• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Epic troll moments in history

LemoN

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 26, 2006
Prussotroll's Bridge
Well, I thought I'd open up a thread covering some epic troll stories written down in history.

Spanish army trolling themselves.... and their allies!

This one happened on the evening before the battle of Talavera in 1809.
During the evening of 27th, French Dragoon squadrons were trotting close to the Spanish position firing their pistols at Spanish skirmishers. Suddenly, without orders, Cuesta's entire Spanish line fired a thunderous volley at the French Dragoons. The French were outside the range of the Spanish muskets, and little harm was done to them. Four Spanish battalions threw down their weapons and fled in panic. "Nearly 2,000 ran off on the evening of the 27th...(not 100 yards from where I was standing) who were neither attacked, nor threatened with an attack, and who were frightened by the noise of their own fire; they left their arms and accoutrements on the ground, their officers went with them, and they... plundered the baggage of the British army which had been sent to the rear"

A true troll gun:
Puckle demonstrated two versions of the basic design: one, intended for use against Christian enemies, fired conventional round bullets, while the second variant, designed to be used against the Muslim Turks, fired square bullets, which were considered to be more damaging and would, according to the patent, convince the Turks of the "benefits of Christian civilization."

Last edited:
A true troll gun:

That would be like calling using dum-dum bullets "trolling"... lame trolling :rolleyes:

Now a real troll would be something like this: annexing the country you were born in and whose citizenship you have renounced, after being made chancellor of another country. Now thats a damned good trolling :p

Upvote 0
Mathias Rust (born July 1968 in Wedel, Schleswig-Holstein, West Germany) is a German man known for his illegal landing near Red Square in Moscow in 1987. As an amateur aviator, he flew from Finland to Moscow, being tracked several times by Soviet air defence and interceptors. The Soviet fighters never received permission to shoot him down, and several times he was mistaken for a friendly aircraft. He landed on Vasilevski Spusk next to Red Square near the Kremlin in the capital of the USSR.

300px-MRust.jpg

Upvote 0
I don't have a quote for mine (but I know it to be true :eek:), and I'm not sure if its trolling or a valid tactic, but I found this amusing:

Tamerlane, during his long war with the Ottomans, at one point found himself cut off due to a betrayal of an allied Anatolian city and soon had an Ottoman army in between him and his borders. He was atop a plateu with a force of only cavalry, and knew he was outnumbered by the Ottoman force. The Ottomans, however, had no clue what the opposing force was, and was preparing a defense against unknown hordes. Tamerlane then took a gamble...and ordered his men to gather large amounts of spiny desert shrub. They then got in a massive line, with shrubs tied to their horse's tails, and backed up to the back of the plateu. They then charged across the sandy plateu and down the hill into the desert plain. But what the Ottomans saw was a huge line of cavalry followed by a dust cloud soaring into the air. Tamerlane then led his cavalry into the routing Ottoman army wearing a bloodsoaked trollface.

Also, it is worth noting that Tamerlane was known for being very much a sadistic but trollish conqueror to those that resisted. For example, a captured Ottoman sultan commited suicide upon being paraded in a large bird cage filled with feathers. Also, there are reports of a certain agricultural city being plowed over after resisting, as to leave a massive wheat feild in its ruins...which was a very odd sight for merchants coming to trade.

Does that count as trolling, or is more clear trolling required?

Reactions: NoxNoctum and LemoN
Upvote 0
I can't remember the damn name of the guy, but an American businessman during the Prohibition had his own men in disguise carjack *his own trucks* carrying alcohol for "medicinal purposes" (was sold at Walgreens :D) so that he could then sell that legally made alcohol to the much more profitable black market.

Upvote 0