anything.
Do we want our champions to be like greece 2004?

I can't remember any national team coming close to this kind of team football, even the much skilled Brasil team of '82.
Ppl talk of the dutch total football of the early 70s but I think spain are much better,
In any case neither of these 2 sides were winners.

Regarding thier tendancy to over-pass in midfield (averaging over 60% possesion better than anyone) and lack of striking (most goals per game 2nd highest attempts) - remember Torres is out of form and hasn't been starting, and their other out and out striker - their record scorer the very direct (and somewhat selfish) David Villa did not play.

Another big absence, the talismatic and dynamic defender Carlos Puyol makes their achievment all the more remarkable -
I think ppl should be enjoying what is clearly one of the greatest national sides they will ever see, playing the best football.

Upvote 0