• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Empire Total War

I get a bit confused with all the extra units now, you get the Grand Battery of the Convention when you preorder but will there also be different special edition with even more and different special units? :confused:

EDIT: And if you preorder from play.com you get Lancers :confused:

yeah, pretty much

but at least for me is not worth to pay extra 10€ for some units (and you'll get to play with 3 or 4 at most anyway)... there are full games right now out there that are cheaper than that.

Upvote 0
I'm trying to figure out how Empire calculates kills and casualties.

I just had a fight - Great Britain vs Maratha, attacking Hyderabad - where I took 10x Light Infantry (600 troops) and 10x 24lb Howitzers (180 troops), with some available reinforcements (another 3000 or so) against ~2000 Indians.

I set the Howitzers as the backbone of my force, right at the leading edge of the deployment box, used quicklime shells to sweep the walls clean, and then advanced the light infantry and deployed stakes fairly close to the walls. I brought the howitzers close enough that they could sweep most of the interior of the fortifications - all the way past the flagpole, at least - and just utterly cleansed the insides with quicklime. Targeted clusters of troops, and they smashed utterly. I mean, 4 or 5 regiments together would take 80%+ casualties with one volley from all ten batteries. Battle was over in about 10 minutes or less.

Now here's the weird part. The infantry never got decisively stuck in. There were a few enemy that (stupidly) attempted to escape by coming out the front, and there was a very misguided sally that was crushed before it was totally out of the gate ... but most of the enemy was killed still inside the walls.

At the end of the fight, though, when I look at the list of what units took / inflicted the most casualties ... the artillery units, none of them had more than 40 kills. The light infantry had more kills - about 400 - and the rest of the enemy dead, the other 1200 or so, were spread out between the reinforcements that never got brought up. Hell, the Life Guards (all 6 regiments were in the reinforcements) killed about 20 of them, and took about 25-30 casualties doing it, but they were never even on the field.

WTF?

Upvote 0
I'm trying to figure out how Empire calculates kills and casualties.

I just had a fight - Great Britain vs Maratha, attacking Hyderabad - where I took 10x Light Infantry (600 troops) and 10x 24lb Howitzers (180 troops), with some available reinforcements (another 3000 or so) against ~2000 Indians.

I set the Howitzers as the backbone of my force, right at the leading edge of the deployment box, used quicklime shells to sweep the walls clean, and then advanced the light infantry and deployed stakes fairly close to the walls. I brought the howitzers close enough that they could sweep most of the interior of the fortifications - all the way past the flagpole, at least - and just utterly cleansed the insides with quicklime. Targeted clusters of troops, and they smashed utterly. I mean, 4 or 5 regiments together would take 80%+ casualties with one volley from all ten batteries. Battle was over in about 10 minutes or less.

Now here's the weird part. The infantry never got decisively stuck in. There were a few enemy that (stupidly) attempted to escape by coming out the front, and there was a very misguided sally that was crushed before it was totally out of the gate ... but most of the enemy was killed still inside the walls.

At the end of the fight, though, when I look at the list of what units took / inflicted the most casualties ... the artillery units, none of them had more than 40 kills. The light infantry had more kills - about 400 - and the rest of the enemy dead, the other 1200 or so, were spread out between the reinforcements that never got brought up. Hell, the Life Guards (all 6 regiments were in the reinforcements) killed about 20 of them, and took about 25-30 casualties doing it, but they were never even on the field.

WTF?

all Total war games allways had verry wierd ways to calculate casualties, especially when auto resolving

ever tried to auto resolve a new world battle in Medieval 2 Kingdoms?

you are unbeatable this way as indians, and its impossible to win as conquestadores

Upvote 0
They decided in the last minute to change the aesthetics of the game, this is the new concept:

napoleon_anime_moe_400.jpg

Upvote 0