• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Empire Total War

Mega-noob warning:

Just started the Grand Campaign for the first time after feeling brave enough and managing to win a couple of battles in the quick battles mode. God, I'm even more lost than I am in combat! So many buildings and technologies and things to manage! I put construction and taxes on automanage for the time being, but it doesn't seem like anything is actually being built unless I do it myself. Maybe auto construction is broken?

Anyway, playing as Sweden as they had a smaller territory to manage and almost immediately (1704) Courland declared war on me. No biggy, I thought, as they are small and should be easy to defeat. Wrong. They keep sneaking troops in through Poland-Lithuania and trying to occupy St. Petersburg. I've driven them out multiple times with Deciscive Victories, but any attempt at raiding their homeland has been thwarted. Crossing the bridge instantly means attacking their capital, which I am not ready for. So I've been landing troops on their western border via ships, but as soon as my armies set foot on land, the next turn they send a huge army to assault me. I inflict serious casualties upon them but they still defeat us. :mad:

I believe I'm going to sit back and wait until I've researched mobile artillary, because these Demi-cannons are basically useless, other than pounding a certain area of the battlefield for defensive positions.

Whew! This game is fun, but tough!

Upvote 0
Well, frankly, it looks like turning off fire at will and only turning it on when you're in firing range and need to shoot is the way to go. Remember, whatever you do, don't issue a fire command on enemy troops. Rather, take up a position and order your men to fire at will. If you issue a fire command directly, your men might end up trying to arrange a formation directed at the enemy, losing precious time. Instead, you arrange them after the volley.

What is more, I'd recommend you go to the ETW forums and read a few guides by a fellow named "coman" (as in "Company man's guide to ..."). His guide on economy and artillery had some really good pieces of advice. Partly thanks to his essay on economy, I now sport a booming powerhouse of an economy. Well, read yourself: clicko!

Upvote 0
Well, frankly, it looks like turning off fire at will and only turning it on when you're in firing range and need to shoot is the way to go. Remember, whatever you do, don't issue a fire command on enemy troops. Rather, take up a position and order your men to fire at will. If you issue a fire command directly, your men might end up trying to arrange a formation directed at the enemy, losing precious time. Instead, you arrange them after the volley.
THIS is information I need. Thank you. I wondered what the hell they were doing most of the time when I ordered them to fire.

Upvote 0
Well, Denmark went and declared war on me, too. So I was fighting a war in the south at Courland, basically wiping the floor with their single regiments they sent in to probe my defenses, and then the war in the north with Denmark who was blockading my shipping lane and had taken over the northern port, allowing them access to my mainland.

This went on for a few years until the war in Courland was won in my favor by a siege of their capital. Unfortunately, Denmark's navy was much greater than mine and I couldn't seem to take them down. I finally managed to take back the port and wipe out their occupying forces they had scattered around Sweden. Then, some pirates assaulted Denmark and Prussia's fleets, so I had a chance to transport my siege army from Courland around and sneak into the back of Denmark and land my troops. We assaulted Copenhagen and the battle lasted the full 2 hours I had set in the options. Luckily, we won as the last of their troops were routed at the end, and they had some lineman in a building that my cannons were pounding.

The war with Denmark lasted over 12 years before the time to strike was good. I'm now in like 1740, and finally, I thought I'd have time to devote to the economy and now my Monarch dies and Prussia disputes the successor's claim to the throne and has declared war on me. Doh!! Great game! :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I got the game last week, and have been playing a Prestige Campaign as revolutionary France. Most of the Germanic states except for Saxony declared war on me after the revolution, perhaps thinking that it had left me in a weaker state. This was was much to my advantage since I had prepared an army for such conflicts. After winning those wars and taking their territories, it has been pretty peaceful in the European theatre. Fortunately for me, Great Britain declared war on me around 1730, which gave me the opportunity and right to attack them in the Americas and deprive them of resources. The 13 Colonies came under the direct control of Great Britain earlier in the campaign, which remained largely undefended. Earlier before the war with Great Britain, I had landed an army in Louisiana and brought that protectorate under my control through force. When war was declared, I recruited another army in Quebec and attacked from the north at Maine. I then moved the Louisiana force through the Cherokee Nations and attacked Virginia. Additionally, I transported another army from Europe and landed in the Carolinas. This allowed me to attack the Colonies from all directions, sweeping them within at least four turns. After the east coast was taken, I then conquered the British colonies in the Bahamas and Jamaica. To end British rule in the America, I offered peace in exchance for their Canadian colony of Rupert's Land, and they accepted, thus ending the war with Britain :D

I have been suffering alot of crashes with the game lately though, but I still think the game is very good and enjoyable, so hopefully those issues will be sorted out. Additionally, the modding community for Total War is one of the best, and already there are quite a bit of small mods that have been released.

Upvote 0
There are several mods that tweak the gameplay to make it more challenging and realistic for the player, but since you have just started with the game, I wouldn't recommend it for the moment. However, if you want to check out alot of the mods that have been released, they're all at the TW Center forums, if you haven't been there already.

Upvote 0
Oi, why don't we get together for a multiplayer game or two, lads?

I've barely played three battles so far and I have already come to the conclusion that it's best to play with not anonymous people, because otherwise you get all the fun of "1 ship only!" rule perverted into "you have one ship, i has 12! haha!"

We up, or no?

Upvote 0