• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] EU trying to regulate on your GPU

Last edited:
Upvote 0
On detail note the current Nvidia and Ati high end cards already are in accordance to the rule being instated. Since as you state its regarding computers in idle.

Cars need catalysators in their exhaust system, and computer chips need to made lead free, the government has been making rules based on environment related things forever. Tbh regulating the idle power draw is to me a logical suggestion especially since TV's have had rules regarding power usage for quite a bit now.

Beside that there are parts in there excluding computers from the rule like:

1.1.3. Category D desktop computers and integrated desktop
computers meeting all of the following technical parameters are
exempt from the requirements specified in points 1.1.1 and
1.1.2:
(a) a minimum of six physical cores in the central processing
unit (CPU); and
(b) discrete GPU(s) providing total frame buffer bandwidths
above 320 GB/s; and
(c) a minimum 16GB of system memory; and
(d) a PSU with a rated output power of at least 1000 W.

In a few years that wont be special anymore.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Beside that there are parts in there excluding computers from the rule like:

1.1.3. Category D desktop computers and integrated desktop
computers meeting all of the following technical parameters are
exempt from the requirements specified in points 1.1.1 and
1.1.2:
(a) a minimum of six physical cores in the central processing
unit (CPU); and
(b) discrete GPU(s) providing total frame buffer bandwidths
above 320 GB/s; and
(c) a minimum 16GB of system memory; and
(d) a PSU with a rated output power of at least 1000 W.

In a few years that wont be special anymore.

I don't think it will be common with a 1000 W PSU in a few years. The power consumption of desktop computers has been standing still for the last couple of years and will keep still for years to come. This because the current limitation for how much power you can put into a system depends on how effective we can remove the heat.

Upvote 0
I don't think it will be common with a 1000 W PSU in a few years. The power consumption of desktop computers has been standing still for the last couple of years and will keep still for years to come. This because the current limitation for how much power you can put into a system depends on how effective we can remove the heat.

With relatively cheap water cooling systems, that may not be an issue. I just put in a low end Khuler 860, and saw a 35 degree C drop my my temps under high load conditions.

Upvote 0

The thing is with that exclusion they will still be able to sell their high end graphics cards. The only party it could then effect would be prebuilt pc's but in general i think the majority of the high end videocard market is retail sales and inclusion into prebuilt systems.

But as said the rule regards idle usage which is already quite low in the latest nvidia and ati models as they simply underclock when not being stressed.

Upvote 0