• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Empire Total War

My current campaign status:

etwrus.jpg

The story thus far (from my last post to now):
After loading up again after my post victory CTD I was left to assault Stockholm (full stack vs. full stack) again. Luckily the battle played out identically to before so I ended up with a better result than last time. This was handy as the moment I ended the turn a near full stack of Swedish troops marched from Norway and immediately assaulted. My depleted troops had no hope of holding the walls (thanks in part to the terrible unit ai for firing from the walls). I withdrew my troops to the centre of the fort and waited for the enemy to come to me. My rush to the rank firing doctraine was a 2 edged sword, my men were able to break the infantry through weight of fire but skipping square formation led to pitched melee battles with enemy cavalry for the fort square. Eventually I prevailed, Sweden was broken as a military power as it became apparent that they'd thrown their last army at me and Norway was only able to produce militia. After reinforcing my troops and cleaning up their raiding parties with the help of Denmark to stabilise Stockholm, I moved on Norway and consigned the blue and yellow to history.

Soon after the battle for Stockholm my army from Moscow to reinforce my rag tag militia that was fending off Georgian raids on the North Caucasus. They arrived just in time to meet a large Georgian offensive. Although the day was always going to be Russia's, I lost more men than expected, this postponed by attack on Tbilisi whilst I reinforced. At this point Dagestan decided to try their luck against my weakened troops, their attack was utterly crushed and their now defence-less capital soon served as a nice outpost for my troops to replenish. The next year Tbilisi was taken and the Ottomans accepted my offer of peace.

After subduing Courland (Poland-Lith kept out of it) my empire entered a period of peace. Armies were disbanded and funds reallocated to upgrading my infrastructure, gentlemen returned to colleges to advance my naval and non military technologies and the cabinet reshuffled (mainly because I realised I could do it). Once research had caught up with the rest of Europe my Baltic and Black Sea fleets came in to existence as a deterrent to any naval threats.

After a decade of peace with my only concerns being my newly educated lower classes clamouring for reform my sleeping bear was awoken by Prussia declaring war on my trusted ally Denmark. My rakes reported that that their armies were off in west on the Danish border, leaving our mutual border undefended. My veteren troops and general were rushed to the front and easily took Konisberg, my newly raised forces then leapfrogged them and opened the route to Berlin for my experienced troops. They ambushed at a river crossing by a reinforcing Prussian army, the balance of forces screen informed me that reinforcements were enroute from Berlin, it was my 1000~ against their 2000~.

Luckily I started in control of the only ford on the battle map, whilst my line infantry stalled their infantry mid crossing and held their cavalry at bay my grenadiers bombarded them until they broke. Another battle for the ford was avoided when my light infantry managed to kill the enemy general as he led his rallied men, their already weakened morale was destroyed and then ran for their lives. No sooner than defeating this attack a volley of cannon fire to my rear signaled the arrival of the reinforcements from Berlin. I galloped my cavalry to knock the cannon but they were driven off by fire from line infantry only managing to weaken one crew. This had bought me the time to reposition my infantry on the high ground intime to meet and rebuff their attack. Led by a brigadier breaking these men once was all that was required and soon my cavalry were mopping up the stragglers. Berlin was now an open city and was captured with out a shot fired. My Baltic fleet earned it's first honors by crushing the Prussian fleet that had now been denied a safe port. Prussia is now at it's knees whilst my armies leapfrog south taking province after province from armed citizenry.

Upvote 0
I'm playing as austria. First thing was build a medium army and attack the osman empire. Went pretty smooth, I captured Bulgaria, Bosnia, Serbia and Moldavia then made them sign a 'peace'-treaty because otherwise I would've invaded Istanbul. Meanwhile Saxonia, Venice and Spain had declared war on me. So first I beat Venice, but they won't surrender because they still got some really small island somewhere near greece I think, then captured Lombardia(Spain didn't do any harm to me even until now) and then Brandenburg. In the meantime again Prussia had declared war on me. It took me a while to gather all my forces and send them north, but now I'm fighting Prussia for like 15 years and still did not manage to defeat them. I eventually managed to capture Berlin I think it was(or whatever is the capital of Prussia pretty high up north) but some of their troops actually managed to break through and take Vienna which I left pretty much undefended because I did not expect the enemy forces to magically break through and move 5 provinces down to capture my capital while I'm capturing their whole mainland. Anyways now I pretty much control the old prussian territory but Brandenburg won't stop rebelling so I can't pull the whole military down to retake Vienna but only send small to medium troops and naturally retaking Vienna is not easy because the unit defending it is a pretty good full strenght unit.

This advance of Prussia kinda broke the experience a bit because I think that's just totally unrealistic. Anyways I think once I defeated Prussia for once and all I might try to make peace with Spain and then restore order at my balkan provinces as they tend to revolt sooo easily.

Upvote 0
Finally played the game tonight and love it so far. Haven't started the campaign, but I'm glad to say performance is miles ahead of the demo. I can run everything on High with the bells & whistles with no slowdowns.

What kind of multiplayer is offered? I had heard talk a while back about online campaign? Is that just a rumor or did that pan out? Looking forward to playing you guys online, but seeing as how this is my first total war game, I think I may need a lot of practice so I don't embarass myself. :p

Upvote 0
So....I suck at this game. While I've not lost any battles yet (fighting the Natives in the Road to Independence campaign ATM), I seem to be having trouble managing the sheer amount of forces at my disposal! I end up commanding one group at a time and it seems like I'm just frantically sending people around the battle map.

Like I said earlier, this is my first "Total War" game, and I'm not sure how to properly play. The tutorial is pretty barren. Does anyone have any pointers/tips? Do real life strategies work? What's the best way to position troops pre-battle, etc. I'm lost! This game is DEEP, but very awesome. I have no problem on the turn-based map, as it's similar to the Civilization series I just need some help in the battlefield! Any help or links to websites would be appreciated, guys!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So....I suck at this game. While I've not lost any battles yet (fighting the Natives in the Road to Independence campaign ATM), I seem to be having trouble managing the sheer amount of forces at my disposal! I end up commanding one group at a time and it seems like I'm just frantically sending people around the battle map.

Like I said earlier, this is my first "Total War" game, and I'm not sure how to properly play. The tutorial is pretty barren. Does anyone have any pointers/tips? Do real life strategies work? What's the best way to position troops pre-battle, etc. I'm lost! This game is DEEP, but very awesome. I have no problem on the turn-based map, as it's similar to the Civilization series I just need some help in the battlefield! Any help or links to websites would be appreciated, guys!

real life tactics work.

keep your units close together to prevent getting surrounded and try to surround the enemies by flanking.

best way to learn is just playing it a load of times.

Upvote 0
Hell yeah I finally (almost) defeated Prussia! I managed to finally crush their main army, then everything went pretty easy, captured my old provinces back and now East-Prussia. They now only have Lithuania left over and only very few troops. Then I can finally have peace for some time and build stuff in the eastern provinces(which are pretty much always behind). In the meantime I also made peace with Spain again.

After the upcoming peace phase I'm probably going to ask Poland to give me their provinces(I need 'poland' to win), but as I don't expect them to do this it'll probably come to a war, but this time I'm much more experienced and won't make the mistakes I made in the war with Prussia. Also I'll sooner or later have to attack osman empire again(need rumelia as it's an objective) and maybe when I'm already on the way place a foot on african ground.

Upvote 0
Playing the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth and after some twenty years of mostly low-key war against Sweden, I have managed to expand through Estonia (crazy and chaotic fortress assault), St. Petersburg (even more chaotic urban fight), Finland (slaughtered the helpless citizens-at-arms) and to Stockholm itself.

With my big stack of line troops and uhlans under a young and renowned general I besieged Stockholm, only to have to defend twice against their attempts at lifting the siege - both times winning a decisive victory against a numerically superior foe. That the general has the "cavalryman" trait and that I was able to bring the uhlans with their excellent charge bonus to bear on the enemy flanks was very helpful.

Now it's the last Swedish stack between me and Norway. I'm going to try to evade them and make them attack me - or get to the city in Norway, if I can.

Also, the game runs quite okay, I haven't had much problems with it. While noticeable slow-downs while moving the camera during big battles are there, it is not affecting the experience in any detrimental way.

Upvote 0