• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Sound Editing Sound Cues, limitations and questions

Cwivey

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 14, 2011
In the hills! (of England)
As I (and other people) have had varied experiences with the little mod that I created a while back, I need to ask these questions about editing sound cues in the SDK;

• What are (If any) the limitations to changing values for volume, pitch and adding extra nodes to sound cues?

• Are certain sound cues un-changeable because they may be used for exploits (E.G enemy weapon sounds / footsteps)?

• Is there a master file that needs to be changed along-side the sound cues to ensure that they work as intended?

Thanks in advance.

Anyone able to shed some light on this or shall I just let this one disappear into the mists of time. :<

They dont know!!! It was a very long time since I got interested into making a soundmod for RO2, but after a long struggle trying to ask the devs who made the sounds and who could help me, I got the answer (finally) that they hired their soundguy and hes not active at all in upcoming updates unless they go and hire him again. But to me the RO2 sounds, sounds **** compared to RO1.

I've tried to understand the editor and how to "replace" existing sounds and go from there, but it seemed to me that I had to make all new sounds with no guidelines at all in a mutator. It would be easier to just "copy" the whole soundarchive from RO2 and rebuild from there. Then make a mutator for the new sounds. Doesn't seem to work.

I think I can give it a shot sometime again.

But from what I've discovered, there are both "handmade"/recorded reverbs and UE3 engine built reverbs (that sound ****ing ****!!!) just by attaching premade effects to the sounds with nodes. This is lame and I would want to just go for real reverbs depending on where you are like:
  • Inside small/big/bigger
  • Outside small/big/bigger

I've also noticed that you have to have either recorded automatic fire sounds with loop, and that goes aswell with the echoes/reverbs or make the loopsounds yourself with a singleshot playing the same sound all the time.

Semi-auto and single-fire weapons would be the easiest part to do aswell as explosions and such.

I'll give it a go in the future as I said, but this seems alittle untenable when heading on into blindness without really knowing wtf you're doing.

So, some nice guidelines here or the devs/moderators could rather erase the whole soundmodding community.

Thats all from me,

Anders

Last edited:
Upvote 0
There are almost no limitations for editing sound cues. I encourage you to try things out and see how it plays, but if I were making a sound mod are a few things I would steer clear of.

1) Changes to distance/priority of sounds. It's very easy for RO2 to max out the sound channels on most cards and at that point some sounds will start cutting out.

2) Changes to loading or compression settings. Some audio, especially VO and surround sound weapons take a lot of memory.

Upvote 0
I have ZERO experience modding in RO2 or even in any SDK setup. I modded Battlefield 1942 and Vietnam quite heavily within my old clan as we wanted new weapon sounds and bigger maps, just quick stuff to change really and put on our private servers.
Here's my question: How do I import my sexy-as-all-hell M1 Garand firing sound (just the standard shot, not the firing when empty), into the game?

I've opened the SDK and browsed around, but I have no idea what I'm doing. I'm not sure of the difference between "sound cue" and "sound node wave."
Here's what I want to do: Every weapon sounds amazing, except the M1 Garand imo (not saying it sucks, just isn't what I like to hear). I have a sound clip taken from The Thin Red line that has the beautiful echo trailing off the end of the rifle crack, and the sound the rifle makes is just amazing. I have a .wav and a .mp3 saved, I just need to know how the heck I get the sound into the game. This is something I want to do just for my own personal machine, not a server or public use. Maybe if it works out I can try and make a public mod but for right now I just want the sound to be good in my own little world.

Thanks

Upvote 0
I have ZERO experience modding in RO2 or even in any SDK setup. I modded Battlefield 1942 and Vietnam quite heavily within my old clan as we wanted new weapon sounds and bigger maps, just quick stuff to change really and put on our private servers.
Here's my question: How do I import my sexy-as-all-hell M1 Garand firing sound (just the standard shot, not the firing when empty), into the game?

I've opened the SDK and browsed around, but I have no idea what I'm doing. I'm not sure of the difference between "sound cue" and "sound node wave."
Here's what I want to do: Every weapon sounds amazing, except the M1 Garand imo (not saying it sucks, just isn't what I like to hear). I have a sound clip taken from The Thin Red line that has the beautiful echo trailing off the end of the rifle crack, and the sound the rifle makes is just amazing. I have a .wav and a .mp3 saved, I just need to know how the heck I get the sound into the game. This is something I want to do just for my own personal machine, not a server or public use. Maybe if it works out I can try and make a public mod but for right now I just want the sound to be good in my own little world.

Thanks

I can help!

In the SDK near the packages in the lower right portion of the content browser there is an import button. Simply click it and browse to your sound.
Now, the engine only accepts .wav files. It also cannot place sounds with more than one channel in 3d space to my knowledge. Make the files 16bit 44.1 kHz too.

Your best bet is to have a stereo version for first person sounds and a mono version for 3rd. Each one would have it's own sound cue, which are objects the game uses to apply effects to and play sounds. This is the system the game uses.

Now here we find a problem: the game isn't coded to use your sounds. You could clone the proper RS package and replace your desired sounds, but that is not recommended because of files mismatching online etc.

Now, I offer you a solution. I've been developing a sound mutator to accomplish exactly what you wish to do. I'm replacing the sounds in the game with my own or simply modifying existing ones.

It's slow going with my day job taking me out of town each week unfortunately. I don't have the resources to record my own sounds. I will happily include your sound in my mod.

You can check it out under General Discussion and General Modding Discussion.
Please let me know if you're interested!

Upvote 0