• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Enhanced Squad Leader Functions

Enhanced Squad Leader Functions

• Yes

Votes: 10 66.7%
  • No (please explain why)

Votes: 5 33.3%

• Total voters

BSE|Vietcong

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 31, 2006
Germany
Please read this through carefully and don't just vote.

Why?
In the last few days I tried to play as Squad Leader sometimes and often people did not want to hear my commands and simply did what they wanted, which lead to 0% reinforcements and we lost. This happens on Stalingrad a lot, when the Germans want to recapture objectives, even if there are only some minutes left and our reinforcements are really low.
So I had an idea about how you could make the Squad Leader more of a Leader and not just a normal soldier with a pistol and binoculars.

The Idea:
The Squad Leader should be able to command his troop using the map. He can give the key units orders where to go and what to cover.
Like this there will be less situations where some objectives are totally unguarded while others are full of troops, sometimes positioned stupidly, or important units like the tank on hedgehog driving around everywhere but where they are needed.

How it could work:
When the Leader opens his map, he can use the mouse to give troops commands. I made a screenshot and added a possible interface for this idea in Photoshop:
[URL=http://img81.imageshack.us/my.php?image=leaderhedgehogph6.jpg][/URL]

As you can see, he can click on one of the buttons on the right, and then move the mouse to the position where he wants the unit. Then he presses the mouse and sets the direction in which the unit should look (where the arrow points at).
When he has set the direction, the arrow is fixed and this unit will get a text on the screen "NEW COMMANDS, CHECK MAP", in the size of the reinforcements-messages. When he looks on his map, he sees the arrow the Leader has positioned (not the others) and can move there.

If the unit complains about the position, because he has a bad field of view or there are no enemies, the Leader can put the arrow somewhere else (drag and drop) or put it in the trash (bottom right), which means the unit can go where he thinks he is in his opinion best positioned.

The commander can also mark some places as "no-go-areas", where no unit should waste their lives (like an objective that can't be captured back or one that is too heavily defended and would result in an unnecessary loss of lives). For example the Eastern Farmhouse in this situation.
On the other hand, he can mark areas where his other troops should concentrate and priority targets (!-mark).

This should prevent that units stride around somewhere while important objectives are captured.

The zones can be selected and moved and also they can be put in the bucket, if not needed anymore.

Where is this usefull?
On some maps it isn't. Like Basovka for Germans, because they can barely use tactics. However the Russians could use it to organize their defense.
It would be really usefull on maps like StalingradKessel. Here people too often are too offensive and throw away the important reinforcements or the MGs are positioned bad while they would be usefull somewhere else (for example overlooking the north railyard).

I think with this system, you could have a squad that sticks together better and is better organized and more effective. The Squad Leader would actually have something important to do.
Of course, you cannot force the players to do what he says, but I think that some or most of the players would do so, especially if they are informed about map-updates with big white letters.

It doesn't have to look exactly like this, I'm not too good at designing stuff ;)

Honest Opinions please. And if you agree a bit, write what you would change/ do differently.

I think this is a terrible idea, in concept it sounds like a great plan. But do you really think that people would follow your orders, I can tell you for one that I would not. It just does not make any sense to give one player so much power, for this game it does not make sense. Also if such a system is implemented the role would become vital for teams to use, especially if the other team was organised well. And then you run into the problem that most people who play this game are terrible at it, so you are almost garunteed to have some nub ruining it. Yeah bad idea.

Upvote 0
i think its a good idea actually, on tactical servers where people play as a team this would be accepted, if the commander is a good tactician and leader then im sure players will have no problem following his orders. if some people dont, then ya kick em, because im sure that the waiting list to enter servers wich use this feature will be extremely long!

maybe there should be a commander for each team, who isnt actually on the terrain but has an "above view" or spectator view and can in concentrate full-time in giving orders and change tactics as the situation evolves

Upvote 0
Yeah,nice idea in theory. In practice it has one major flaw:

In the field, leaders are persons promoted for their experience/tactical ability/ leadership qualities or are generally qualified for the role they assume. In addition they are privy to intelligence/battlefield reports and usually have orders which give them insight as to strategic requirements.

In the game, the leader is the class most likely to be grabbed by some n00b who hasn't got a clue about how to use artillery properly, read his map or even what the objectives are.

So why would any experienced player who knows what he should be doing and how to move tactically in support of teammates listen to a bloody word of it?

In addition, all the information needed is already on the map and it is people who don't know how to use it or don't care anyway that persist in attacking the western farmhouse on Hedgehog when it's already gone.

Upvote 0
I actually came up with a somewhat similar idea a while ago. My plan was that the commander could put simplified waypoints on the map (when a unit follows them he recieves points) and he can also choose areas to defend and areas to attack and hold (being within these areas earns you bonus points as well, and being within the defense area will accumulate points over time)

Upvote 0
I dont think how it could hurt to have a noob commander more than it already does, a noob commander can tk the team with artillery, or blind his own team with smoke, what would he do if he have the option to give orders and draw areas in the map?, I mean, if you dont want to follow the orders noone forces you.

but for the chance to play with a good commander its worth to try. This is a videogame, nothing happens to you if you loose, its all about having fun fighting

Upvote 0
Squad leaders can already issue "orders" such as "Attack X" or "Defend X" or "Follow Me", "Fall Back", etc.

I think that's good enough as far as orders go, unless you want to create a BF2 style point system where you give people orders and they get points for following them. That'd be pretty complex to code, though.

I'd rather we see a lot more suppressive effects in the game, and have the squad leader's presence reduce those effects. This'd simulate morale, including a major DROP in morale if the squad leader gets killed in front of you. But even this idea I'd suggest as only a mutator/option, not as a forced change to gameplay across the board.

Upvote 0
I would not like a bonus for those that follow the orders, because if there is an idiot commanding, you would get points for doing stupid things/ styling in stupid positions.

However I think that if there is a noob in the leader's position, the players can convince him to choose another class or he can be forced to do so by admins.

If this doesn't work with some leaders or players, then it will be as it is now. If it works and most of the team playes their part, it will improve gameplay a lot.

If you use the voice commands, few people know that they come from the squad leader and if you call "Retreat", the average idiot just yells back "Komm sofort zur

Upvote 0
I like the idea as it gives some visual feedback to what you are supposed to do - according to the team leader. Voice commands tend to be ignored very often according to the experience I had.
Maybe if it is possible a vote kick leader feature should be introduced as well i.e. the ip is safed and the person can not be leader anymore for a set time.
So that you have the possibility to "disrate" incompetent people if they do not want to leave their "rank" themsevles.

The main advantage imo of such a graphical system is that you can see a lot information at once. No matter when you joined, no matter if you were in a fierce firefight and overheard orders.

Your system is a one way system leader --> inferior, there is no way of graphical "feedback", like you see a tank, you see a squad ...
One of the most important tasks of inferiors is to report whatever might be of importance to the leader. So I think the inferiors should also have the posibility to mark targets that then only the leader sees, while there is a voice command at the same time: You see a tank, mark it on the map and automatically a voice command is started.
The more people report a tank at a similar place (for that a radius should be found) the more trustworthy/important the message gets. So at first there could be a grey circle that gets brighter and brighter.
If the leader middle clicks on a report everyone sees it on his map and can prepare their flank ... better.

This would be similar to the ways you can do it now, looking there the tank is and then typing "tank A4", the difference is that the leader could keep track of the messages easier.

I'm not sure about the way those reports dissapear later, maybe a time setting combined with their importance or simply right clicking on them.

Edit: I'm not sure as well if this would be too much for a leader. Fightning at the same time and keeping track of everything could be too much.

Upvote 0
How about the Squad Leader making an objective cappable? With only one viable objective to give you 10 points - there's your incentive.

The Map would start with all objectives 'uncappable' until the Squad Leader defeines the objective.

Ease of use 9/10
Contribution to Gameplay 7/10
Liable to abuse 10/10

- aw forget it :confused:

Upvote 0