• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

"echo" something, without using "Say"

DasB

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 4, 2013
Germany
Hi there,

a brief question, maybe one of you guys can help me out here. I'm messing around with some binds and I would like to know, if there is a way to output something to console or the chat area, which is only readable by me.

Example:

Code:
Set input b tosscash 1000 | [I]echo Dance for me[/I]

Any advice / ideas?

Closest things I can think of are 'teamsay' & 'type', however neither will do what you want. 'Teamsay' is displayed to others because you're always on the same team and 'type' is just to do console commands easily, you'll simply get "unrecognised command" in the console rather than what you wrote.
I've looked around for different commands, and achieved whacky things with binds so I wouldn't say it's impossible, but I don't see it happening as easily as you would like.
Only other thing I could think of is somehow getting it to happen using 'set' command in some way or 'exec' or something, not hopeful.

But really, why do you want this? Couldn't you just as easily think these sentences in your head upon pressing those keys?
It's just completely pointless to me, to print something on your screen only.

Upvote 0
But really, why do you want this? Couldn't you just as easily think these sentences in your head upon pressing those keys?
It's just completely pointless to me, to print something on your screen only.

I want to store different key/mouse button configurations to my numlock keys.

For instance: Num1 ->

Code:
Set input num1 set input mouse4 getweapon kfmod.mp5mmedicgun | echo Medic Mode active

same for Num2-Num9, different configurations

Num0 could be something like:

Code:
set input num0 say Weapons Binds: Num1, Medic | say num2 Support etc. etc. etc.

I hope that makes sense :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I see your problem. Don't know how you could achieve local messages.

Might I advise editing user.ini in-case your embedded set input commands get confusing or create odd behavior.
Code:
NumPad1=Set Input Mouse4 GetWeapon mp5mmedicgun
You shouldn't need the kfmod prefix for GetWeapon commands.

You might be stuck with just trying to remember what you programmed to each key.

Upvote 0
Thanks for all your input.

A friend of mine suggested to use the "Join" command.

I tried that out and this is actually something, that works good enough for me.

So the command would be like:

Code:
join "this is a test"

Which returns the following:

gMWYlv2.jpg

Kinda ugly but it works.

Last edited:
Upvote 0