• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Embassy Guards

Bluehawk

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 13, 2006
Hamilton, ON
I was wondering, does anyone know what organization provided security to the German embassies during the Nazi era, as in an analogue to say US embassies' Marines? Were they regular Heer, some detachment of the SS like the Begleitskommando?

I really can't find any information on this anywhere.

rofl yes thank you I know all about the United States Marine Corps and its purpose in the US military.

But in the specific context of diplomatic missions, Marines serve as security.

msgshieldiq9.jpg

All I want to know is the Third Reich's equivalent.

Upvote 0
That's a possibility.

The only thing I've found so far is from this rather sketchy website http://www.chaosacrossamerica.com/RSHA/RSHA.htm which I'm reluctant to trust, and it states that the Leibstandarte, later to be the LSSAH, which was autonomous enough in the pre-war era but became part of the Waffen-SS proper during Barbarossa, provided security.

Perhaps elements of the division still served overseas at those embassies not yet retracted?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Maybe there was not so much security at embassies at all, this mostly came after the war? Like the huge embassies the US has now. And embassies were smaller, maybe only consulates?

I was going to say... maybe do research on the embassies themselves first. I'm trying to figure out where there would have been Gerry embassies during WWII... Perhaps in Japan, Italy, the friendly countries (but not "occupied")...?

Upvote 0
I know that prior to WWI at least, at least some of the embassy security was pulled from regular infantry units.

Here's an excerpt from the history of a General that I was researching not too long ago:

13.07.1894 Fahnenjunker im 2. bayrischen Inf.Rgt.
24.05.1896 Leutnant im 19. bayrischen Inf.Rgt.
30.09.1900 chinesischer Dolmetscher im 4. ostasiatischen Inf.Rgt.
01.05.1901 bei der Gesandschaftswache in Peking
18.11.1903 zur

Upvote 0