• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Elitism?

Neom.1r

Grizzled Veteran
May 26, 2011
What's with the HoE servers where when you join, if you don't leave when asked, you get banned?

Don't want to play the perk they want (regardless of player skill)? Banned (I also don't enjoy my zerker, it's way too easy and is not what I'm looking for when I play kf. I actually like teamwork and shooting things.

The ones where teammates deliberately abandon a position leaving you to die, for no reason. Calling them (a dickhead) out for it gets you a ban.

The ones where they tk you as soon as you spawn when knowing ff is on therefore on purpose, and when you tk'd back, you get a ban?

I don't care about being banned, theres plenty of servers, but why is this so common in KF? Started playing again, lvl6perks, and had this happened 4 times in 3 days.

And why are 50% of people playing zerker/firebug now :/

Well, some people need map achievements, especially on HoE, and it get's pretty frustrating if someone joins and does there own thing [which destroys the purpose of teamwork]. Like runs off, doesn't want to listen, etc. Those are the things that can get you kicked.

Not saying you are, but you could just be a bad listener. Which is probably the reason you're getting banned.

Upvote 0
Just to clarify I've been playing for about 1.5 years and am a 'good' player (people throw the terms 'bad' and 'good' around on a forum as if they actually mean something) as that is what a number of the buddies who have added me on KF have told me. Like the text in the thread says, come back after a few months break (it doesn't say that) and I have been banned from servers for simply joining halfway through a wave.

I don't get all this banning for what are in my dumb reasons 'Oh no, someone joined with some zeds left, it's gonna be harder'. The sad thing is that rEason is a real one, unfortunately. Just wondering why, more than anything. Is it elitism, or does the forum see that as a legitimate excuse to ban people for no reason (lets assume this isn't me, so we can actually get a discussion, as this has just happened to my friend who doesn't even talk unless he's spoken too, nice guy and all that stuff).

What gives, KF HoE community?

Upvote 0
You probably suck or you're not a good team player if you're getting banned that often. None of my friends have ever had this problem and I've literally never been banned except for the errant douchebag/psychotic admin (you know who I'm talking about).

Not trying to be mean, but if it's that common, then the problem is you dude.

I roll with Deafmute.

Upvote 0
Problem is, it's not. As this has only happened to me as well as my friend in the last 4 days or so only, over a sample of how long I've played, logic dictates that it's not me. However, logic may be going over your heads :( This isn't about me, it's about whether it's acceptable to be banning people for the reasons stated.

Shouldn't have posted in /general, should I? :(

Upvote 0
Just to clarify I've been playing for about 1.5 years and am a 'good' player (people throw the terms 'bad' and 'good' around on a forum as if they actually mean something) as that is what a number of the buddies who have added me on KF have told me. Like the text in the thread says, come back after a few months break (it doesn't say that) and I have been banned from servers for simply joining halfway through a wave.

I don't get all this banning for what are in my dumb reasons 'Oh no, someone joined with some zeds left, it's gonna be harder'. The sad thing is that rEason is a real one, unfortunately. Just wondering why, more than anything. Is it elitism, or does the forum see that as a legitimate excuse to ban people for no reason (lets assume this isn't me, so we can actually get a discussion, as this has just happened to my friend who doesn't even talk unless he's spoken too, nice guy and all that stuff).

What gives, KF HoE community?

You're not getting banned for no reason.

Look, I have to agree with Deafmute too. In >600 hours I've extremely rarely run into the problem of banning while playing on a server I did not run. It sounds like it may be you.

EDIT: I just saw your update, and I'm afraid you're the one missing the point. Admins can ban for any reason they like, it's like this in any game with dedicated servers that players host (DayZ excluded iirc), and if you find you and your social group are having a problem with it then you are doing something that is attracting bans. It could be voice spam between you, it could be hogging server slots, or you could all just be annoying/bad in some way, or it could be something seemingly trivial that is affecting it. If it really becomes an issue though you have to inspect what you are doing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Calling someone with admin capabilities a dickhead
Getting banned
Being surprised

But yeah, some people take that game way too seriously. If you don't have some kind of recognition among your local players, you can get kicked without a chance to play, because they don't want to risk increased difficulty for an unknown player that can die in the first 5 minutes. And there's also the whole 'pseudoclans taking over public servers' thing.

Also, when there's a kite game, there's a kite game. It's ok when someone has a different class and plays along. It's great to have commando clearing crawlers. It's great when sharpie kills husks and sirens from distance. Support that knows how to solo scrakes is always welcomed, and so on... But when someone comes and repeatedly rages fleshpounds and scrakes that would otherwise be harmlessly killed, it gets on people's nerves. Of course idk if you do that. Just saying.

Upvote 0
Problem is, it's not. As this has only happened to me as well as my friend in the last 4 days or so only, over a sample of how long I've played, logic dictates that it's not me. However, logic may be going over your heads :( This isn't about me, it's about whether it's acceptable to be banning people for the reasons stated.

Shouldn't have posted in /general, should I? :(

Please don't post a thread and act like we're being daft when your question wasn't clear in the first place. I feel it is acceptable to kick someone who joins on wave 9 if you're trying to get an HoE achievement. As much as we would all like to give players the benefit of the doubt, I've had too many games that were going wonderfully until a random joined and did something stupid to make us wipe.

It's not elitism or being super overly serious, it's the simple fact that HoE games usually take at least an hour, and people tend to get annoyed when that hour of their time was wasted. To answer your question: yes, if you're doing something to bother the team or you're a random late-joiner, you really can't be surprised when you get kicked.

Edit: Just to be clear, I have all HoE achievements and couldn't care less who joins when, but it's certainly understandable if someone needs the map.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That's because they ARE dickheads. Not you.:p

I reminded the days when I wasn't LV6 on commando. When I join a korean server (S.korea, I am in china and all servers i can join without huge latency is the chinese ones or the korean ones.), they sometimes type and threat to kick me out. I'd just rock commando and rack a lot of kills with even the most primary weapons to shut their mouths.

Just remember not to insult players with swearwords such as "dickhead" in the very beginning of your play.

Upvote 0
What's with the HoE servers where when you join, if you don't leave when asked, you get banned?

Don't want to play the perk they want (regardless of player skill)? Banned (I also don't enjoy my zerker, it's way too easy and is not what I'm looking for when I play kf. I actually like teamwork and shooting things.

The ones where teammates deliberately abandon a position leaving you to die, for no reason. Calling them (a dickhead) out for it gets you a ban.

The ones where they tk you as soon as you spawn when knowing ff is on therefore on purpose, and when you tk'd back, you get a ban?

I don't care about being banned, theres plenty of servers, but why is this so common in KF? Started playing again, lvl6perks, and had this happened 4 times in 3 days.

And why are 50% of people playing zerker/firebug now :/

You mean kicked from the present session or you mean permanently banned from a server?

I have been permabanned once: joined a server as spec until wave finishes > see players using a glitch on Manor > after a few minutes, i was permabanned and most likely all other players as well. I suspect an adm. checked in, saw the exploit and banned...EVERYTHING AND ALL!!! Actually, adm did right! I do not care for myself, but it was good he permabanned all the cheaters!

But kicked from a session? That is not uncommon and the main reason is that a slot is wished to be reserved for friends. Another common reason is having an unwanted perk at the start - this is kind of silly, simply ask the player to change instead of kicking right away. I sometimes joke with Clan-servers: i join and then just ask them:-"Kick?" and i immediately get an answer:-"Yes!". When it doesn

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm glad to get some responses relating to the topic rather than the perceived 'player'. I'm a 'good' player (which as I said, calling people good/bad means NOTHING on a forum unless you have seen the person in qestion play) and so is my friend, but this is besides the point (as I tried to say) as it's not up for debate; if any of you want to play, pm me, always nice to have more HoE friends. Maybe it's because he only plays xbow/m99 sharpy? Just realised this and there is another trend I'm noticing re; m99...

Although I'll admit calling an admit a dickhead after their perfect example of hypocrisy, then proceeded to tk me might be a bit harsh and unfair on him...

As as I pointed out with LOGIC, not BIAS OPINION, the time frame this has happened over proves for a more than reliable sample. I have 300 hours played and have been playing for 1.5 years, and all of this has been recent as I said... which kind of nullifies the 'it's something you're doing' arguement, as if it was, surely this would have happened the last 250 or so hours and not the few evenings in the last 7 days? I mean, regardless of your opinion, that's a large sample.

However it seems to kick people joining halfway through wave3 for 'the remainder of the game session' is something that is not really fair, but happens regardless.

Not had this in any other games as frequently over well over a decade of playing online games. It just came as quite a shock to be joining a game with people I had never had any contact with (unless they change pseudonym's but even that it wouldn't matter. Unless that one admin holds a grudge on multiple servers lol :p) kick/ban for 'remainder of current session'. So I decided to make a forum post and see what the consensus was with it, and the answers and attitudes really helped, thanks!

Just realised, we've been playing m99 sharp's lately to farm some HoE achievemtns we didn't have (we've gotten 3 so far), which started around the same time as this; so I can only say in agreement with the 'it must be you lol, can't possibly be other people must be OP' crowd that you are correct in saying that it could be because we are playing dual m99 sharps using our own voice comms to coordinate targets on certain fps etc... Which is quite annoying if we're being kicked because we work as a team, but that could be it.

Upvote 0
Im pretty sure all that can be said, has been said. Ive found myself kicked from HoE servers wenever I join and its the last two waves (9 & 10. Some how they dont mind me joining just before the 11th wave, as long as I join as a level 6 sharpy and ask fr money to get armor and ammo). If I start seeing a vote kick put up against me, I just leave. If its in the middle of a round, I just ask them if its ok for me to join, and if so, what class do they want me to play as. Usally they don;t mind when I ask that, and if they say "Hey, <my name>, could you please leave?" I do get annoyed, but I always say "Sure, but do you guys need a medic/sharpy/zerk/etc.?" If they say no, then I just leave.

Now, like the guys above said, there are some admins who are complete a**wipes who ban any and everything that they please. I know I joined a server on HoE during the end of the 3rd wave, and got insta baned for no reason (stupid guy didnt even have an admin e-mail :( ) but its better to get kicked/banned from the server before you play, than playing and suddenly getting booted. Also, you mentioned the m99, and ive heard of people kicking players who use it, and I for one, do not like that weapon because it is way too OP for lower dificulties, and fairly OP on the higher difficulties.

Basically, just keep server hopping and see if you can get lucky sometime. As long as it isn't a permban, then time will heal the wounds of those who ban you, and they most likely won't remember you, nor will remember them.

Upvote 0
I'm glad to get some responses relating to the topic rather than the perceived 'player'. [...] Maybe it's because he only plays xbow/m99 sharpy? Just realised this and there is another trend I'm noticing re; m99...

As as I pointed out with LOGIC, not BIAS OPINION [...]

Just realised, we've been playing m99 sharp's lately to farm some HoE achievemtns we didn't have (we've gotten 3 so far), which started around the same time as this; so I can only say in agreement with the 'it must be you lol, can't possibly be other people must be OP' crowd that you are correct in saying that it could be because we are playing dual m99 sharps using our own voice comms to coordinate targets on certain fps etc... Which is quite annoying if we're being kicked because we work as a team, but that could be it.

You just contradicted yourself, and you sound extremely condescending. You're probably being kicked because you might be unlikable. :)

Upvote 0
I only kick terrible players from my server. Those that are bad and cant listen or are just plain obnoxious.

However I recently added the Noobfilter mutator on my public Hell On Earth servers and they often kick in (its set to kick level 2 and below). Those may annoy newcomers but also prevents them from having a real bad experience in Hell On Earth.

Upvote 0
You just contradicted yourself, and you sound extremely condescending. You're probably being kicked because you might be unlikable. :)

That's not contradictory though.... Maybe I'm unlikable, maybe not. Maybe you are unlikable, maybe not. See, that was easy to do.... I'll add a smiley as well :)

I sound condescending because people are making huge assumptions, like you are right now,obviously not being open to the possibility the OP is actually what is says, rather than thinking 'wow, there must be a noob secret here, I'll find it and show the board how good I am', which is obviously quite annoying to repeatedly have to explain :)

I was unaware the thread would turn out as ironic as it has done :)

I am a 'good' player (for the 4th time, that doesn't mean anything on a forum), I only called the admin a dickhead after quite a few waves of good play (from him included) when he suddenly tk'd us ON PURPOSE, so yes I was annoyed there. How is it so hard to believe what I'm saying is correct, that nothing was provoked, and that I have been kicked for no apparent reason, and so has my friend who is a lot more 'likeable' than myself.

Like I said, the users posting without assumptions and pre-concieved ideas were actually really useful and we've decided not to dual m99 (Or I have lol); funny how they all came up with the same answer.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Like I said, the users posting without assumptions and pre-concieved ideas were actually really useful and we've decided not to dual m99 (Or I have lol); funny how they all came up with the same answer.

My second post:

Admins can ban for any reason they like, it's like this in any game with dedicated servers that players host (DayZ excluded iirc), and if you find you and your social group are having a problem with it then you are doing something that is attracting bans. It could be voice spam between you, it could be hogging server slots, or you could all just be annoying/bad in some way, or it could be something seemingly trivial that is affecting it. If it really becomes an issue though you have to inspect what you are doing.

Interestingly enough, I'm that user. I'm sorry that you can't handle the responses... you probably shouldn't have posted them if you can't. You should stop being so reactionary, it's embarrassing.

Upvote 0